News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76 Eldo questions relating to Security System

Started by 76eldo, January 07, 2017, 10:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I'm reviving a 76 Eldo that has been parked for about 8 years.
Keys were lost.
Joe Caristo and I replaced the ignition switch. We did not replace the door cylinders yet.

The drivers door lock disarms the security system when you unlock the door with a key.  We have no door key so we can't disarm it.

We put a battery in it and at first it cranked for about 10 seconds but then the horn came on and it would no longer crank.

Do we have a bad starter and the insulator in the steering column was all cracked so that can be blowing the horn, or does this have anything to do with the alarm?

Does the alarm interrupt cranking of the engine and it seems like the horn should beep on and off, not constant.

I'm thinking we have a problem in the column and a bad solenoid or starter.

Fuses in the upper dash for the security system have been removed.

What's the deal here?

Thanks
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Brian,
It IS possible you have a manual reset starter lock out relay in the circuit.  Before you condemn anything, check for voltage at the "S" terminal on the solenoid when you turn the key to start with the gear selector in neutral or park.  The FSM has a good section on this system a good trouble shooting matrix, and even tells you how to repair the solid state controller; "factory exchange only".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

Joe removed the fuses behind the upper dash and we thought that this would eliminate the security system from the mix.

The car is still in the former owner's garage and we need to remove it asap.  The ignition lock replacement now makes it possible to pull it out of Park and turn the wheels to get it on a trailer.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

Looking at the 76 shop manual, I don't see a starter lockout relay.  It
appears the Security System electronic control box plugs into a lot
of stuff, monitoring activity and operating the horn & lights.  Perhaps
it could just be unplugged and run without it for a while.  Unplug horns? 

In any case I'd expect the starter to work.  If the engine was cranked
enough to build up oil pressure & turn off the oil light, I'd throw a
little gas into the intake and see if it starts.  If its fuel injected, there
could some more issues; these things can fail just sitting here. 
good luck, Bruce Roe

76eldo

Hi Bruce,

It's not injected.
I think we have a bad solenoid or starter and also the little plastic collar that always breaks when you take the column apart was in pieces. It must insulate something and may be the reason the horn is blowing. We did unplug the horns because they are so darn loud.

We will be pushing the car out of the garage and winch it up on the trailer. Once we get it back to the garage we will run the normal tests.

Thanks.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

The little plastic collar is for horn only.  If you fix that there is a better chance horn will operate properly.  It does not have anything to do with starting the car.  This was used from 1970 thru 1982 on most GM tilt wheels, hence it remains widely available today.  If you have a GM car in this year range it is a good idea to have a replacement on hand if it is likely that it is original.

To find out if the starter is good run battery voltage to solenoid (bypassing NSS and ignition), for just a second to find out if it cranks. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

I'd like to buy a few of those plastic collars.

I realize that there are separate issues here.

I'm pretty sure that the starter or possibly the connection at the starter is bad. 

The car is sitting in a garage and the local temps are single digits right now.  Later this week it's going up into the 50's and I will go back with a few guys to push the car out of the garage and into the street.

Then it's up on the trailer and back to the shop.

The security system has no cranking lock out, and the horn should beep on-off-on-off, not a solid beep, so the horn problem is in the column.

I appreciate the info.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

Quote from: Scot Minesinger

To find out if the starter is good run battery voltage to solenoid (bypassing NSS and ignition), for just a second to find out if it cranks.   

You won't have to run it very far.  A screwdriver from the batt cable
on the solenoid, to the big fat pink wire term ought to do it.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

Brian,

e-mail me if you want the PN on that plastic "rose" piece in steering column, I have a spare or two with PN handy.  You can type it in on e-bay and numerous reasonable cost choices emerge. 

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dochawk

Quote from: 76eldo on January 07, 2017, 10:38:26 AM

The drivers door lock disarms the security system when you unlock the door with a key.  We have no door key so we can't disarm it.

I'm late to the party, but a locksmith can pop one out in a few minutes.

You may be able to do it yourself, too--you stick in a clean blank, wiggle, look where it's scratched, file those through with a triangular file, repeat.

Or, get new keys from GM . . .

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

STS05lg

Brian, the factory security system on a 76 blows the horn constantly if activated. The weakest link in the system is the little plunger switch that is located on the drivers side of the radiator suppose. The plunger shaft can become corroded or bent, by the heavy hood or careless mechanic. The system does not, in my experience have a starter interrupt. Hope this helps.
Best, Lynn