News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Exhaust Brackets on the 1957 Cadillac Good or bad idea ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, January 16, 2017, 06:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   The 1957 Cadillac came with two exhaust Brackets that are attached to the Aluminum Transmission Bell Housing . They are attached to the exhaust U bolt clamp on both the right and left hand side .  My question is are they really needed ? First of all the Exhaust pipe is very solid in that area ,  My other concern , Is it a good idea to have a steel bracket  attached to the exhaust  pipe connected to the aluminum Bell housing . It seems to me that the heat from the pipes  transferring to the aluminum Transmission Bell housing is not a good Idea .  I have noticed that most cars have lost these brackets over the years .   I would appreciate  any input on this subject .  I have fabricated  a set of brackets and now having second thoughts on using them . I have added a sketch . And a picture that i found on the internet showing the brackets .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Scot Minesinger

Cadillac continued to attach exhaust system mounts to the aluminum transmission housing into the 1970's and beyond.  Generally I find that when factory mounts, anchors, clips and etc. used to make the car more sound and vibration free, they are necessary.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

fishnjim

I would not be worried about heat conduction.   They're exposed to moving air and will act more as a fin to cool but I doubt that was design intent.
Any heat and engine vibration is already being transmitted via the direct connection of the engine to the trans and radiant heating.   
You can not rigidly anchor the exhaust pipes to the other members, eliminating will take away a negligible amount of rigidity.   There's a small possibility they may even enhance noise and vibrate, if too loose or too tight.
There must have been some potential vibration or noise they were trying to eliminate, but did not have the technology at that time to better control.
It may have helped with sealing of the manifold gasket but that's speculative.
A test, brackets on vs off, will solve your dilemma.   

David King (kz78hy)

Bill,

When I judge these cars, those brackets and flex tube covering over the 3 take down pipes (LH manifold one wrapped) is one of the things I check for.  Most cars don't bother with this, but if you are going for no deductions, then you should include them.  If not showing, then no big deal.  I believe after the first exhaust system change, these parts were omitted by the local neighborhood muffler shop.

The good news is you have them, which is rare.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello David ,
     Thanks for your input , i do appreciate it . I think your right most muffler shops threw them away . Gets in the way of do it yourself oil changes in the Garage .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Thank you Scot ,
   your input sounds and Make sense . i will make sure i have them for the upcoming season .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Fishnjim ,
   Thank you very much for all of your help . You are very knowledgeable  in the subject  pertaining to my question and i do appreciate it .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Walter Youshock

They are correct but very hard to find in "the wild" so to say.  David is right.  Once the original exhaust was replaced, they, like the covers, we're usually discarded.  There's no mention of them in the shop manual but there is a photo on page 5-7 of the drag link measurements where you can make them out.

Any chance you'd consider photographing and measuring them for replication???

Another addition for the authenticity manual.  Keep them coming, Bill.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Roger Zimmermann

A possibility why the brackets were discarded: if the first pipe is not exactly like the factory one, it will not be possible to attach the bracket(s). On my own Brougham, I have just one bracket stored somewhere; I remember I could not use it when I replaced the exhaust system.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David King (kz78hy)

I shot some photos of the 1960 master parts list showing the 57 & 58 diagrams and the numbered listing for those parts.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter