News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Cadillac TV rod issue

Started by CadillacRob, January 20, 2017, 08:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

Having trouble properly hooking up my 56 Cadillac TV rod.  It's the last thing I need to do to take it on its first test run.

The only potential thing I can think of, is that the previous engine went bad so the previous owner swapped a good 56 engine in, and perhaps they bent the TV rod?  Doubtful, but I'm having trouble.  It doesn't want to push backward enough to properly align with the hole it goes in on the carb linkage.  It also rubs the firewall.  It's connected correctly underneath as far as I know.

Here's a quick video I shot showing it.

https://youtu.be/oAw2ZqAgCEw

Thanks guys.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

goofyhb

When removing the engine from my 55 my friend bend mine to free some space. I guess the same happened to yours. We need to find someone who can make a drawing with the length and angle of each section.
1955 Series 62 Sedan http://bit.ly/1Ri914p
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Fleetwood

J. Gomez

Rod,

Just looking at the video around 1:22 it looks like the rod maybe have an extreme bent at the top red circle,  :o close to 90 degree instead of a gradual bend blue line.  ???

If you look at your Service Manual under Section 12-57 Fig 12-53 illustrates the bends at the mid and top sections going to the carb.

In case your Service Manual is a copy and hard to see the details I’m attaching one.

Good luck..! 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

CadillacRob

Thanks J. Gomez.  The only issue with that is bending it that direction would effectively make it longer, sticking out towards the front bumper more.  As you can see in the beginning of the video, the original placement of that trunion (I think that's what it's called) is too far forward.

The manual states to push the bar towards the back of the car all the way so the lever on the trans hits it's stop, then that's when you want to attach up top.  The problem is, for me to do that, the trunion needs to be all the way to the back of the threads.  Sorry if that's confusing, kind of hard to explain.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

I should also note, when im leaning over the fender and go to lift the TV rod up to the hole, it also hits before I can lift high enough.

I guess it must be bent out of shape.  It's surprising because it seems to be quite strong metal.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Walter Youshock

Definitely seems bent.  Best to find a replacement.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CadillacRob

I think as long as I bend it back to shape where the transmission throttle lever is all the way back, and the trunion is threaded and attached in its original spot, it should correctly "communicate" information as it's being driven.  The fact that there's a few inches of thread up top means these things needed adjustment over the years to get the proper shift points.

Also, the first bend on the bottom, I'm thinking if I pull there and increase that bend, that will pull it away from hitting the firewall, and also "shorten" it up top.  That might be where it got out of whack.

Worst case, I'll remove it today and have a look.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

J. Gomez

Quote from: CadillacRob on January 21, 2017, 08:42:34 AM
I should also note, when im leaning over the fender and go to lift the TV rod up to the hole, it also hits before I can lift high enough.

I guess it must be bent out of shape.  It's surprising because it seems to be quite strong metal.

Rod,

The top of the TV rod should be almost perpendicular to the engine while the bottom would be at a slight downward angle (not much) to connect the throttle lever at the transmission.

The top entrance of the rod would be slightly forward (towards the engine) with a larger gap at the rear (toward the firewall). When you move the rod backwards (as per the instructions on the manual) the rear gap allows for clearance, again the top bend would slight just below the firewall.

Your explanation above does indicates the rod is not properly aligned with the correct bends.  ???

You are in luck as I have mine out so I’m attaching a picture of were the bends are and the position on each end from the explanation above.

You should feel spring tension from the manual valve at the transmission which it is linked to the throttle control lever while moving the rod backwards, once you reach the end you can slight the rod at the carb.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

CadillacRob

Awesome!!!  I'll take mine out and post a pic to compare.  Thank you!
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

The more I study it the more I feel it's not bent out of spec at all.  In fact the only bend I detect is about 2.5 inches down from the threaded portion.  There's a bit of a divot there, so I can tell this is hollow tubing, and if it were to bend there'd likely be other buckling where it's bent.

The only thing I can guess is that it's installed wrong in some way, and maybe it needs to twist more into the trans tunnel "throat" to have the clearance it needs.  Wild guess.

I'm going to go mess with it more.  Thanks
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

Welp, after installing it and taking it out several times, I came to the conclusion the ONLY method was to bend it.  So I clamped it down and pulled a little here and a little there.  Not very obvious to the naked eye, but it was just enough to take up slack, and stay tighter to the trans tunnel , allowing clearance.

Now all I need to do is add a vacuum line for my updated corvette style master cylinder/booster power brakes, and she should be good enough to make it around the block for the first time in some 26 years.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

goofyhb

Well done, keep us updated please!
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Fleetwood

CadillacRob

Goofyhb I recognize your car from Facebook, I know you saw my recent thread there on the brakes and driving the car today.  Unfortunately it'll need the trans pulled as it's leaking a lot.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

goofyhb

Hello Rob,
so you know what work I have ahead. Stay patient when getting all the flywheels bolts out and doublecheck...
I am awaiting my engine and trans combination to be shipped over from US to Germany next week. I managed to get a 61 engine and trans for a reasonable price. Hope I will have all the necessary parts to get the car ready before May. I keep my engine and rebuilt it one by one just as I can afford.
Your video posts are great. Allways amazing when these great cars find their way back on the road after such a long rest. Hope I can post a video when my Sedan goes  into traffic again.
Best Regards
Axel
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Fleetwood

CadillacRob

1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville