News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac transmission rebuilder in SW Michigan?

Started by carguyblack, December 27, 2016, 08:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Does anyone have a recommendation of a really good transmission person within a reasonable distance of SW Michigan? I'm halfway between Chicago and Detroit along I-94, about 2 hours either direction from those places. I'd really like to have it done right the first time. My last car's re-builder has since died but he didn't know enough about those things even though he was of the right era and said he did and mine always shifted hard into 3rd and leaked right out of the gate because certain seals weren't replaced. I'd like to learn from my past if I could!
My present transmission really operates well but it does have some leaking from where I don't know. Since I'm re-doing the engine, it would be a real treat to not have dripping anymore from anywhere. Is there any wisdom in just getting the seals done and not disturbing the inner which presently works so nicely? Or does it necessitate a complete overhaul to get to all the seals anyway?
Thanks in advance for the wisdom!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

savemy67

Hello Chuck,

It seems that it would be a low-cost, low-risk endeavor to replace the "external" seals if you cannot determine the source of the leak.  Your post said you are re-doing the engine, so is the transmission separated from the engine?  If so, I would hope that a good shop could replace those seals without having to get into the more critical internals.

If such an endeavor does not stop the leak, you may want to consider living with the leak for a while until you can get a solid recommendation from some CLC members about a shop near you.  Good luck.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

jwjohnson86

Recommend contacting the CLC's Motor City Region leadership for some suggestions.  Feel free to join as well!  I'm in Mid Michigan but fortunately haven't needed any trans work.
1970 DeVille Convertible 472 cid

http://bit.ly/1NhHpdt

signart

I faced the same dilemma when I first got my '53 in 2003. After some adjustment of the tv rod, I thought it operated as well as could be expected, but it leaked everywhere it could leak. I could not find any rebuilder that I felt I could trust, so I just pulled it. It had never been out of the car before. After going back & forth on what to do I just replaced all the seals that could leak externally and put it back in. The first time it went through the gears, it felt like a fresh built tranny. Just the fluid change helped it that much. Trans has not given any problem since.
If it were mine and it works right, I would not "fix" it. I'd just stop the leaks.
Art D. Woody

carguyblack

All good stuff to chew on. I have a little time - like all winter! There is a guy locally who has retired from his transmission shop but is well qualified. However, I recall that he had to have the transmission in the car and he'd do it from start to finish - no compromise. I'll have to check with him now that there is no way to have it and the car together in his shop anymore. I do like the idea of not disturbing a good thing and just doing the seals. But on my last car that leaked after being rebuilt, when I went to have it fixed the guy told me there was some seal (speedo or shift linkage area?) that needed to be pressed out when the thing is rebuilt. Not something that could be done after the fact. I just don't understand enough about those hydramatics to enter the discussion. I'm just a "Yes,sir!" guy when it comes to those things.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

signart

I remember replacing a seal at the shifter shaft but didn't press anything out. There would be some differences in the two tranny's, so couldn't say on the '56.
I have record of the place I bought the kit on file. I'd have to look, but be glad to send the info if interested.
Only problem I had was the yoke on the drive shaft had a groove worn in it, but I concocted a bypass for that groove.
Art D. Woody

J. Gomez

Chuck,

I would second the same suggestions made by folks above. Since yours was/is working fine except for the leaks, the best option would be to just refresh it with new seals, as the old say goes “if it ain’t broke why fix it”..!   ;)

You can check fastco.com or autrotran.us for the specific kit you may need, I know fastco offers three types depending on your needs I believe autotran has the same.

Quote from: carguyblack on December 29, 2016, 09:15:23 PM
But on my last car that leaked after being rebuilt, when I went to have it fixed the guy told me there was some seal (speedo or shift linkage area?) that needed to be pressed out when the thing is rebuilt.

Not sure about this  ??? the only “press seal” on the transmission would be the front flywheel housing and the rear main shaft extension.

The throttle and manual lever shaft (shift linkage shaft) have standard “O” rings, these are a bit finicky as both shafts need to be in good shape no binding/bent, etc. Now not sure about the speedo driving gear internal seals.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

dplotkin

Chuck:
You can certainly do the pan gasket yourself and doing so is consistent with the old adage that you should always do the simple stuff first. Take the pan down and put a straight edge on the flanges to make sure they are straight. If not, you will need to straighten them by tapping them out, then a new gasket & see what you get. Try that.

Also, give my friend Steve Poluso a call on  617-446-5882 (http://www.westroxburyleemyles.com/About-Us). Tell him Danny Plotkin sent you. Steve is the formost rebuilder of antique automatics anywhere I know of. He did my 56 Cadillac & my 62 Bonneville. Folks ship him transmissions from Europe to be redone. Ask Steve if he has an associate near you. Steve belongs to ATRA so he should be able to connect you with his equivalent close by.

The controlled coupling Hydra Matic needs familiar hands and eyes (as does the original version, the Slim Jim, the Dual Path and the rest of GM's odd ball and often difficult to fix mixers).

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

David King (kz78hy)

Chuck,

I used this place to go through my '58 transmission when I woke the car up 8 years ago.  These guys work on a lot of old stuff and know their way around a Hydramatic.

http://transunlimitedinc.com

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Barry M Wheeler #2189

When I had my tranny from my '81 Seville resealed about 18 months ago, I went to the oldest shop in town. The guy "did not need" my shop manual he said. To date, the car shifts fine and doesn't seem to leak anymore. My external speedo gear had some partially stripped teeth. I had filed the bad places down but I asked the guy while I was paying for the job if they had any. He went and obtained a box of varying colors and voila', there was a bright yellow/green one lying on top.

He didn't really want to sell it, but I finally got a price of $15 out of him and I took it quickly.

The advise given seems to try doing the external seals first. You might try that shop given near Detroit. Many of that type of shop really do rely on their reputation and try to do the best job possible. Might be worth a phone call. Good luck. BW
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Janousek

There is a guy in Battle Creek that rebuilds old transmissions.   I had him do a 59' Caddy a few years ago and it has over 10k trouble free miles.   He's the resident dynaflow and hydramatic guy around here.  He doesn't pull them though.  That is up to you. 

Might be a little East of you but a lot closer than Detroit.   If I wasn't so busy I could pull it but I don't have the time right now. 

carguyblack

Here's the latest update on my adventure:
Thanks very much for the assist in finding a qualified transmission person. As these suggestions were coming, I went back to ancient history (1997 when he rebuilt my first Cadillac transmission for me) and asked an expert in these who had retired a few years ago and sold his shop if he'd be willing to take a look. He not only was willing to look at it but was willing and able to do a complete job of it! I took him 3 of my transmissions (fortunately so as each one had its own set of problems). The transmission I thought was fine and just needed to be sealed was just about ready to explode, he pointed out. There was internal welding, hammered parts, Ford bearings and spun bearing and seats to name a few of the problems. 2 of the bell housings were junk because of the spun bearings.  Between the 3 units, he will be able to build a good one for me. Only 2 major parts will need to be new, one of which is now finally reproduced and the other is common to a number of more recent transmissions - along with the usual rebuild kit and clutch packs etc. I am so glad he took it apart for me yesterday when he did and discovered these things before I became stranded. He guessed I had less than 500 grace miles left before it totally wrecked. At that point, it couldn't have been rebuilt as the needle bearings would have been chewed in the sun gear etc.
I believe I'll have a happy ending to this story, but seeing as my expert guy is in his 70's now, it would be helpful to know of that person in Battle Creek for future reference. Would you be willing to share the name?
Thanks much!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE