News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Tires

Started by A Gurski, January 03, 2017, 02:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Gurski

Hello,

I need to get a spare tire for the Eldorado.  Currently have the "spacesaver" but no inflation canisters.   So I want the security of just a plain old spare.  While I'm getting a spare I am considering replacing the current tires.  They are in fine shape but I guessing 20 plus years old, at least. 

So I've searched the forum and found a good string from about a year ago( http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=139221.msg323085#msg323085 ). 

I am hoping to bring back the conversation and hoping for some clarification.

The best I can figure is that the original tires are "LR78-15-B Steel-belted radial tires, white sidewall".

Yet you sages seem to be using a different vernacular like "235/70R15 white wall".  Is this a new designation for the same proper tires size?  I know this description does not indicate the proper 1.6" whitewall width I should be looking for. 

I have tried to research Coker's website but i find it less then user friendly.

I did get in touch with the nice people at Diamondback and I like the concept of a new tire made to look original.  It sounds like they add good value.  But needing five tires @ $259 each plus shipping, that's a $1500 bill.

Is there any other options I have missed if i am seeking the correct size AND Whitewall width? 

Or is there a better compromise?

Thank you in advance.   
Alan

76eldo

The tire industry went to the all numerical size numbering many years ago.

L-78-15 does equate to 235/75/R15.  You can get American Classics from Coker wiuth the proper size 1.6 inch whitewall for $165.00 per tire.

To me, anything larger or smaller than the 1.6 looks wrong on a 76 Eldorado.

I have some aged Firestone 721's on my 76 Eldo that I will be needing to replace.  Lots of tread but I know they are old and should be replaced for that reason.

You will get lots of opinions on tires and some guys go for the skinny 1 inch or 3/4 inch whitewalls because they find them for 99 bucks somewhere but if you amortize the higher cost over the 10 years of so that the tires will last the difference in money seems pretty silly.  To me...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Greg Powers

If you are just looking for a good radial tire with about an inch wide white sidewall there are several options in the P235/75R15 size. Due to the lack of whitewalls on anything coming out of Detroit in the last decade the P225/75R15 or the P235/75R15 are the only options in a moderately priced tire. Vogue makes an expensive whitewall in a couple sizes, Diamond Back will make a whitewall tire but most of those tires are actually SUV M&S tires due to the size, and of course Coker makes all the correct sizes and whitewall widths for a price. The biggest decision is whether you want a radial at a price point or a factory correct tire and whitewall width at a much higher price.   
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

A Gurski

Gentlemen,

This seems to be a good recommendation and compromise:

https://www.cokertire.com/checkout/cart/

Thank you very much for all the help. 

Alan

A Gurski

Before pulling the trigger I figured I would do a last inspection of my existing
Vogue Custom Built Radial VII tyres.  That's what they call them.

They look pretty good with no checking or cracking and lots of good tread.  The whitewall is a little checked but could probably be restored and cleaned up with some product. 

Vogue inexplicably places their DOT date code on the inside of the tire so I scwermed around and under and determined the tires were made mid 2000 which seems like yesterday but that is 17 years old.

Do I need new tires?  Or am I talking myself into a largish bill?  To replace them would be about $170 each, pretty much the same as Coker?  Though I do like the Coker look and WHitewall better.

What say you old tyre experts?
Alan

76eldo

Any tire over ten years old can fail suddenly.  Tires are the only thing keeping that monster on the road.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

A Gurski

"...and thank you for your support"
                                                    Frank Bartles
Alan

bill06447

Here is an original tire from 76. The purchaser had the tires mounted to these wheels at time of purchase. Use for reference if you wish...

TJ Hopland

I have had better luck with pre 2000 ish  tires holding together.   I'm not saying they were safe but for me they didn't seem to just suddenly fail.   Can't say the same about post 2000 tires.   Have had 3 catastrophic failures of 'outdated' tires over the last 10 years.   

If you are just going to 'Sunday' drive city streets then maybe you can get away with it,  a catastrophic failure at 30 mph on a sunny day isn't going to ruin someones day, at 65 its another story.   If you are going to drive the car its just a necessary expense.   It cost more if you want it to look correct.   As they say you got to pay to play.    Hankook Optimo is still available everywhere in the $75 range as well as store brands likely made by Cooper especially if you go to a more rural tire dealer.   You don't get the 'correct' width but its half the price which for many works well considering you will be in the same boat in another 7 years.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

This is what can happen to an old tyre, even though it looked almost new when I purchased the car in 2007.   After driving the car for 4,600 miles in USA, this one went in 2013 well after I got her home in 2008.

Luckily I was going not much more than 50 MPH, and as it was on the back, I didn't feel it till it touched the inner fender, and had sufficient time to stop before it fully destroyed itself, and did minimal damage to the car.

I had three of the tyres that were on the car when I purchased it go bad.   One in Connecticut, after the Cherry Hill GN, and two here in Tasmania.   They all had problems with their steel belts.

The 5th picture was the third tyre.   And this one went 3 months after the second one.   The 4th tyre I decided to destroy it before anything else happened.

The 6th picture shows the steel belts gone in the first tyre, in 2008 in Connecticut.   It was on the Front, and I could feel it destroying itself and by the time we got home, 200 yards away, it was really feeling bad.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

I had two older radial tires on my latest project just for shop roll-arounds, both of them came apart within a few months of each other just sitting there.

I wouldn't trust a 17 year old radial tire on the open road (or a 10 year old one for that matter) on one of my beauties for love nor money.

BTW, if you want to use a space saver spare tire, you don't need an inflation canister, just buy an inexpensive portable compressor that plugs into your cigarette lighter.  I carry one in Big Red when on trips to touch up B.R.'s air shocks when needed.  As Bruce might say, "works a treat!"   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have a small 12 Volt Compressor that I use for inflating the Space-saver that I carry in my Continental Kit.   It sits nicely inside the waterproof ex military ammunition box that I positioned within the Continental Kit.

The trouble with the Eldorado Convertible is that the full-size spare really limits the carrying capacity of the trunk.    Plus, carrying the Hard Boots also takes up a lot of room.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

76eldo

For a big car the trunk space is really small.
I usually keep the boots in the back seat footwells in the individual vinyl bags I sell on eBay leaving more room in the trunk.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 76eldo on January 04, 2017, 06:25:25 AM
For a big car the trunk space is really small.
I usually keep the boots in the back seat footwells........Brian
But not really helpful when carrying passengers and their luggage as well.

I wish Cadillac had thought these Hard Boots through a lot better, and created proper storeage positions for them.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

A Gurski

"BTW, if you want to use a space saver spare tire, you don't need an inflation canister, just buy an inexpensive portable compressor that plugs into your cigarette lighter. "

Now that is a fine idea all around.  So next question:

Is an old space saver tire dependable enough as a spare?  Or should i be considering a new one as well?

Ill check the date of manufacture when i get home tonight.
Alan

35-709

I'm going to use one in my current project, they are not of radial construction, AFAIK, and therefore are not subject to the internal stresses that radials are which, along with the rubber compounds used these days, give modern radials a definite and relatively short lifespan.  My space saver is from the '70s and appears to be in as new and excellent condition with no cracking or separation of any kind.  As a spare, for very limited and speed restricted use, if the occasion arises, I am going to go with it.  They can be run flat by the way. 

TMoore - NTCLC

Please take this with a grain of salt, but let me share -

All of my 1979's have the space saver spares, but I have wire wheels and when I found a matching wheel, I decided to carry it as a spare.  After I removed the space saver from the trunk, I decided to air it up.  It had obviously never been on the road before.  When I aired it up, it did not properly inflate, and was severely misaligned on the rim - plus there were numerous cracks where the rubber had been folded up on itself.  There would be no way that I could have put the inflated tire on the car, and if by some miracle I could have mounted it, there is no way it could have supported the weight.  I have since placed a full size spare in all of my cars - even though the Seville's have pretty small trunks, I would never have counted on a 35 year old, folded rubber tire to get me to safety.

That is just my experience.  I suppose others have tested their space-saver tires and feel comfortable with them, but I would encourage any one who is relying on them to inflate them and make sure they are in good shape before they are needed.

A Gurski

Fellas,

This keeps getting better.

So my space saver looks like brand new sitting in the trunk.  The old DOT three digit date convention is 056.  So that means it was manufactured in the fifth week of the sixth year of the "DECADE". Which decade I can only guess as the the seveth of the second century.  In other words it looks like my space saver spare tire was manufactured in 1976, just like the rest of the car.

When I go get my four new road tires installed I'll ask the tire guys to test the space saver and give advice.  I'll either stick with it (and buy a mini compressor) or have one of my 2000 vogues thrown on as a full size spare.

I think.
Alan

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I received my three Space-savers, I inflated each one, and inspected them very carefully.   Two were brand new, and one had been used, but was still good.

The "cracks" I observed were not cracks, but actual folds in the rubber, and as they are made from a special rubber that is designed to be "compressed" when not in use, I could not fault them.

Further, the instructions say to bolt the tyre to the vehicle before inflating, but when observing the actual inflation process, I an glad I didn't because the first "unfolding" is to inflate the inner part of the tyre, thereby pressing the wall of the tyre against any object that could get in its' way.

Lastly, when I got my Aluminium wheels, I transferred the tyre from the original steel rim to the new one, and even though it was a difficult task, it got done.   After the first inflation, it was a bit out of alignment, but that was soon rectified by a bit of deft re-seating of the bead.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

35-709

I had my space saver removed from its rim so I could have the rim sand blasted and painted, upon remounting the tire it was inflated to its normal pressure and aside from the folds Bruce mentioned, the tire was like new.  My tire returned to its original form on the rim when deflated, something I was in doubt about at the outset.  It's going to look neat in the trunk of our Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod.