News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Torque converter 1964 TH400

Started by kokerscad, January 23, 2017, 01:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokerscad

What size torque converter is on a 1964 Cadillac with the "turbo Hydramatic" transmission? I'm looking for a new one on JEGS..
C.Dias CLC#27578
1965 DeVille convertible
1964 Fleetwood 60

Ken Perry

You need to have the original one rebuilt ! There will be machining to do if you try and run a non 64 Cad converter. Been there done that. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

kokerscad

Ok will do, I'm also looking at replacing the pump behind the torque converter, anyone had experience with this also?
C.Dias CLC#27578
1965 DeVille convertible
1964 Fleetwood 60

Jason Edge

I have about 2 dozen VG used 1964 Turbo Hydra-matic Torque Converters for $45 each. I also have this like New 1964 Turbo Hydramatic Torque Converter seen below for $75 + s/h. It was pulled from a recent running parts car and looks be a new/rebuilt replacement. Price is $75 + s/h.
If interested, email me at jasonedge@nc.rr.com  with shipping address.

Just to add per Master Parts Book, Parts Group 4.115, Part # 8623990, this torque converter fits 1964 with Turbo Hydramatic, 1965 to 1967 75 Series, and commercial Chassis, and all 1968 Cadillacs.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

TJ Hopland

So what is/was special about these that you can't just buy one?  If it fits most stuff through and including 68 it seems like its got to be pretty standard.   I would guess the models that it doesn't fit are the switch pitches which were gone by 68 so that is likely why 68 goes back to fitting all.   

Before reading the what it fits bit I was just assuming that the early ones didn't have standard spacing or mounting holes since Cadillac had not yet got to a standard bell but for sure by 68 they did so that can't be it. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

savemy67

Hello Cole,

As a result of your second post, I am now curious as to why you are replacing the torque converter and pump.  Does your transmission have some problems?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

kokerscad

The transmission showed no signs of wear, or slipping. One day it just wouldn't drive anymore.
C.Dias CLC#27578
1965 DeVille convertible
1964 Fleetwood 60

Dave Shepherd

Ok, so what have you found so far, pump out and apart for inspection?, torque convertors don't normally have catastrophic failures like that.

savemy67

Hello Cole,

If I recall correctly, the '64 Cadillac shop manual has a diagnostic chart for the TH400.  If you don't have the '64 shop manual, you may want to consider obtaining one.

"The transmission showed no signs of wear, or slipping. One day it just wouldn't drive anymore." 

When you put the car in D(rive), does the transmission engage, or does the transmission engage but you cannot go very far or very fast?  Does R(everse) engage?  Sometimes problems like this can be a result of something less severe than a broken converter or pump.  Consider checking fluid level, shift linkage at both the quadrant and the transmission case.  A pressure test will indicate if the pump is working correctly even if the converter is bad.  Is the transmission out of the car?

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop