News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hi Folks ! Looking for basic informations about Cadillac

Started by TheFrenchGuy, February 03, 2017, 02:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFrenchGuy

Fist of all thanks for this nice forum. :)

Let me introduce myself, I'm a french guy living in the eastern area of France (where people are nicer ;) ) and I'm about to make a journey to the land of suntan lotion in March. I'm a sensible 40 years old social worker, but I always got that crush for American classics that's why I want to seize the opportunity of my journey to bring back home some V8 American pride.

Being a tall and (I have to admit it) rather chubby guy, I make my bets on a Cadillac to get a comfortable ride that I can use as a weekend car to get some fun and make good times roll. See what I mean !

On the other hand in spite of the fact that I'm traveling with my friend who is a great mechanic, I don't have a lot of knowledge about Cadillac. So Please can you give me some insights or advices about what kind of Cadillac I can buy for 6 grand ? I am looking at some great coupe de ville on Craigslist but the price is so cheap that I don't feel really confident about this choice.

This is kind of silly but as a great Neil Young enthusiast, I have this song running in my head "Coupe de Ville" from the 1988 album "this note's for you" And I really love the three doors Cadillac coupe De Ville. But there is so much to learn and so little time before I pay you a visit...

Should I search for a 78-81 Cadillac or a 76 equipped with an bigger engine ?

Driving a Cadillac is not about speed it's about comfort, but I also want a reliable car 'cause as a french social worker my budget is rather low...

So any information to help me build a bit of Cadillac knowledge would be much appreciated !

Thanks for reading this, I hope I get a few answers, Till then have a nice weekend !

Laurent a nice 40 years old french guy

L Lagineau

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Laurent...Welcome to the CLC Forum.

Answer to your question: 1977 - 1979 Coupe deVille with 425 4bbl and don't look back.

For comfort, ride, all around ease of use/maintenance/drivability as well as durability in the traditional Cadillac package of front engine, rear wheel drive V8 with generous chrome hardware on each end, these models are difficult to beat - and at any price, IMHO.

Very good examples can be had for as little as $5,000, even less for 4 door Sedan deVille. Top examples can run to $10K or higher (depending on color combination and equipment).

Happy hunting and good luck.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

tturley

I am a member of the Kansas City chapter and our president forward this to us,
It is very nice looking yellow convertible.
I will try to post some pics

Members,
I got this info from a guy with LazerTow out of Grandview.  He has this Eldo that he would like to sell and wanted me to pass along this info.  I think he indicated that he’s looking to ask $5000 although that is something you could talk to him about.  I’ll send along some additional photos that he sent also.
Steve

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:41 PM
To: caddy4961@outlook.com
Subject: 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

Lazer Pipes Services Inc. ( Lazer Tow )
4100 Main Street
Grandview Missouri 64030
Office 816-763-2112
Bruce Pollock Cell # 816-215-4241 You may use this number anytime.

More Pic’s to Follow

Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

TheFrenchGuy

Hi Eric !

Thanks for your heartwarming welcome and for taking time to answer me so early in the morning (here it's Friday evening got back from work shared some beers with folks)

I'll be scouting for my Cadillac around L.A Area with my folks in a few weeks, on the other hand we won't travel any further than the great Pomona Swap exchange on the 5th of March, so Missouri is unfortunately not an option.

Eric, I love the "don't look back" part of your advice !  ;D This is precisely what I wanna do.

Think I'll have some great times in the USA in March, got so much to share and to learn! Thanks again !
L Lagineau

Dollar and Euro is high and Swedish krona is low. And the best American cars in Europe you will find in Sweden. As that's within EU you wont have to pay any taxes and cost of transportation will be low. You can drive it home in the spring! So even though it's fun to buy a car in USA it might be a better deal buying in Sweden.

https://www.blocket.se/stockholm/bilar?q=cadillac&cg=1020&w=3&st=s&ca=11&is=1&l=0&md=th&cb=4
Hopefully this link will take you direct to Cadillacs for sale in Sweden. Prices in Swedish krona and you do the math. I think you will be able to understand even though its in Swedish. And remember you can always talk the price down, at least 10% with a cash deal.

TheFrenchGuy

Yeps ! Got that right !On the other Hand I'm heading to America in March so I'll have to try to make a deal there!

In California I will also have a large choice of (I hope) rust free cars and I will be much easier to find some parts if I need to make an interior nicer.

But you're right Sweden is a great B plan, knew that from the TV show wheeler dealers.  8)
L Lagineau

The Tassie Devil(le)

Dear LaurentL,

You have an email from the Administrators that require your attention.

I sent it two days ago.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TheFrenchGuy

Sorry, I take care of this right now !  8)

OK it's done !

In three weeks I will fly to California to find myself a nice Cadillac and even if I do have a thing for the beautiful coupe de ville from the end of the seventies, I still don't have a lot of information about them. Gonna buy something like a 1976 Cadillac Coupe De Ville 8.2L. I crave for advices and informations of any kind about these cars so if you can help me out, I would be really grateful ! Thanks
L Lagineau

Carl Fielding

Hi Laurent ,
        I have spent a couple days looking all over California , Oregon , Washington , and Las  Vegas for ALL Cadillacs to understand the current market for you. I have found only 2 1976 Coupe Devilles worth a second look. I know these cars quite well , and these days it is becoming difficult and time consuming to find one worth purchasing. California and Nevada cars often have sun damage which makes them unacceptable to me. A very rare opportunity is a 41,000 mile blue garage kept 1976 Cad CDV being sold by the owner since 1977. This is EXTREMELY unusual these days. $10,100 asking , but has been on CL for 22 days. May be some flexibility at this point. I would think $7500-$8000 might be possible. This car is in Salinas , which is a day's drive North of L.A. by way of one of the most beautiful coastal roads in the world. This would be my recommendation to you , as you could look for a year or two and not find anything like this. IT IS ALWAYS THE MOST INEXPENSIVE OPTION TO BUY THE VERY BEST OLD CAR YOU CAN POSSIBLY AFFORD. Or , even one that you can not quite afford ! You could spend all your time looking at junk , or junk that appears almost acceptable, only to have problems making your trip somewhat disappointing, and expensive.  sfbay.craigslist.org  also  monterrey.craigslist.org
1976 Cadillac Coupe Deville.

A white '76 CDV with cloth interior is on CL in Las Vegas. Not as nice , with a cracked and peeling steering wheel has 74,000 miles , a CLC member is asking $4500 or offer. I intend to call him later , (it is 4:00 AM here now , I have spent quite a bit of time looking today) , and will post here for you. It is possible that this owner knows me , as I drove my 1927 Cadillac 2700 miles to , and around Las Vegas last year for the CLC Grand National.

There are a couple of other Cads not too far away that I must call on in order to see if they are worth considering.

You need all the help you can possibly get , as your intentions could end up becoming frustrating. I have been buying '60s and '70s Cadillacs out of California for over 30 years. It used to be easy. Not so now.

I have nothing to do with any of the cars I am looking at for you. I enjoy looking for Cadillacs and brand X cars , and do not make any money when I find or sell someone else's cars. I do ask that someone who I help feeds me a very good meal. In this case , I would have to travel to L.A. , or France !

Please communicate through the forum , as I say , you would be wise to enjoy the help of us friendly CLC members. Take a look at the 2 cars referenced , and let us know what you think.   - Carl

Roger Zimmermann

Carl, it seems that you like to search cars! I'm amazed that you spent so much time for somebody you don't know; I hope that TheFrenchGuy will appreciate!
I'm almost in the same situation: as you may have read, I sold my 1956 Sedan de Ville last November because I would like to buy a nice 1970 to 1972 Coupe or Sedan de Ville. I used to buy my cars to restore them but now this is something from the past the next car will be there just to enjoy it.
I never considered to import myself a car from the US but, if you see a de Ville in exceptional condition, I may change my mind. There is no urgency, we still have winter here!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Carl Fielding

Hi Roger ,
         Thank you for your perceptive , kind compliments ! Laurent and his friend are embarking on an endeavor with tremendous risk , and a learning curve so steep and high that it almost guarantees frustration. Planning for this trip should have included membership in CLC , (perhaps he has joined) , and a prominent 1/4 page ad in the Self Starter. Contact with fellow members could yield a fine car at a reasonable price. I cannot imagine a member who would take advantage of a Cadillac fan , much less a brother member. I suppose theoretically it could happen , as it turns out that fully 1 in 17 people exhibit some degree of clinical sociopathy. Believe me , I , as most of us , have encountered evidence that substantiates this sad fact. I agonize that Laurent may have a less than joyful vacation. With limited time on California soil , "California Dreaming"  could change into a California nightmare. He has asked for help , and help he sorely needs. On a low workload day , I would like to illustrate this with the "Farmer John The Giant From The Adams Family" story. It involves a 1969 Cadillac from Riverside , East of L.A. If EXACTLY THE RIGHT CAR awaited Laurent as far away as Las Vegas or San Francisco , it could very easily save him time , distance , and gasoline. The L.A. area is so vast that 200+ miles a day might be conservative for a Cad Hunter , stopping and going on the freeways. And then on to the next imposter who turns out to be a less than tame goose.

I bought my first California Cadillac in 1979. My now highly modified wrecked '71 Eldo conv which has seen unbelievably hard duty over much of Mexico. In those days , big , fine garage kept '60s and '70s Cads were just inexpensive used cars purchased from their attentive wealthy first or second owners. Serviced by the Cadillac dealer which originally sold them , copies of the entire service records were provided. Right now , the occasional early '90s Cad may be found , low mileage , out of the garage , at quite attractive prices. My '90 1/2 Allante , my '93 60 Special , I am so tempted , but around here , the end is drawing near. In the meantime , I really do enjoy Cadillac and MB hunting.

It will be a pleasure to hunt for your next Cadillac. In your case , that would have to be within a 100 - 300 mile radius. As you will not be here , I will have to personally inspect the car. I have recently looked at several Cads here (Washington State) , so there is some momentum. I do know that you are rather specific about this Cadillac , but I wonder : A '69 ? So similar to '70. A '73 ? Those being a superior car to the '71 and '72s , handle better as I recall due to some suspension tuning. What colors are most attractive to you ? Any colors you do not want ? Leather interior ? Cloth ? I had a '73 SDV many years ago with a gorgeous saddle brown leather interior , 40/60 front seat. It was very classy. If I found a white one with that interior , it would be very hard to resist. Almost a European level of elegance. O.K. , I got a callback while writing from the Las Vegas Cad. I do not think it is the right one yet , but if Laurent likes that particular blue cloth interior , I am very sure the price can come down quite a bit. Apparently the car runs very well , and all the vacuum lines are new , but I would prefer to spend two or three times the money for that 41,000 miler from Salinas. I have not heard back from them , as you can only contact through Craigslist , I sent them my number yesterday. I frequently try to contact this way with no response. This can go on for weeks , as the car just sits with the posting still up. Another time consuming frustration. I am waiting for other calls. But I will post my progress soon. Others I want to check on , but I need to know if there is any potential interest in the low mileage "new" blue '76 CDV. I would buy that one under the time constraints , and the economy of having a perfect car. ALWAYS cheaper in the long run. Not to mention the greatly enhanced ability of selling a pristine example in any market. The current Self Starter has a member with a 41,000 mole '76 CDV in Pennsylvania for $9500 , so I think that garage kept one from the owner of 40 years is at a realistic starting points. Close to the airport too , relatively speaking. Oh , Roger if we can find the Cad of your dreams , I could deliver it to any airport and meet you on arrival. You then could tour that section of the country before sending it home. I suppose I could arrange shipping, but what a nice way to see you favorite part of the U.S.A. , and not to have to do it in a rented Chevrolet !

Alright Laurent , what are you thinking ? Might you be interested in a low mileage '70s Eldorado coupe ? There is a very good '78 with a factory sunroof which I will call on tonight. Also there is a 33,000 mile '79 Fleetwood without fuel injection. Just under $6000. Those are very good cars , a bit smaller than the earlier 8.2 Cads. They handle significantly better than the big ones , and of the '77 - '79s , the '79 is improved in that respect.   RSVP , - Carl

Roger Zimmermann

Hi Carl

Thanks for your answer. Well, a '73 would still fit, although the front end is less pleasant; 69 could also be an alternative, they have front disk brakes. No matter which year (69 to 73), they will drive better than my '56 did! Outside color: no black or white. I like metallic colors...Inside: my '56 de Ville had cloth/leather. I find it a good combinaison; my 2 other Cads plus the 2011 DTS have leather. I would make it clear: don't begin to hunter for a car! Just tell me if, by accident, you came across that low mileage, driven from that proverbial little lady using the car to go to the church! I would feel bad if, because of me, you are accumulating miles either in your Cad or Mercedes!
I never imported myself a car from the US, I would no do it myself but would let organize the whole thing by somebody who is importing cars professionally. A quick trip to see the "treasure", why not, but for the next 4 years I prefer to not pay a visit in the clown's land. If you don't understand what I do mean, the answer will came with a PM!

When I began to get interested by Cadillacs with the desire to own one, I bought books to learn. I also had a good help from Yann Saunders while he was living near Geneva. Imagine that, even after reading books, I could not see the difference between a 1959 convertible and a '59 Biarritz! I was so simple, thank Yann for being a good teacher!

This previous remark in indeed addressed to Laurent who had hopes to learn in one week or two all the details and characteristics from those cars...I would call it "mission impossible"! Carl, as you wrote, his trip to the US will not be so easy. Let see what the outcome will be.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Carl Fielding

I was just proofreading a labor of almost 2 hours of contemplation , and an equal time of composition from 12:30 until 4:15 A.M. It evaporated while editing , and is apparently lost forever. It was full of an enormous amount of info , and I make it a policy never to re-write which has been robbed from me.

LAURENT : RSVP

ROGER : YES , WE WILL HAVE TO DISCUSS SOME THINGS OFF LINE. I HAD WRITTEN A POLITICALLY NEUTRAL SYNOPSIS OF THE TECTONIC CHANGES GOING ON IN THE WORLD NOW. HISTORICALLY FASCINATING TIME TO TRAVEL IN THE U.S. NOT QUITE LIKE 1930s EUROPE , BUT ................
            - Seething , furious over the loss of fully 4 hours of sleep time , - Carl

Roger Zimmermann

Oh Carl, it must be frustrating to loose so much thinking and writing. When I know that the message will be long, I don't write directly into the forum but into another program. From time to time, Internet can have a cut; I suppose it happens to you and, when the subject is not sent, it's lost.

I'm wondering if Laurent will respond to the cars you saw for him...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Carl Fielding

About equal amounts of time were devoted to re-reading and thinking about every word in this thread , and the actual writing. At present I have no backup capability , so I think short , staccato, individual bits will get the necessary points across ---- TBC - CC

Carl Fielding

At the outset , what Laurent has done is exactly what he should do under the circumstances. He has come to a good place for help , and it is being provided. This makes his mission possible. May be difficult, but by utilizing help from all who offer it , he may have beginners luck. Visiting family , presuming that he has the use of the So Cal necessity, a car , and excellent , idiomatically sophisticated English which implies earlier extended trips here , and/or deep media immersion , gives him a sound foundation for potential success. Further , he actually has a clear picture of what he wants , and that picture is valid. Big , comfortable , 500 cu. in. CDV. There is nothing else quite like these huge luxury Cadillacs. Andy Grove (of Intel) , had a '76 F'wood with around 1/4 million miles on it , he obviously loved it. We all know about love for cars , and I am pretty sure Laurent does too. I hope I have not scared him in any way , rather , I offered real-time help by way of telephone support as he looks at candidate Cads. That phone no. presently will be 408-621-8261. I can easily guide him through hands-on inspection of key areas. Accurate interior restoration is not an easy task at best , so avoiding the usual Southern sun damage will be a major consideration. Traveling with a mechanic friend is smart and effective. This can be done , of course , as all car hunters know , something we call LUCK usually delivers the truely beloved car ! Let's help stack the deck in Laurent's favor. But we do need feedback from him frequently. Again , I hope he is encouraged , rather than the contrary.  - CC

P.S. : Are you still with us , Laurent ?

Carl Fielding

CC & CLC to Laurent...............CC & CLC to Laurent............Come in Laurent..............CC & CLC to Laurent............... ? CC........... ......  ....    ..     .       

TheFrenchGuy

Hi folks ! I'm back (I was busy with my work and forgot to check the forum, I do feel ashamed... Sorry it won't happen again... :-[ )

First of all, Carl, if this was possible right now, I'd like to shake your hand for taking so much time to help me out. Thanks for your great insights and for being sincere.

I have found several cheap ( 3000-5000 $) but very good looking Cadillacs on Craigs list L.A  On the other hand, considering what you wrote, this may mean that the cars I'm gazing at all have some issues and are in fact money pits ? sun baked interiors ?

My two friends are some great mechanics specialized in American classics but they don't know much about Cadillac.
I'm traveling for the first time in the USA and I really want to bring back an American classic, I made my bet on a Cadillac from around the 70's with a carburetor engine. I wanted a Coupe de Ville but I can change my mind. I will have a look at the cars you have found for me.

We have rent a car for our journey, a big one to carry our cases and some parts we may buy afterwards.

The only thing I've got to know is : Can I buy a worthy classic Cadillac for 6000 $ in  the L.A area in March ?

Depending on your answer (don't be scared to be blunt) I will go on or ditch my dream. You have done a lot for me but may I show you one or two Craig's list adds to have your thoughts about them ?

I'm also a bit scared about my english, this is the first time that I'm traveling in an english speaking country since the compulsory trip to England when I was 13, I may have an overestimated view of my actual skill...

I'm scared, scared to be separated from my friends at the airport, scared to get lost, to disappoint them... but I've got to hold on and cling to my project, I will do my best and as you write maybe lady luck will help me out !  ;D

Thanks a lot Carl, if one day I can help you out ( a trip to France maybe ?) I'll be more than happy and proud to help you too, till then I'm on my way to read again your last messages and to check the car options you have found for me.

Sincerely yours, Laurent

L Lagineau

Carl Fielding

I just checked the forum , and am delighted to see you are with us here. It is past my lunch time , so l'll fuel and med-up for a long , logical tutorial. I have got calls back , and the way is clear for me. To give you a quick answer : yes it is possible to find the Cadillac you are looking for in the greater L.A. area for $6000. But , BUT , possible depends on making it a FULL TIME JOB in a certain way. Also depends on 3 other things : number one , luck ; number two , Luck ; number three , LUCK. As Gen. McArthur said , "I shall return". ( I think the "Terminator" paraphrased him decades later).             
                  Back in an hour or two , - Carl