News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Water Pump Removal

Started by Dualskegs62, December 31, 2016, 03:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualskegs62

Hi, it's leaking and squealing and has to be replaced. Car has 108,000 miles and I believe it's the original pump. Any advice, warnings, antidotes, suggestions, or tips on the removal and/or installation of the new pump? The new pump I acquired weighs almost as much as my 16 year old daughter. Ugh.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Chris Bischoff - Member 30257

TJ Hopland

Is that an aluminum timing cover?   If so are there any special concerns with bolts getting stuck?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Aluminum front cover came in 1963 with the "new" 390.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dan LeBlanc

If it's a non-ac car at least you don't have the shroud to deal with. It's a fairly easy job on these cars. I leave the fan attached and place cardboard between the fan and radiator as to not accidentally damage the radiator and lift the whole thing out as a complete assembly.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

Ditto on Art's advice with making a cardboard jig to push the bolts through as you take them out to get them all back in to the correct holes.

If the 62 is pretty much like the 60 it's a straightforward job.
If you are pulling the radiator it might be a good time to take it to a shop that boils them out.

If you are painting it the Bill Hirsch Cadillac Blue is good stuff.

Good luck.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

P. Manoogian

If you do not mind having the car down for a few days you might want to have the original pump rebuilt by Arthur Gould in N.Y. It is much cheaper than the Chinese repros and you will not have to work about fit and quality. The cost is now 140.00 and the actual shipping back and forth. They provide you with new gaskets and they machine inner surfaces properly so you will not have leaks after.

As far as paint I now use Mercedes blue tinted with black. I use single stage urethane, spray it over a high heat primer. Any paint store will have chips for you to see or I can provide the code.
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

David King (kz78hy)

Dan Bailey is very good at rebuilding any water pump.  Great work, delivery, and pricing.

4706 Detroit St.
Dearborn Heights MI 48125
USA

(313) 530-2893

Another tip I have used to install the pump, (along with the card board holding the bolts in order) is to install studs into the holes in the engine after the old gasket have been removed.  Once the area is clean, apply the gasket sealer, install the studs (just a few threads), Slide the gaskets over the studs, apply sealer to the pump.  Now install the pump over the studs.  Remove one stud at a time replacing with the bolt from the card board holder.  Lightly tighten until all bolts are installed and then torque to spec.

I bought threaded rod at the hardware store and cut them to length and now just keep them in the tool box.  It sure makes keeping the gaskets in place a whole lot easier and getting the hoses reconnected.

The photos are from my '60 Eldorado Brougham

David

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197