News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Garage smells

Started by Lois Harriman, December 31, 2016, 05:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lois Harriman

Hi all!
We have a 63 CDV and at times when filling with gas it over flows.  We live in a state where we do not pump our own gas.  So anyway.......my husband knew it had to be driven a bit so the gas would go down.   We thought we were OK but where we rent a garage the old lady on the second floor assails my husband whenever he is around the car for the gas smell.  So today we have the car in our own garage and he is wiping down all he can see underneath to remove the smell.  My question is.......How does one keep old car smells at bay in your garage.  Any thoughts besides me pushing the old lady out the window??
Lois Harriman Director/North Jersey Region

Bobby B

Lois,
Hi. Old cars do have a distinctive smell (Inside and Outside when parked) for sure along with a lot of History. The smell of gas shouldn't be THAT strong. Are any of the hoses leaking? Vents blocked? Vented/ Non-vented gas cap? You can always tell that there's an old car lurking in the back of a garage!  ;D.  Maybe some form of ventilation that will allow a small fresh air exchange the room. If the garage isn't that "Tight," there should be some air flowing around the room. I hate to suggest masking the smell with air re-fresheners of some sort, but you might have to do that. The ones that absorb the smell, not add fragrance might be best. They are usually in bags that you hang, and mostly used when a basement floods to take away the smell of mildew. After Sandy, there were a lot of those sold.. But first make sure that nothing is wrong with your fuel system. The last thing you need is some sort of a issue that comes back to you. I'm in NJ....Good Luck!
                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

There should be no smell of gas. The gas fumes are what cause fires and explosions, especially in an enclosed building.

So if the lady is complaining on the second floor something is leaking. Rubber hoses fail if they are the original and one introduces ethanol in the gas, which today is in all gas.

So not to be an alarmist you need to find the source of the gas leak. Check for a rubber hose weeping (wet around the connection). The gas tank should be checked to see if there are leaks in the fittings.

Just my opinion.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Steve Passmore

Oh for the smell of old cars ::)  She should bottle it up and sell it LOL. I have to go out into my storage area at least once a day just to take in the aroma of the cars. I love it but can understand if its fuel smell leaking upstairs to someone who doesn't feel the same. Not nice.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Steve Passmore on December 31, 2016, 06:41:57 PM
Oh for the smell of old cars ::)  She should bottle it up and sell it LOL. I have to go out into my storage area at least once a day just to take in the aroma of the cars. I love it but can understand if its fuel smell leaking upstairs to someone who doesn't feel the same. Not nice.
Boy, I sat in a new car yesterday, that is a really brand new car that a friend purchased, and it really stunk of plastic and some other sort of vinyl.

Had to go and sit in my '72 Eldorado and inhale the lovely smell of leather, which it still has, even though it is a convertible.

Sounds like the garage needs some sort of ventilation.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 31, 2016, 07:11:44 PM
Boy, I sat in a new car yesterday, that is a really brand new car that a friend purchased, and it really stunk of plastic and some other sort of vinyl.

From what I read, that new car plastic "outguessing" smell is really not good to breathe and lasts a few years before the plastic isn't harmful to your health anymore. Give me an old car smell anyday! We also know that lovely tailpipe smell of an old carbureted vehicle whilst running. AHHH....... >:D
         Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Steve Passmore

Those old car smells do more for me than boose on this day.  Its already 2017 here and the new year is racing across the pond. Happy new year to all my fellow forum buddies in the US.  Your already well into it I think Bruce.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

76eldo

I agree with John Washburn.

I have several cars in my garage and there is no gas smell.

You may have one of the problems mentioned here.

I'd get the car on a lift and look for a trail.  Gas being a strong solvent will leave a trail if there is a leak coming from the hoses between the tank and the chassis.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

gary griffin

Could it be that the filling is right up to the top, and cold gas expanding in warm garage?? I have seen gas cans bulging due to a minor temperature increase.   My nearest station is far enough away that I have never had a problem. Possibly have attendant put in less than 100% full to allow for thermal expansion??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Scot Minesinger

There should not be a smell of gas, especially one that permeates thru the garage.  After I run my 1970 Cadillac there is a smell of heat/hot oil, that goes away when car cools down, but no gas smell.  You cannot smell it except in garage.

If it only happens when the car is filled with gas, as a temporary fix, then just specify to the attendant that it should be filled with 10 gallons, or whatever you judge to make it just above 3/4 full.  You should get this fixed.  Likely compromised fuel storage or delivery system is the problem.  Rubber fuel lines are the start point.  The steel fuel lines can also rust thru.  The gas tank could have a leak.

The current construction code (been around for 15 years or so) for garages is that they should be ventilated if it is a commercial building (condo, office, and etc.), but not a detached home.  Plus the trigger to activate the ventilation system is heat (summer), or carbon monoxide/nitrous oxide - it does not operate continuously as that would be an energy waste.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

David Greenburg

Agreed; a bit of "garage breath" after shut down is pretty normal for any pre-emissions car, but a continuing smell of gas means there's a problem.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

dadscad

Check the gas tank vent on the upper left (drivers) side of the fuel tank. There is a rubber connector hose that could be rotten or have a hole in it. Be sure the metal "U" shaped vent tube is there and clipped under the holder on the body. If the rubber or vent pipe is missing or damaged, you will have more spills and fumes while sitting, filling or stopping, when the tank is full. Also, the fuel level sender and pick up goes into the top of the tank. If you have the tank full and the gasket on the sending unit is damaged or leaking, you will have fuel leaking out of the top of the tank.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

I agree with the rest.   Any time I have smelled gas in the garage eventually I found some sort of leak somewhere.   Sounds like some have offered some specific places to look for that model.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

If one really wants a "Garage Smell" that hangs around for days, even in a well ventilated garage, is to pull a Diff to pieces, and don't wash the parts immediately.   Boy, that old LSD oil really stinks.   I have a 9" 31 Spline LSD in pieces on my bench now.   No matter how many times one washes their hands, the smell stays for days.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

The fuel system should get regular maintenance, just like brakes.  I
would get that tank off and checked inside & out.  Replace the tank
pickup unit gasket, all related hoses, and any corroded lines. 

Bruce Roe

Bobby B

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 31, 2016, 10:20:17 PM
If one really wants a "Garage Smell" that hangs around for days, even in a well ventilated garage, is to pull a Diff to pieces, and don't wash the parts immediately.   Boy, that old LSD oil really stinks.   I have a 9" 31 Spline LSD in pieces on my bench now.   No matter how many times one washes their hands, the smell stays for days.

Bruce,
Ha!  That smell lingers for days on end no matter what you clean it with. You can always tell when someone's working with gear oil before you even enter their shop/garage. I usually discard my clothes after diff work.  ::)
                                                                                                             Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

russ austin

Dadscad mentioned the vent. Those always rot and crack, venting fumes. Next to change is the rubber lines to the sending unit. Easily done with the cars rear end jacked up abit.   

Replace the return rubber hose (if equipped) at the fuel filter.  Check the fuel hard lines along the frame rail for wetness.  Check the fuel pump for leaks, and change the rubber line going to it.

Check the filler tube and drain for leaks while your under there.  If the fumes persist, then the sending unit seal is bad. 
R.Austin

59-in-pieces

Lois & GUYS,
This could be one of those - "can't see the forest for the trees".
May I humbly suggest that the solution may be to take the "old lady" for a ride in your Caddy, and maybe hint that there could be more in the future.
Yes, get her invested in the car - the smell - the history, and your love of the hobby, and she may just twig to it.
It's hard to criticize what you come to like and understand.

Or, could it simply be - that she owns a dog.

Happy New Year - have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

russ austin

Lois, please elaborate on the old car smells. Is it gas, dead animals, pack rat nests, skunk, mold?
R.Austin

76eldo

The original post said "gas smell".

If you start the car and let it idle and warm up she may be talking about the exhaust smell which can be pretty obnoxious if the car is idling on the choke.  I know sometimes when I am running one of my cars to warm it up it stinks pretty badly and my clothes smell like that exhaust smell at times.

If you are smelling raw gas in your storage space that really needs to be checked out as mentioned above.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)