News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Issue Re Bolting Engine & Transmission Together

Started by TrevorK, January 03, 2017, 11:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevorK

Hi all,

I'm not entirely sure what my issue is, but will try to explain the problem as best I can.  On my '60 CDV the engine was seized. In order to separate the transmission and engine, I needed to pry a bit between the two to access the flywheel nuts.  When I reinstalled the rebuilt engine, I noticed it was VERY hard to turn when rotating to bolt the transmission up.  I thought this was because I had bent the flexplate separating the transmission.  On further investigation, it appears there should be four spacers between the flywheel and the flexplate (see photo below). I don't have these spacers and I don't believe there were any there when I separated the transmission from the engine.

The shop manual also refers to a spacer that fits in the end of the crank.  I also don't have this spacer.  Any ideas about what this spacer is for and if my problem could be related to it missing?

Any suggestions on what I need to do?  My flexplate is not 100% straight, but I'm wondering now if my problem is not so much the flexplate, as it is the missing spacers.  Thoughts?

Trevor

Trevor Korsrud

1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1963 Cadillac Convertible

Bobby B

Trevor,
Hi. I know nothing about your car, but if that's a Flat surface that the plate is sitting on, you have some daylight showing on the backside and none on the front. Is that just an optical illusion because of the angle? Seems like it should conform anyway, once bolted down. You need someone in the know on your vehicle.
                                                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

The Tassie Devil(le)

Many engine/transmissions have been assembled without that spacer, and performed satisfactorily.   What happens is that the engines are disassembled, and the spacer falls out, and in a lot of cases, are lost, or not put back, as the person doing the disassembling might not know what it is for, and where it goes.

The spacer is there to position the Fluid Drive in its correct location, so that the flex plate is under tension, and this holds the Starter Ring Gray where it should be for the Starter Bendix to properly mesh.

As for why your engine is not turning, does it turn without the transmission attached?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TrevorK

The flexplate in the photo isn't mine. I posted it to show the 4 spacers that I'm missing. The engine rotates fine when not bolted to the transmission, but when everything was bolted together it was so hard to turn the engine that I needed to use a pry bar on the flywheel to move it to gain access to the 4 bolts on the flywheel.  By the way, the torque converter seemed like it was fine and not the cause of the binding.
Trevor Korsrud

cadman56

You didn't by change install the flex plate reversed?  Stranger things have happened.  Good luck.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Roger Zimmermann

Your transmission has a fluid coupling, not a converter...This why this type of transmission had 4 forward "speeds".
When the transmission is not attached to the engine, can you turn the coupling cover easily?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TrevorK

Thanks for the info/clarifications (still learning about these cars!).  Both the engine and the coupling cover turn fine when I disconnected them.  The difficulty turning the engine is definitively more than just high compression from a new engine (plugs were out and could barely move it prying on the teeth of the flywheel).  Flexplate was in the right way (you made me go and look though, and it won't go in the wrong way).

Trevor Korsrud

dadscad

When you pried the transmission and motor apart to access the nuts on the fluid coupling and flex plate, something had to move to allow for the space. That something was either in the motor, transmission or the flex plate itself. You say that the flex plate is OK, that would eliminate that. The motor crankshaft should not move that far. That leaves something inside the transmission. Did you rebuild the transmission or check the position of the fluid coupling or the coupling end play? There are snap rings that hold internal parts in position on the input shaft. With enough pressure one could have been popped out of the groove it is supposed to be seated in (or bent over). Something such as that could allow parts to bind when bolted back to the motor. Maybe Roger or someone who has been inside the transmission will chime in with their thoughts on this.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

TrevorK

On closer inspection, I do think it was the flexplate that bent.  The center of it where it bolts to the crank looks to be what moved when I had to pry the engine and transmission apart (the edges of it are fairly straight).  I think what I need to do is try a new flexplate and see if that fixes my problem. 

Trevor
Trevor Korsrud

savemy67

Hello Trevor,

You might also try bolting the engine and transmission together without the flexplate, and attempt to rotate the engine and transmission separately.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

TrevorK

Just an update on this -  I ended up replacing my flex plate and that solved the binding problem. My old plate was bent in the centre from me prying the engine and transmission apart to access the nuts.

Also a special thanks to forum member Jim Bozin who was kind enough to send me a flex plate for just the cost of the postage. The support from the members of this forum and fellow enthusiasts is fantastic.

Trevor
Trevor Korsrud