News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Difficulty removing back seat bottom on '70 Deville convertible

Started by chrisntam, January 14, 2017, 11:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

When you remove the seat bottom on your '65 to '70 Devilles, is it a really, really tight fit?

I struggle to get mine out and back in, it's almost too wide.  Both door panels are in as far as they can go.  I actually scrape up (nearly) the back door panels to remove and replace it.  As far as I know, it is the original seat bottom, doesn't look any different (on top or under) than any other seat in the interior.

Is that your experience as well?  I've taken other back seat bottoms out and they remove and replace with ease.

Struggling in Dallas......
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

I had a similar problem with my ’66 convertible. After struggling, I asked the upholstery shop for any tricks. You have to position the cushion with the rear under the seat back. Lift the front of the cushion up about 1-2 inches and push in hard. You’ll feel the rear portion of the cushion slide up on the rear body bulkhead so the catch on the front of the cushion is behind the hook on the floor. When that happens lower the front of the cushion. If you don’t raise the cushion you’re pushing against the hook on the floor

I was dealing with new upholstery with new foam. I had to sit in the front door opening with my back against the cowl door jam, and lift and push on the cushion with one leg to get enough force on the seat.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Scot Minesinger

Agree with Ralph 100%, mine has been in and out several times for various reasons.  Best to do in garage with top down and get some good lighting so you can see the hooks.  Check the seat wire frame to make sure no broken springs - that can make it more difficult to remove and reinstall.  To mend broken springs I use cable clamps (four on each mend, not two) and 1/4" round stock sistered to original springs - works great.  The push in to re-latch hooks is easy in rubber soled shoes with back on door hinge side of body and using legs.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

QuoteCrisco?

Brian,

Only if you are planning a party in the back seat.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

Party in the back seat?

I bought my first 70 DeVille convertible in the late 70's, like 1978 or so.  I was 21.
There were a few parties in that car for sure...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

chrisntam

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.  I just a little stunned it's so tight.  No reason it should be that tight.

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

My 1968 is a PITA as well. you have to angle it in and even then it is a tight fit sliding down the front end.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike