News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76 Eldorado- What is the name for carburetor part

Started by LenInLA, February 05, 2017, 03:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

What is the proper name of the hose in the photo? It's incredibly brittle and is just asking to be replaced. Thanks!

Leonard Grayver

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is called simply a Heat Tube.

The first thing I did with my car was to remove the tube, as I always try to keep the air intake in my engines as cold as possible.   

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

LenInLA

Bruce - you removed it altogether? What was its intended purpose?

Leonard Grayver

Bobby B

Quote from: LenInLA on February 05, 2017, 04:04:29 PM
Bruce - you removed it altogether? What was its intended purpose?
Leonard Grayver

I think it's about 100 degrees every day in the Land Down Under. Serves no purpose for him.. >:D
                                                                                                                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scot Minesinger

This air duct (heat tube) draws combustion air across the exhaust manifold instead of from the intake at front of car connected to snorkel with plastic flex duct.  There is a snorkel damper that directs either from front of car or across exhaust manifold.  The reason for this is faster warm up.  This is controlled by a snorkel damper vacuum actuator that is triggered by a temperature sensor.  Sometimes the sensor is bad an allows vacuum to pass thru it and then even when car is warmed up combustion air is drawn across the exhaust manifold, which may cause hot running or overheating.  I disconnected the vacuum hose from sensor and plugged, so it stays in the already warmed up mode.  Bruce's method is more sure fire. 

In any event this may be helpful when car is driven in extreme cold weather, but mine always warms up quick in the weather I drive my 1970 Cadillac in.

It will not hurt your car if the tube is removed, but it could if the combustion air is inadvertently drawn across exhaust manifold for extended periods during warm weather.  I would deactivate this feature in one way or another.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bobby B on February 05, 2017, 05:20:54 PM
I think it's about 100 degrees every day in the Land Down Under. Serves no purpose for him.. >:D
Bobby
Thankfully it is not, but when it does reach these temperatures, it is too hot.   But, with the depleted Ozone Layer any time out in the sunlight is extreme heat, especially when not wearing a hat or sunscreen.

Down here in Tasmania, even the Queenslanders complain about the heat of the sun.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

I've seen hose like that for sale in auto parts stores.
Joe Caristo is the best I've ever seen for detailing the engine compartment in 70's Eldo's. He probably knows where to get that hose and will see this post.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

The parts store ones are a aluminum tube.  I think the originals were almost a coated paper sort of thing.  Seems like there are people selling the original style if that is important. 

I'm with the rest...  only slightly useful for extreme cold like below freezing.    Most of the time what I see on these is they just are not hooked up because the last person to have the air cleaner housing off forgot.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bobby B

Quote from: TJ Hopland on February 05, 2017, 07:12:59 PM
The parts store ones are a aluminum tube.  I think the originals were almost a coated paper sort of thing.  Seems like there are people selling the original style if that is important. 

TJ,
Hi. The cardboard style ones are still available. They come in different lengths and diameters. If you ask, they'll order it for you in your local parts store. They also look better. The aluminum ones look too much like a (now illegal) dryer vent hose. 
                                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jakes

Len.. GM calls it "Stove to Air Cleaner Duct".  I've also seen it called "Pre-heat Stove to Air Cleaner Duct" and also "Fuel Pre-heater Hose".  I replaced my brittle one with the typical "tight-accordian" aluminum one that I got on Amazon, but they're readily available in auto parts stores; just be sure it fits the year and model of your car (diameter and length).  If you use the aluminum type, be sure to flare or bend out the opening a little that fits on the "stove" above the exhaust manifold because it's a snug fit.  The opposite opening that attaches to the air cleaner elbow is no problem.
Paul
'78 Eldo. Custom Biarritz Classic