News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Weatherstripping vent windows 1956 sedan deville

Started by rocket52, December 28, 2016, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket52

I repleaced the weatherstripping of the ventwindow of my 1956 Sedan DeVille.
Bu it seems that the window won't close...

Tips and tricks ?

carguyblack

Did you make certain that the rubber was forced into the track completely? It needs to butt up against all the chrome uniformly. The side where the screws draw it in are a bugger as well. If you only used the force of the screws to draw it into the frame, you may have pulled the embedded brass reinforcement out of the rubber and therefore have created a pinch in that area. Those are a couple of issues I have run across as I have done 3 cars like yours. Use silicone all the way around as you are working that rubber and you'll find it goes home much more easily. I have always used Steele and found them very good. My issue of fit came into play only on the vent frame that I had welded so that it was either distorted or the weld had built up in the channel where the rubber was supposed to go. No doubt about it that they take quite a bit of finesse. By the way, silicone them all up good when finished installing and the vent glass will suck in better when you open and close the wing window itself.
Hope this helps.   Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

walt chomosh #23510

I had mine replaced by my local glass shop who does a lot of vintage cars  using steele rubber and am disappointed with the final product! My vent windows are hard to operate. The glass guys said "it's hard to duplicate the factory"! This is true......walt....tulsa,ok

carguyblack

That's true but my bet is there is still a portion that is not quite all the way in the track. There are grooves that take a bit of effort to make them go into. I'm assuming they are all in the car now? You can't be a reaming on those guys once they are in the car. As you know, it doesn't take an awful lot to crack them.
If not in the car yet, lay them on edge on a hard wood surface and guide all around with a thin putty knife (after silconing them)  using a narrow blunt wood dowel to push them into the track. I'm only guessing but it will be very rewarding in the end to feel a relief in the rubber as it goes into place. Your wing should snug into that just fine after that. That's not to deny that a bad piece of rubber might not exist!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

cadman56

I replaced these rubber vent window seals in my 1956 Convertible.  Very difficult, take your time.  Vent windows worked very nicely and didn't leak when washing or when I got caught in the rain.
Chuck is correct.  Good luck, Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

cadman56

1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)