News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Chrome polishing

Started by Farmer216, January 21, 2017, 10:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer216

What's the best way to polish chrome? What do you use? Thanks.

Bobby B

The least abrasive product as possible. I still prefer 0000 Steel Wool with nothing more. Use it on chrome, glass, etc. Also Rolite, Simi-chrome, Wenol, etc. all good cleaners. Also Check out Eagle One, a Wadding compound in a small silver can. Leaves zero residue and is about the quickest, most efficient way to clean chrome. Been using it on bikes forever. Does a nice job of getting into all the nooks and crannies and you don't have to worry about leaving anything visible behind.  ;)     Good luck,
                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

7gen

Simichrome with a microfiber cloth. Steel wool on chrome just sounds bad so I've never tried it. NevrDull is another choice that has worked for me.

Bobby B

Quote from: 7gen on January 21, 2017, 11:32:03 AM
Steel wool on chrome just sounds bad so I've never tried it.

0000 steel wool won't hurt your Chrome, Stainless, Glass, etc. Less abrasive than most polishes you use, and no mess. Old body shop trick to remove overspray from Glass/Chrome. Try it......
                                                                                             Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

7gen

76eldo

I use the 0000 steel wool on older chrome and stainless.
On new chrome and polished stainless I use a good quality foaming glass cleaner and a micro fiber and then use a carnuba wax.

I found some stuff at a car show called Bimbo's Extreme metal polish.
I used that on some 0000 steel wool to clean up some dull and oxidized bumpers on a 65 Vette and got some amazing results.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

harry s

I have found bronze wool (fine) works great. It is just a little softer than steel wool and doesn't shed. You can use it plain or with polish.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Jeff Wilk

Autosol cream. Nothing better IMO
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Bobby B

Quote from: harry s on January 21, 2017, 07:09:36 PM
I have found bronze wool (fine) works great. It is just a little softer than steel wool and doesn't shed. You can use it plain or with polish.     Harry

Harry,
Is that a Southern Thing?  ;D  I've never seen "Bronze" Steel wool before. Only in my Wife's kitchen sink, but that stuff will scrape paint off  :o
                                     Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

harry s

Bobby, Here's a link for the bronze wool pads. They are very fine and soft: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bronze+wool+pad&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3527279624&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1oftwqmup_e
They are used in a lot of marine applications. I tried getting them at the local Ace Hardware and was told they no longer stocked them as some were useing them for filtering the MJ.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

76eldo

I need to get some of that bronze wool.
The other benefit of using it is that if the little shavings get down in between things it won't rust if it gets wet.

Also softer is better in some instances.

But for cleaning up old chrome that is oxidized the steel wool with any kind of compound or polish works great.

Once it's rechromed and looking good I don't see any need to touch it with an abrasive or anything but a mild cleaner and wax.  If you wouldn't use it on your paint, don't use it on new chrome.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

I like Mother's chrome polish.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

gary griffin

As I recall all polish even chrome polish have some abrasives included and remove minute amounts of paint and chrome during the polishing process. Getting it clean and waxing it is the most productive way to maintain the finish. For removing oxidation and chrome deterioration I use the least abrasive product that will do the job and then keep the surface in good shape with wax. 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

fishnjim

If you want to POLISH it, then use a cotton buffing wheel with or without rouge or fine compound.   Have to know what you're doing or you'll haze it.
If you want to CLEAN it/bring it up to shine, chrome "polish" and whatever applicator you need to bring up the finish and remove the crud.  If you need metal wool, it's pretty bad.   Usually a cotton cloth will do.  I save old towels, Tshirts, etc.   I wouldn't go below 0000, you can scratch.   I even use OOOO on glass to remove the water spots, with the mothers water spot remover.
I used to use the old tan simoniz chrome polish but I don't think it's around anymore, so the last good stuff I got and still use is turtle wax chrome polish (white cream)green plastic bottle.   I tried some Dupont stuff after my simoniz ran out and it didn't work that good. 
We used everything from coca cola, cleanser, brillo pads, to wadded up aluminim foil back in the day.   
Always give it a good coat of wax after cleaning or polishing as the nickel is what dulls due to oxidation.   The protective chrome top layer is not that good unless you have really high level show chrome.   Once it rusts through, then the iron oxide bleeds through and you have to take that all off to get any shine.   Even bad chrome will look pretty good, if you know how.

cadillacmike68

Mothers has polymers in it to protect the chrome after you polish - no need to wax afterwards.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Rob Troxel

Quote from: Bobby B on January 21, 2017, 01:23:59 PM
0000 steel wool won't hurt your Chrome, Stainless, Glass, etc. Less abrasive than most polishes you use, and no mess. Old body shop trick to remove overspray from Glass/Chrome. Try it......
                                                                                             Bobby

0000 Steel wool is the best way to do it.  Great info on Eagle 1

Jose1941

Hello, just wondering if anyone has had success polishing chrome in this condition (see photos)?  I have tried 0000 steel wool, mothers polish, and Autosol but no luck yet.  Thanks in advance!

V63

Quote from: Jose1941 on February 10, 2023, 03:30:41 PMHello, just wondering if anyone has had success polishing chrome in this condition (see photos)?  I have tried 0000 steel wool, mothers polish, and Autosol but no luck yet.  Thanks in advance!

Nice 1958 fleetwood sixty special!

Sometimes the chrome is just too far gone,