News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need a source for rear disc brake parts 76 Eldo

Started by STS05lg, January 24, 2017, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STS05lg

Afternoon,

I know they must be out there but i am having a difficult time fining rear calipers and brake shoes for my 76 Eldorado's. rear axle left and right. NO luck at Rock Auto, NAPA, GM Parts and other web sites. Has someone found a source of new calipers and brake shoes for the rear? The service manual specifically states that the front and rear are different and warns the technician to be sure not to install front pads on the rear.

Thanks,

Lynn

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

Brian, what makes you an authority to answer this question??

Oh, nevermind!!

;D

I see both rear calipers and rear pads at Rock Auto.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

STS05lg

Brian/Chris,
Thanks for the reply. I checked Rock Auto last week and order ACDelco front calipers and shoes but the rears were not listed at that time. I was just was seeking input from more knowledgeable members or a reliable source.
Brian have you had luck with any particular supplier?
As far as the problem, the brakes are really "soft" and the stopping distance is long.... Longer then what it takes to normally stop a three ton car... In fact about double what it is for the Talisman  or SDV. When Ray sold me the car he said the brakes were all original and had never been replaced and even at 20K miles  the parts are forty one years old... so i was going to redo the entire brake system.
Soct gave me a source for the lines, a company called In-Line and I am just collecting all the components. However i am also stumped by finding a new master cylinder and power boost.
Thanks for all your help...
Lynn

lou-q

Try Brake Motive in the Chicago area.
Largest American brake rebuilder.
brakemotiveemail addresses not permitted
Good liuck,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

savemy67

Hello Lynn,

As of this evening, RockAuto has rear calipers listed here:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1976,eldorado,8.2l+500cid+v8,1409385,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

and rear pads listed here:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1976,eldorado,8.2l+500cid+v8,1409385,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+pad,1684

and master cylinder listed here:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1976,eldorado,8.2l+500cid+v8,1409385,brake+&+wheel+hub,master+cylinder,1836

and booster listed here:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1976,eldorado,8.2l+500cid+v8,1409385,brake+&+wheel+hub,power+brake+booster,1884

Note that there is more than one supplier for each part.  I suspect some parts are from China, but some parts are re-manufactured probably in the U.S. (A-1 Cardone).  If you are going to do the work yourself, you may want to consider rebuilding the calipers, master cylinder, and booster, or have those parts sent to a rebuilder as Lou suggested.  Good luck.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

76eldo

That car should stop on a dime. I have not needed to get calipers or pads in a long time but you could have a master cylinder problem or your pads can be glazed or calipers need to be rebuilt. Really needs a good visual inspection to know what's wrong. The worst thing is to change a lot of things all at once unless you are looking to just replace everything and not isolate the problem.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I would not say these cars stop on a dime but during normal driving should not feel much different than any other car.   Normal driving there should be no question in your mind that its not going to stop.    Panic stops can be another story.  Usually all 4 will lock without too much trouble, its what happens when all 4 are locked that may cause you to need a new pair of shorts or get in trouble. 

That rear caliper is popular for rear disc conversions as well as the slightly smaller one from the 79-85's so they are being made again.  Not sure if there is more than one manufacturer but lots of people sell them.  They can be hard to identify since their sites are not set up for people looking for OE parts but an online search will usually turn up a forum thread that has part numbers.   The parking brake brackets used to be where all the value was because they didn't come with rebuilt calipers but now even those are made new.

Lots of moving parts in those so sitting seems to be hard on em.

On the booster there seems to be 2 common issues.   One is fluid leaks. They usually leak power steering fluid out one end or the other and sometimes between the sections.  Leaks are usually just from tired old seals and gaskets.   The other problem is likely a combination of wear and tired seals.  Where they tend to wear is that sweet spot were you are not quite fully stopped. 

The symptom is the pedal starts to feel soft which causes you to press harder at which point the boost seems to kick back which either causes a sudden stop or you to have to release suddenly.  The pedal kinda kicks at that point too.   Its got to be because of the wear the fluid bypasses the piston at that point but then seals up when it moves a bit further.    There can also be issues with the valving blocking flow to itself or the power steering but that seems most common on improper rebuilds.   

Some models had a cylinder about the size of a D cell battery sticking out of em.   This is a gas charged accumulator that is meant to store a reserve of power steering fluid under pressure.   Idea being the same as the vacuum boosters so it can store a charge that will give you one or two normal assisted pumps if the engien stopped.   Over time the gas leaks out so you loose that reserve.    Re builders are supposed to replace that but it doesn't seem to happen. 

This design came out in the mid 70's and was used on heavy light duty and medium duty trucks as well as the diesel cars and more or less is still commonly used today.   Different stuff has slightly different models but my understanding is that the standard rebuild kit covers many models and years so a shop may not have an exchange model on the shelf but should have no problem rebuilding one. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

7gen

I'm continually amazed at the depth of knowledge on this site.

76eldo

A few years ago I had someone make a left turn in front of me coming the other way.  I was driving the 76 Eldorado and had to lay on the brakes.  It screeched to a halt in an surprisingly short distance.  All four wheels were locked up and it stopped straight and true.

Hope I am not tested like that again anytime soon but apparently when these systems are in proper working order they work very well considering the weight of the car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

joecaristo

Lynn,
A rear wheel drive car's brakes feels different then a front wheel drive car. The hydro boost unit on the Eldos always leaks. (That's why GM connected a pan to it. )and It feels a little softer. I've owned both Eldorado's and DeVilles and this is just my opinion, but I'll bet theres nothing wrong with your 76. Its a low mileage car and just feels different then your other cars.
Joe Caristo

76eldo

I wouldn't replace the lines unless they show signs of rust or corrosion.

Rebuilding the original calipers only if needed would be better than buying replacements that may not be as good.  Pads and brake hoses may be a good move though.

With 20,000 miles it should not need much at all.  Rear calipers may be frozen from lack of use.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Burzel55

I am sending a 4 of my calipers on my recent 76 Eldorado purchase to White PostRestorations in Virginia. www.whitepost.com. They rebuild callers and Master cylinder.
I have used them for several restorations and they do a fantastic job. Typically less than a week to turn around. My opinion is to keep the cars original parts and have them rebuilt .

1976 Eldorado Convertible
500 CI FI