News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ID help Late 70s to mid 80s Deville Turbine Vane wheel covers

Started by 936CD69, December 31, 2016, 08:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

936CD69

Hello all, I have a friend who would like to upgrade the base wheel cover on his 1980 Sedan deVille to the Turbine vane cover, I have done quite a bit of research, including the Database, but am unable to find a definitive answer on authenticity. I have found some with black vanes, others appear unpainted. Looks like the unpainted may be 82-84? or were they earlier? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I never realized there were two different versions of the optional turbine vaned wheel cover for DeVille.  I had long assumed all had the vaned area painted black and that the paint simply flecked off (and sprayed over with silver) on those that did not show this. 

However, I checked the brochure and it appears silver is correct in 1983.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

936CD69

Eric, can you confirm black vanes are correct for 80-81?  I found a fairly nice set, just want the correct ones, and these are black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

I'd put my money on black in 1980 but I cannot affirmatively confirm.

The 1980 Prestige Catalog may contain the answer. If the CLC MRC has a copy, perhaps someone there could research this.  Otherwise check the MPL a different part number for the 1980 DeVille turbine vaned wheelcover is shown...?

I'm fairly knowledgeable about covers of this era and this one has me stumped. I'd be very interested in knowing the final answer!

936CD69

Unfortunately my MPL only covers 84-92 D cars. Any idea what the option code is? Anyone with an MPL that covers 83 back, could you please check it out? Thanks as always!
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have the #s and such, and will try to help, but at present, we have a sick cat that has disappeared under the unfinished part of our basement where they go to "explore." My grandson is coming over to help crawl under the house and that will prevent me from getting right on it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

936CD69

I appreciate your help Barry. Hope the kittie is OK (I have 3)
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

D.Smith

I dug thru my archives and the only ones I saw with dark color in the fins was on a 77 Deville.
My 1979 Data book specifically mentions the fins are black on the turbines.

The 80-84s all had silver color in the fins.   

although one photo of a cover off a car appears to have a dark grey color between the fins.

936CD69

Thanks David, I am coming to the same conclusion. We'll see what Barry's part numbers tell us.

Craig
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

D.Smith

Another 77 with the black finned turbines.    Definitely looking like the black ones were 77-79, then they went to silver in 1980.   Which makes sense as they probably wanted them to look different than the color-keyed turbines used on the 80-85 Fleetwood Broughams with d'Elegance option.

936CD69

I believe he will probably use the black finned ones on his black slicktop 80 SdV. If he ever has it judged, he can always put the base covers on for authenticity. Still looking forward to the part numbers, it may help someone else in the future. Thanks again, everyone.
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

I concur with Dave -  I'm convinced the optional turbine wheel covers gray/argent/silver vaned area  resumed in the 1980 model year. I say "resumed" because the same cover was also optional from 1974 - 1976 on DeVille. (1976 version featured black hub section rather than brushed stainless steel)

DeVille cover (w/crest only) with black vaned area appears to be exclusive to 1977 - 1979 only.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I finally got to delve into my parts illustration book and find confirmed that the black centers are 1976.

For those who are interested, our young lady cat is in surgery at this time with a bowel blockage. $3-$4K. Thank goodness for a grandson who works for Google and gave his grandma a delayed Christmas present.

Part # is 3516622
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

936CD69

Hi Barry, could you provide the PN for the 77-79 and the 80-84? Thanks again
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

936CD69

Well I keep forgetting about GM Parts Wiki. Found a 76-81 MPL there. Part number for the 77-79 deVille and commercial chassis is 3516343. Original part number for the 80-84 is 1618876, which is superceded to 1620547. I have attached pics and the parts manual page.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Craig
CLCMRC Benefactor #302