News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Placing a value on 1976 El Dorado Bicentennial Edition

Started by Frantes, January 13, 2017, 01:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frantes

I have the subject car (#013962) with 53,000 miles.  Am thinking of selling and have two questions.  What is the best method to determine the car's value (sales price) and what is the best forum to use for selling it?

Thanks for any comments.

TJ Hopland

Value and best avenue to sell will depend on location.    We don't need a street address but the world is a big place so at least narrowing it down to a country and part of that country would help get you better info. 

Do you know this cars history?   With that low of miles when and how often it has been driven can make a difference.   A buyer that wants to show it will have different concerns than a buyer that wants a car to drive so you want to have details and answers for both types of buyers. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chuck Patton

Hello Frantes

With this era Cadillac I would recommend that you contract Cadillac & LaSalle Club Member Eric DeVirgilis.   He is honest, knowledgeable and capable of carrying out your wishes.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Frantes

Thanks for the posts.  Yes, I know the history of the car and can provide details and answers to either type of buyer.  I am the second owner after purchasing it from my uncle who was the first owner.  The car is in The Woodlands, TX just north of Houston.  As suggested by Chuck Patton I will contact Eric DeVirgillis.

Thanks again for your responses.

marty55cdv

Well one went over the Mecum block this week, I was watching online, I think this one has 1200 miles on it .  Didn't sell at  $55,000
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-280603/1976-cadillac-eldorado/   .  I imagine this would be the top of the pricing .   
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

TJ Hopland

Has there been any of these selling anywhere near that 55 number?    I know good examples have finally started really going up but I didn't think they were that high.

south280

Hi, As a new owner of a 76' Bicentennial Eldorado several things came to mind when buying this car.  Here they are...physical location of car, condition/mileage and provenance.   I looked at several across the country (visited/inspected/drove) then made my decision.  At the end of the day condition is the most critical followed by provenance.  Just my two cents  David
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Bicentennial Edition
1930 Model A Ford Station Wagon
1968 Mercedes 280 sl

chrisntam

What were the asking prices of the ones you looked at?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

south280

Asking prices were between 79k and 85k  keep in mind these cars are #1 condition with less than 1,000 miles
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Bicentennial Edition
1930 Model A Ford Station Wagon
1968 Mercedes 280 sl

TJ Hopland

Were there any of these practically never driven cars selling in that 80K range?   Those I would presume are original except battery?     30k miles I would assume would have some signs of wear so won't have original rubber parts and may have had body fillers replaced which I would assume would drop the value quite a bit. 

Scot Minesinger

Most everything will depend upon condition.  This version generally was regarded as valuable when new and so they tend to be in better condition. 

A regular 1976 Cadillac Eldorado in great condition may sell for half of a Bicentennial all things being equal.  At 60k miles the value of a Bicentennial could be less than a regular Eldorado convertible in perfect condition.

The cost of restoring any 1976 Cadillac from say a #4 or weak #3 to as new will generally exceed the value.   

You can spend 20k on just restoring mechanicals of a 60k miles 1976 Cadillac FWD with no imagination, let alone top, paint and interior.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Mileage is pretty much irrelevant to filler disintegration. They can be shot on a car with 0 miles.

Unless the car spent the majority of its life in a cool/cold climate, filler replacement is all but guaranteed, or will be in need of replacement if it hadn't been done.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on January 14, 2017, 12:25:25 PM

A regular 1976 Cadillac Eldorado in great condition may sell for half of a Bicentennial all things being equal.

A Bicentennial is worth double a non-Bi convertible?

Hmmm...I think that may be a bit optimistic Scot

I would assign a 10% premium for Bicentennial over non, (all other things equal) and depending on the color of the "non-Bi" it may not even be that. A pristine low mileage 3x black or 2x black w/red, highly equipped could well be worth more.  And either is a lot rarer too!  8)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

I'm curious to hear more details about what David was seeing for prices on these since it sounds like he has recently looked at a bunch of em.    I really have not been looking that close lately especially at 76's.  10 years ago 76's didn't really seem to have any special value over a 71-75, there were just so many out there but it sounds like things may be turning.  71-75's have gone up but into the 30's for nice ones, so 50's for a 76 is quite a jump.

I was just thinking a 30k mile car was driven where under 1000 would have primary been and likely intentionally stored.  A car that was intentionally stored would more likely have better storage conditions so plastic and rubber would have a greater chance of survival. 

I suppose a 30k mile car could be one that was stored for 20-30 years and then sold when the values didn't seem to go crazy.  Those miles could have come in the last 10 years which would be a lot different than one that got those 30k 30 years ago.

So on one of these 'new' cars is there more value in original fillers with a crack or two or replacing them?  I would think if they are more broken and missing than there then replacing would be better?

Oddly on my 73 the rears are original and still looking good.   Fronts had chunks missing when I bought the car.   I suppose that could be either an impact stressed the fronts or they were different batches of material so one held up better?

76eldo

I have owned, bought , and sold lots of 70's Cadillacs and own a black/black/red 76 Eldorado convertible.

I'd say that in comparable condition in the current market, a Bicentennial would have a $5000 premium over another 76 in the mid mileage range and a $10,000 premium over an under 1000 mile car.

So a 50,000 mile red with white top car in excellent condition would be about $22,000 and the Bicentennial in same condition would be about $27,000.

In average number 3-4 condition much less.

I don't know if anyone has actually paid these $50,000 and above asking prices on any of these.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Frantes

All.
These have all been helpful posts.  Thanks. My bicentennial eldo was used as a normal car by the original owner until about $53,000 miles. Body is in perfect shape, but has interior wear.  And thanks so much for those of you who called me and provided helpful insights.    Tom

Scot Minesinger

I guess the bicentennials are more likely to be in better shape than standard Eldorados, which may have lead me to my wrong conclusion about 2x value.  It does seem logical that a 5k premium would be more reasonable.  Again, condition will be the major determining factor.     
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

I think that the panache (?) with a BiCentennial is all about being a super low mileage example.
They had so many great colors in 76 that are way more interesting than white on white with more white but the last 200 with super low miles would be very cool to have.

Definitely on my "Day After I Win The Powerball" list.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D.Smith

Asking prices do not determine a cars value.   Selling prices do.

chrisntam

Quote from: D.Smith on January 14, 2017, 07:03:33 PM
Asking prices do not determine a cars value.   Selling prices do.

I know, I was being kind in not asking what he paid......You ask him!

;D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas