News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 390 valve lifter help needed

Started by Petrolbowser, February 14, 2017, 01:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petrolbowser

Hello all just wondering if anyone can help? I recently brought a replacement set of valve lifters for my 1962 390 DeVille,my issue is the old ones in the car have an oil hole where the push rod sits and the new ones are blank the push rod sits fine in the new set.is it going to cause wear if there is no oil hole in them?. The push rods are solid.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Jared christie

Scot Minesinger

Jared,

Be careful, as replacement engine parts are often lower quality than original, as many have posted here.  The lower quality is in the metallurgy (not hardened with molten salt bathes and etc.) so they are softer and wear much more quickly.  Also I see surfaces that were machined on original to smooth surface and replacements not machined, just plain metal either cast or forged.  This can shorten the life of these components dramatically.

I bought replacement push rods for my 1970 Cadillac 472 with the holes in them from Maximum Torque Specialties, a highly valued vendor for this engine (Sorry they do not cover the 390 or 429 engine).  Hopefully there will be a source mentioned by a member here and you can either buy great used or high quality new.

If you have any question, as you did and posted here, I would not install what you have.  Search out the high quality replacement part.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Matt Innocenzi

Jared,

In supplement to what Scot suggested, the hole in the push rods for the 390 was an oil galley to lubricate the rocker arm shaft.  Besides the lower quality in materials, the new replacement unit you have will compromise the lubrication of the rocker arm shaft.  I would agree with Scot and not use them.

Push rods rarely go bad unless they are bent or otherwise out of true.  Can you reuse your push rods?  If you need a set, I probably have them laying around.

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

Chas

Egge Machine carries both lifters (part #VL5) and pushrods (#MPR-21) for your motor. They can be reached at 800-866-3443. In my very humble opinion, they carry the highest quality internal parts at a reasonable price.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!