News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Buying and owning a 82-95 Cadillac in 2017

Started by TJ Hopland, January 31, 2017, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

A couple recent threads have talked about cars from this era.  I picked those dates because of the 4100-4.5-4.9 engines.  I know there are some years and models in that range without those engines but for the most part in that range those were the common engines.  There is plenty of info on the engines so I would like to leave engines out of this discussion.   What I want to know about is the rest of the car.

The reason I think this would be a good thread is those cars are at least 20 years old now and 20 years seems to be the magic number were a lot of people start 'collecting'.   I think 20 years is the magic because it tends to be the bottom of the value curve but not so old that most are rotten so there are still a lot available.  20 years is also the time when someone that remembers those cars as a kid may be able to afford an extra car.   Say you were 10 when your family or neighbor got that 95, you are now  30 something and maybe just paid off your schooling and not yet having to pay for your kids so you have a few bucks and a little time.   Sure you want a 59 Brougham or a 69 Charger but you are not that rich yet so next thing you look at is the cars you remember being new which is the era I am talking about.       

What I would like to hear about from those with experience is how to these cars hold up today and how is it to get parts and maintain them?   

It seems like the rubber and plastic parts have got better.   The 70's cars at 20 years often needed bumper fillers, had cracked dashes, and cracked door panels.    At a glance it seems like the 80's cars were better in those areas?   

How does the electronics hold up?   Digital dashes?   Climate control?   Other gadgets? 

Any issues getting typical wear parts?  Parts stores still have them in stock or can at least order em?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

sding

Scot Minesinger

I owned a 1995 Fleetwood RWD and aside from trim parts, no issues finding parts new to keep it on the road.  It had the 5.7 Liter engine and although the post said to keep engines out of discussion, the engine was a very strong point of the car.  The very cool styling, and everything else was great.  It was a wonderful, durable, dependable and impressive Cadillac.  If they still made a large, (emphasis on large, able to carry 5 full grown adults like a Crown Vic) RWD V-8 it would be in my garage. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TMoore - NTCLC

I am going to agree with you that the bodies on these cars were much improved.  I owned an 1986 Sedan deVille for several years, and compared to my Cadillacs from the late 70's, the 86 was far tighter, the plastics held up much better (no cracked dash or armrests or body fillers), the door style (where the door wrapped over the body instead of fitting into the the body) kept the wind noise down and helped keep the weather stripping protected.  The 86, with far more miles on it than my 79, was a much tighter car, and much quieter on the highway.  Same has been true with my 1994 Fleetwoods - I put 250K mile on the first one, it was still a much more refined car than the 70's that have less than 60K miles.  I also think the electronics were much improved - never really had any issues with wiring or control modules or display units with the later models.  Also, a number of little things - seat transmissions, power antennas, fit and finish - all seem to have improved during that period.

I won't discuss the engine - I did get over 100K out of the 4.1, but sold it when I started detecting a noise that I did not like deep inside the engine.  The LT1 engines in the Fleetwoods have been absolute winners.

cadman56

I own a 91 Brougham w/198K miles on it.  Best car I ever had.  Total rebuild front to rear top to bottom everything new.  Did this to drive to CLC National Driving Tours but selling due to loss of eyesight.
Best body style of any Cadillac ever, except for my 56 Seville.  Best driving Cadillac I ever owned too.  I agree with Scot's response.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Greg Powers

The most dependable and  luxurious models of this era were the Brougham and later Fleetwood Brougham. The rear filler panels on the Brougham often need to be replaced but are readily available in the marketplace. As stated before, some trim pieces on the Fleetwood Brougham are not reproduced at this time but the car is a dream to drive. I have owned 3 Broughams and I am currently driving a 1994 Fleetwood Brougham. These are the only models to retain the longer wheel base, rear wheel drive and full chrome bumpers. Many feel that these were the last of the traditional Cadillac models.   
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!