News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle VIN

Started by Bernard, January 29, 2017, 02:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernard

Hi
Can someone please decode this VIN for me:

It should be for a 1939 LaSalle.

Many thanks for any help,
Bernard
Bernard Riebel

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Bernard, other than the production # of the car, there is no "decoding" as is found on later year cars. It's simply a serial #. In any case, welcome to the Forum.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

35-709

From the information-rich Cadillac & LaSalle Club Directory, the serial number range for 1939 LaSalles was/is 2290001 through 2313002 which would put your 2297741 number right in that range.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Chuck Patton

Hello Bernard

Glad to read of your interest in this LaSalle.  If you provide the body data plate information I can decode it for you.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Bernard

Hi Chuck
Time goes so fast... Meanwhile I am proud owner of a 1936 Cadillac Fleetwood Model 7057.
Can you still decode my body data plate?
Maybe you have also information about the production figures... especially about the
1936 Cadillac Model 70 Body Fleetwood 2 passenger coupe 7057?
Bernard Riebel

Jeff Hansen

Hello Bernard,

I think I can fill you in on some of the information this data plate tells us.

Body #5 is the 5th series 7057 body built by Fleetwood for the 1936 model year.

Paint code #36 is Klamath Green.

Trim code 4723 is very interesting.  There is no mention of that specific code in the list of 1936 trim codes.  HOWEVER, I have a theory on what it means.  There are a number of trim options listed that don't have a specific two digit trim code.  One of them has a reference to a different trim number: W4723.  That trim code shows as "Tan Plain Cloth".  I believe the W refers to Weiss fabric which would be from an outside firm and the number refers to one of their cloths.  This would definitely be high-end material.  Anyway, that's just a theory, but I don't have a better answer.

Please post a photo of your very rare car!

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bernard

Hi Jeff

Many thanks for these information.
Do you have a source for finding out what the production figures are for my model?

Here in Switzerland Winter time is starting so I am no more on the road.
The following pictures where taken on a ride right after I have received the Caddy.
I am sure next spring I will have a lot of better pictures to show ;-)
Bernard Riebel

Bernard

one more...
Bernard Riebel

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bernard,
Jeff is correct on the upholstery code. I don't want to disappoint you, but no one has researched the # of 7057 cars built. I'm sure it's low. And please don't ask how many are left! LOL!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.