News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Search tool using VIN number on 75 Eldo ?

Started by 13912, January 05, 2017, 12:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking at buying a 1975 Cadillac Eldorado and want to see if I can find any history of accidents using the VIN number. Any suggestions on finding information on a 40 plus year old car?
Thanks
Bob

Scot Minesinger

Carfax and other data services were not in existence until recently (last 15 years or so), and records are unlikely to go back that far.  However, I would still use this type of service as it may certainly discover a more recent accident or insurance claim.  The records just may not identify an accident that is 30 years old. 

The best way to evaluate a 1975 Eldorado is to go look at it and drive it.  Understand that it is often inconvenient and expensive, however the aggravation before will avoid much grief after if you buy it.  You can look on the internet to see all the indicators of an accident, but many will not apply now.  For example shimmed fenders was normal in 1975, indicative of an accident on a modern car today.  If it behaves accident free, the doors and panels will all be aligned reasonably well.  The car will also drive nice.  Badly aligned panels and poor driving traits could be do to non-accident issues too.  Get the car up on a lift and carefully go thru it. 

The main value driver of these cars is condition, followed by a working top if applicable, and sound mechanical driving ability.  Keep in mind body on frame cars steel 1970 era cars constructed with low levels of plastic repair fairly well compared to the their uni-body high plastic content cars of today.

Good luck, now is a great time to buy.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

To my knowledge, Carfax and other "vehicle history" services are only able to search VIN# containing 17 digits - which began in the 1981 model year. 1975 VIN contains only 13 digits therefore cannot be tracked using one of these services.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

No substitute for a good inspection.
I've seen cars in minor accidents that were listed on car fax that killed a sale but other cars that were wrecked and fixed and never showed up because they were not fixed through insurance.

A 75 Eldo could have hidden rot that was poorly fixed or a bad floor and that wouldn't show up on a car fax.

Car fax is really good for late model used stuff but not helpful for our old stuff.

Good luck.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

QuoteI've seen cars in minor accidents that were listed on car fax that killed a sale but other cars that were wrecked and fixed and never showed up because they were not fixed through insurance.

Brian,

This is an important fact that many folks are not aware of. A clean CarFax means that there is no insurance record of repairs

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

I wouldn't even go that far - not all "events" are picked up by these outfits - insurance or otherwise. 

As far as I'm concerned, these so-called "vehicle history reports" are not worth the paper they're written on.

Scot Minesinger

What I use Carfax for is location.  It generally lets you know if you are buying a car that was driven in New York or North Carolina. I won't buy a car on the East coast that operated North of the mason Dixon line.  No though living in VA if there is a chill in the air like today they salt the roads so bad, the Pacific Ocean calls requesting their salt back.  So I won't buy anything that was driven in area that snows, such as VA, Western NC, TN and etc.

Back to the 1975 Eldorado, in person inspection with a knowledgeable person if you are unfamiliar is best way.  You need to see the car for yourself, or you will probably be writing on this forum to complain.  What some see as a nice interior, others see as a mess.

Location like anything else can be misleading. There are truly magnificent originals that spent their entire lives in the rust belt and there are rodents that lived in the south.

There is nothing a bunch of data keepers can do that the senses cannot - and 100,000 times better.

A supposed "clean bill" is from any of these outfits is equally worthless: No shortage of obviously wrecked & shoddy repaired vehicles that got the "all-clear" from CarFax and the like.

I could go on all day about what a joke these [dis]services are.

I once got a call from CarFax offering me a free 30 trial. You can imagine what I told them.

76eldo

Scott,

You have seen my 70 convertible.  It was sold at a Main Line Phila area Cadillac dealer as a new car, and was in PA, NJ, and NY all it's life.  Garage kept and never in snow or so they say...

I have also unearthed several 70's Eldo's and a 76 Seville that still smelled new.

So I don't rule anything out.  You have to look, touch, smell, drive, and look some more.

If you are selling a car that has a car fax and it's a low mileage one and the car fax supports the mileage showing that the car was maintained and inspected at certain mileage intervals the car fax report can be a good selling tool.

However, I know a guy that leases cars and puts on a LOT of miles.  Every year before his annual state inspection where the mileage gets recorded he has a guy that shows up at his house with a brief case full of gadgets and he shaves a lot of mileage off of the computer.  That will never show up on a car fax, and when he turns in his cars he is just under the mileage.  If he gets this done I am sure there are thousands of other people across the country doing the same thing.

Used cars have and always be a "buyer beware" deal.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 76eldo on January 05, 2017, 07:08:46 PM
However, I know a guy that leases cars and puts on a LOT of miles.  Every year before his annual state inspection where the mileage gets recorded he has a guy that shows up at his house with a brief case full of gadgets and he shaves a lot of mileage off of the computer.  That will never show up on a car fax, and when he turns in his cars he is just under the mileage.  If he gets this done I am sure there are thousands of other people across the country doing the same thing.

Various things beyond annual inspections can potentially be reported to CarFax and elsewhere.  How does he assure the correct higher mileage won't be reported during the rest of the year for things like warranty work, repairs, maintenance, etc?

76eldo

I can't answer that.  I would think that if a warranty repair was needed he would have a much higher mileage recorded and would have to pay the piper.  Personally I think it's reprehensible to be an odometer thief.  I bought my DTS because it only had 40K miles on it.  If I found out it really had 90K on it I would be extremely upset.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Big Apple Caddy

Many thanks to all for your excellent inputs. I did have the car inspected by Road Ready Inspection who did give me a very detailed 158 point unbiased summary of their inspection plus numerous pictures which caused me to pass on the car, but I thought another data point such as previous  history from the VIN number would be helpful. The person selling the Eldo only knew the fellow he bought it from 3 years ago so there are of ownership 39 years unaccounted for.
Again many thanks
Bob

76eldo

Bob

It was a good idea to get the car inspected.
Ownership history is nice to have but not always possible but if the third party evaluation and photos revealed some things wrong with the car or things that you didn't like, the inspection cost may have saved you a lot of time, money, and aggravation.

There are lots of these cars around and I'm sure the right one will come up.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

Brian,

Yes I would never buy a car without examining it closely.  My general guidelines are that I buy modern cars from dealers and classic cars from individuals.  Most of the time for a classic car the ownership location has no bearing on if it has rust or not.  However in general a used car (or in my case a truck) that is 4 years old with 50k miles on it, the state of origin and ownership is significant.  I probably would never consider looking at a Cleveland, OH area truck 5 year old 4FWD truck, as it is likely rusted.  If I was buying a low mileage modern MB SL600, then the state of origin would not have much influence on me looking at it, because it was probably pampered.  No matter what I'm looking at the car.  Cars are so complicated today, probably my next modern car will include a very comprehensive factory (not an insurance policy) extended warranty anyway. 

Back to the 1975 Eldorado a personal inspection and drive is the only way.

toukow

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on January 05, 2017, 09:53:46 AM
To my knowledge, Carfax and other "vehicle history" services are only able to search VIN# containing 17 digits - which began in the 1981 model year. 1975 VIN contains only 13 digits therefore cannot be tracked using one of these services.

I made the mistake of naively signing up to get a check for a 76 Eldo only to find out what you have stated, and had to get a refund.