News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 fuel and brake lines

Started by MIKE2CADDIES, January 25, 2017, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKE2CADDIES

What is the best material to use for new fuel and brake lines - stainless, regular steel or copper with nickel lining. Should you increase the width of the fuel lines from 1/4 inch for better flow?

MIKE2CADDIES

Also - want to verify carb is correct - does anyone know the correct numbers for the 53 carb? Thanks

Bobby B

Quote from: MIKE2CADDIES on January 25, 2017, 08:37:08 PM
What is the best material to use for new fuel and brake lines - stainless, regular steel or copper with nickel lining. Should you increase the width of the fuel lines from 1/4 inch for better flow?

Mike,
Hi. If you plan on making your own, you better have a good hydraulic tool and extra dies if you're going to use stainless, which is what I prefer if you're going to use the car in all sorts of weather and possibly keep it outside. I've used both, and there's nothing wrong with the old fashioned steel lines either. They lasted a LONG time in most cars, and if you don't live in a place where roads are salted, then you can use old fashioned steel. It's easy to work with with hand bending/flaring tools, and easy to come by. On cars that see a lot of use, I go stainless if the look doesn't matter. For originality, I still use steel. I stay totally away from three types of tubing....The copper coated nickel (which to me looks ridiculous), the "green" coated steel       which chips/rusts anyway (and also looks out of place), and anything that comes in a "coil". I buy my stock from vendors in 6' lengths, and will usually make them up. Your other alternative to save time is to buy them pre-bent, if available, and just tackle the install yourself. I've purchased many kits in stainless from some of the big vendors, and man, they are a time saver. Nowadays I prefer that way, because in the long run it's actually cheaper. The fit is usually spot-on with very little tweaking. Even though I have the Hydraulic tool, I'll only make them up if they're not available for the specific car I'm doing, or if it's something custom, like a disc brake conversion with some other valves involved. Even then, they usually have the kits made up already for the application. Just my 2 cents  ::)....Good Luck!
                             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

CadillacRob

I just re-plumbed the entire brake system on my 56 cadillac.  Took a little more than a 25 foot roll.  I use NiCopp, which is nickel copper.  I like the look of it, but more importantly, its rot resistant (yes the original steel lasted a LONG time), and its very easy to bend and flare.  Steel would easily take me twice as long, and Nicopp took a couple days, taking time to remove the original line as complete as possible for a reference to model the new line off of.    NiCopp is DOT approved, OEM on some euro brands of cars, and its also good for Fuel lines.  Costs a little bit more, but worth it rather than trying to flare and bend steel.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Mike,

It makes a difference - is it a Carter WCFB or a Rochester Carburetor?

If it is a Carter is the brass tag missing? It can still be identified but is easier if the brass tag is on it.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

MIKE2CADDIES

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Mike,

Sorry the early Rochester have the brass tag also.

Here is what I know, these are all on id on the brass tag at the rear of the Rochester Carburetor.

1952 Carb # 7004500
1953 Carb # 7005100
1954 Carb # 7006220

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille