Recommendations for replacement Floor Pans for a '71 Eldorado

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), February 01, 2017, 04:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

Would appreciate it if someone could give me their recommendations for replacement Floor Pans for a '71 Eldorado.

I am about to replace the floor on a Convertible that was sold as being rust-proofed, but alas, they forgot to mention that they rust-proofed over the already rusty floor.

Removing the carpet for an internal upholstery replacement revealed a horrible sight.

Any information on a good supplier, preferably with the correct patterning would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Bruce, it's a litte bit pretentious to say it that way: you won't find any. All sheet metal reproduction for Cadillac are rubbish!
Maybe you may find an Olds Toronado as a donor car; they must share the same floor.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Roger,

I wouldn't be surprised if I have to fabricate what I want, and do my own creasing and shaping.

Finding a good floor pan anywhere near me is going to be non existent, and therefore would have to come from USA, along with the tremendous cost.   But, will wait a couple of days before purchasing my own shapers and rollers.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Who knows, Bruce, maybe you will get a positive answer, but I doubt.
Years ago, I let import a floor from a '60 Sedan for a '59 convertible. With the exception of minor details, the floors are the same. What an adventure! Fortunately, I had not to pay the bill...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger, I use a Swedish shipping agent based in Alabama for my purchases in the states. I buy the parts, they get shipped to Alabama. Once a month the parts are shipped in a container (from many customers so its not only my stuff). A few weeks later the parts are available to me in Sweden. Cost saving compared to air-shipping or regular shipping is 30-70%. And its also a large save on the prices themselves. So comparing to buying over desk in Sweden is 20-50% and sometimes more. The only drawback the waiting time.

Looks like OPGI has the front pans. They have the rear as well. Not cheap though.

https://www.opgi.com/cadillac/CE06149/

Roger Zimmermann

If I would import parts for other people like I did 10 years ago, it could be a solution. Other people do use a container, I know some in Switzerland. Since some years ago, I decided to import only parts I can transport myself, which means all which need a truck/pickup or whatever commercial vehicle, I decline. As most people want their parts yesterday, I continued what I did some 30 years ago: individual shipment for mostly small parts. As it's not even a side business, I'm well with that system.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Well, I have come to the decision that with what is available, which isn't much, the cost of the parts, and the postage, I can use the money saved in purchasing some more tools to handle the task myself.

I will be tackling the job starting Monday, with removing the offending rusty pieces, and fabricating my own pieces, with home-pressed formations, using steel formers, and a deftly swung sledge hammer, heat, and more persuasion to replicate the original.

The process will be covered in the Restoration Section as I move forward.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe