News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 jetaway leak

Started by CadillacRob, February 06, 2017, 04:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

Recently woke up my 56 caddy from its 27 year sleep.  The trans has a sizable leak.  I was posting on another thread but didn't want to hijack theirs.

I just now ran the car a minute and then crawled under it.  The pan is wet, that's an easy obvious gasket, but it also seems to be leaking out where the starter connects.  Looks like the starter at its base has a weep hole just for this possibility. 

Is there any way to fix this without dropping the trans or no? 

A friend of mine has a guy who can rebuild the original for $1250 provided I bring it to him out of the car and that there's no broken internal parts.  The car has roughly 75k original miles.

Another friend is really pushing for me to get a rebuilt 700r4.  This would give me OD for the highway and rid me of the original starter (must be changed for the swap, and originals cost a lot if and when it goes bad).  I'd also need to modify the driveshaft, linkages, and speedometer.  I could have all this (including the adapter plate) for roughly $1500.  Its really quite tempting.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

J. Gomez

Rob,

For the pan gasket there is no need to disconnect the transmission it can be done while on the car. As for the front leak if problem is the front seal or torus “O” ring seal, unfortunately you will need to drop the transmission.

I just did mine just the major seals and it was not that hard as long as you have the tools and manuals to follow the process.

If your rebuilder is charging you $1,500 for a complete rebuild that is all clutches and pressure plates, seals, etc. included I would say that is a really good price. Just be cognizant on the rebuilder background and warranty if anything goes wrong after the rebuilt.

You can check with Ben Friend (chstitans42) thread under the “restoration corner” he had a small hiccup with his transmission rebuilder -> http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=127357.0.

Good luck..!   
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

cadman56

J. Gomez is right on.  That much age, even though the miles are 'low', seals probably are dry or very brittle.  Your best bet is to make sure the builder knows his stuff backwards and forwards and then go for a rebuild.  Good luck, Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

CadillacRob

Parts supplier says the exterior seals and O ring kit is like $63 bucks or so.  I believe I'll attempt it myself.  I'm no transmission guy but I am mechanical.  Gomez, did you need any special tools?
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

J. Gomez

Quote from: CadillacRob on February 09, 2017, 09:30:35 PM
Parts supplier says the exterior seals and O ring kit is like $63 bucks or so.  I believe I'll attempt it myself.  I'm no transmission guy but I am mechanical.  Gomez, did you need any special tools?

Rob,

If you are doing the front seal behind the torus cover at the flywheel housing you will need the seal and bushing protector “N”. The only tool you will need to go down this path would be a snap ring pliers “M”. You could probably rig something up for the seal and bushing protector.  ???

Just remember to take a lot of pictures of how everything is remove on the torus thrust washers, sun gear, etc. and place them back the same way.

For the rear seal you will need the seal remover collet “O” but it can also be removed with a standard seal remover, a bit of a hassle but doable.

The rest are just standard hand tools.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

savemy67

Hello Rob,

If you do not have a shop manual, this link might help:

http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/trans/GMControlledCouplingTrans/Chapter4/index.htm

It is one or two model years later than your '56, but should be essentially the same.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

CadillacRob

You think this would work?

https://youtu.be/27YCUMzKcfE

Also, how do you reinstall it?  Maybe a socket or pipe of the same diameter?  Thanks
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

Quote from: savemy67 on February 10, 2017, 07:18:39 PM
Hello Rob,

If you do not have a shop manual, this link might help:

http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/trans/GMControlledCouplingTrans/Chapter4/index.htm

It is one or two model years later than your '56, but should be essentially the same.

Christopher Winter

Thanks Chris.  It sure looks a little intimidating now! Haha.  Gomez is this basically what you did?
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

J. Gomez

Quote from: CadillacRob on February 10, 2017, 07:31:45 PM
You think this would work?

https://youtu.be/27YCUMzKcfE

Also, how do you reinstall it?  Maybe a socket or pipe of the same diameter?  Thanks

Rob,

The tool would need to clear the output shaft if the rear case is not removed when is inserted. Since the seal is going to be replace anyway it can be removed by alternative method non-technical ways..!   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Quote from: CadillacRob on February 10, 2017, 07:36:59 PM
Thanks Chris.  It sure looks a little intimidating now! Haha.  Gomez is this basically what you did?

Bob,

Yes, that manual and the 1956 Service Manual should give you the details you would need to tackle the job. Just remember to take lots pictures for reference and as I stated placing everything back as it was, since you are just doing the seals.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

CadillacRob

Yikes.  This will be the first transmission I ever take out.

Found the 56 manual online
http://www.cadillac1956.eu/shop%20manual/shop%20manual%2012-2.html
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

J. Gomez

Quote from: CadillacRob on February 10, 2017, 07:56:36 PM
Yikes.  This will be the first transmission I ever take out.

Found the 56 manual online
http://www.cadillac1956.eu/shop%20manual/shop%20manual%2012-2.html

Just make sure you take your vitamins before tackling the removal and the install..!  ;D  One option is to ask for volunteers with some offerings pizza and beer do magic in most cases.  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

CadillacRob

Certainly gives a lot of food for thought.  Looks like I might have to make some of my own tools for this job.  That kind of stuff is exciting, id just hate to get it all installed and have it either leak, or not leak but not function properly because it needs a real rebuild anyhow.....then I'd have wasted 100 bucks.  Such is life working on an old cadillac!  Dreaming of riding her down the road one day...
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

Curious, would a 62 hydramatic mate up to my 56 365 without mods?  There's a rebuilt one for sale online for 800
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville