News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Recommendations for replacement Floor Pans for a '71 Eldorado

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), February 01, 2017, 04:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

Would appreciate it if someone could give me their recommendations for replacement Floor Pans for a '71 Eldorado.

I am about to replace the floor on a Convertible that was sold as being rust-proofed, but alas, they forgot to mention that they rust-proofed over the already rusty floor.

Removing the carpet for an internal upholstery replacement revealed a horrible sight.

Any information on a good supplier, preferably with the correct patterning would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Bruce, it's a litte bit pretentious to say it that way: you won't find any. All sheet metal reproduction for Cadillac are rubbish!
Maybe you may find an Olds Toronado as a donor car; they must share the same floor.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Roger,

I wouldn't be surprised if I have to fabricate what I want, and do my own creasing and shaping.

Finding a good floor pan anywhere near me is going to be non existent, and therefore would have to come from USA, along with the tremendous cost.   But, will wait a couple of days before purchasing my own shapers and rollers.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Who knows, Bruce, maybe you will get a positive answer, but I doubt.
Years ago, I let import a floor from a '60 Sedan for a '59 convertible. With the exception of minor details, the floors are the same. What an adventure! Fortunately, I had not to pay the bill...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger, I use a Swedish shipping agent based in Alabama for my purchases in the states. I buy the parts, they get shipped to Alabama. Once a month the parts are shipped in a container (from many customers so its not only my stuff). A few weeks later the parts are available to me in Sweden. Cost saving compared to air-shipping or regular shipping is 30-70%. And its also a large save on the prices themselves. So comparing to buying over desk in Sweden is 20-50% and sometimes more. The only drawback the waiting time.

Looks like OPGI has the front pans. They have the rear as well. Not cheap though.

https://www.opgi.com/cadillac/CE06149/

Roger Zimmermann

If I would import parts for other people like I did 10 years ago, it could be a solution. Other people do use a container, I know some in Switzerland. Since some years ago, I decided to import only parts I can transport myself, which means all which need a truck/pickup or whatever commercial vehicle, I decline. As most people want their parts yesterday, I continued what I did some 30 years ago: individual shipment for mostly small parts. As it's not even a side business, I'm well with that system.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Well, I have come to the decision that with what is available, which isn't much, the cost of the parts, and the postage, I can use the money saved in purchasing some more tools to handle the task myself.

I will be tackling the job starting Monday, with removing the offending rusty pieces, and fabricating my own pieces, with home-pressed formations, using steel formers, and a deftly swung sledge hammer, heat, and more persuasion to replicate the original.

The process will be covered in the Restoration Section as I move forward.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe