News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1975 Eldo pump works washer doesn't

Started by cwgray, January 10, 2017, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwgray

Have a 1975 Eldo coupe. The wiper pump on the wiper motor works but its not pulling fluid from the tank.There is a electrical line to the fluid tank. Any repair tips appreciated.
Thanks
cwg

Scot Minesinger

The electric wires into reservoir tells you if washer fluid is low via illuminating a light on dash - has nothing to do with function of pump.  Replace all the rubber lines and clean out the nozzles to start.  Usually the nozzles are clogged.  Use thin welding tip wire to force out dirt/grime (sold real inexpensive at auto parts stores).  Then if fluid does not squirt onto windshield will need to make sure pump is getting power, and if you are sure nozzles are clear, pump has power, might have to replace pump.  Check shop manual, fairly easy job to fix.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

I fought with those systems a long time starting with my 62.  You
would get everything working.  Days later you needed to clean off
some stuff, but just when you needed it, the pump had lost its
prime.  Reprime, same thing.  If everything in the system is like
new you might keep it working.  I replaced all pump parts. 

Finally I put in a tank with the pump motor mounted underneath
where it was impossible to lose its prime.  Connected it to the
same pair of wires; problem solved permanently.  good luck,
Bruce Roe

7gen

Could you describe this modification more fully? I've had to reprime a couple times last season and am on the verge of buying a new pump. I wouldn't mind if I knew the new pump would not be so liable to losing prime but I'd like to hear a bit more about your modification before I decide. Thanks!!

TJ Hopland

You could also try a a pump repair kit.   The kit comes with a new 'head' which has the valves in it as well as the head gasket.      They are often in stock in parts stores, I think part of the Dorman HELP line.    Its been a while since I bought one but I think they were like $5.   Its one of those parts that fit every GM car from like 73-90. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Quote from: 7gen on January 11, 2017, 07:39:54 AM
Could you describe this modification more fully? I've had to reprime a couple times last season and am on the verge of buying a new pump. I wouldn't mind if I knew the new pump would not be so liable to losing prime but I'd like to hear a bit more about your modification before I decide. Thanks!! 

There are stand alone washer systems you can buy, using a continuous
flow pump mounted at the bottom of the tank.  I connected one to my
hoses, connected the original 2 car pump wires to the motor; make sure
they aren't reversed or the pump runs backward.  It pumps whenever
the button it pushed, unrelated to wiper position. 

On one car I actually made a custom fit tank from fiberglass.   Bruce Roe

cadillacmike68

The other problem with these pumps - actually more related to the fluid - is that it will jelly up on you if you don't use it often. Then you get to thy and flush the entire system out. I'm only getting about 1/2 of the jets working now, time for a new pump.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

I put one of those electric pumps on my 78.  It worked fine but I found it really blew through the fluid.   Great if you want a lot of fluid like for deicing but I would empty the tank in a day.   If I had kept the car I would have tried to make a larger tank. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

7gen

I have the delay wipers and I'm trying to maintain the originality of the car as much as possible, without being obsessive about it. I'll try the rebuild kit first.

If nonuse can lead to jellied up fluid, I'm not understanding how a new pump fixes that. Wouldn't the fluid jell up in a new pump as quickly as an old pump? Or is the problem that much less with a new pump that it makes it worthwhile to swap out and be trouble-free for a time?

I don't know about other years but the washer fluid tank in almost EVERY car today is in a much better spot than the one on my 76. Of course, putting the tank up near the front of such a long hood would lead to its own problems, I guess.

76eldo

If you pull of the hose(s) going to the squirters and leave the hose to the tank in place, does it pump out any fluid?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

Quote from: 7genI have the delay wipers and I'm trying to maintain the originality of the car as much as possible, without being obsessive about it. I'll try the rebuild kit first.   

The use of an external washer pump has no effect on the operation
of the delayed wipers, or the switch.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

Quote from: bcroe on January 12, 2017, 10:49:25 AM
The use of an external washer pump has no effect on the operation
of the delayed wipers, or the switch.  Bruce Roe

Where the effect comes in from what I remember is with the external electric pump you have to be pushing the wash button to get he pump to run.  When you do you then get a steady stream.   Original system you pressed the button and a solenoid engaged a cam which started a process that gave you like 6 squirts or what ever one full turn of the cam was.  Once the cam was engaged you could let go of the button and the process would continue till it was completed.   Not really a problem but a difference.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV