News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Eureka Hearse Dash Bulb replacement

Started by rustytractor, February 16, 2017, 07:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

A quick question.....

To replace the dash bulbs (a job which I haven't yet completed) do you have to:

a) Have a head that's on a bendy stalk and a back that bends in 4 directions so you can see up under the dash to locate the bulbs ?
b) Have 14" long quadruple jointed fingers to get the bulbs out once located ?
c) Have tiny hands so you can see past them whilst bent double trying to get new bulbs back into the holders ?
d) Have the patience of a saint and no pain threshold whatsover to even attempt this job ?

Or is removing the dash pad a better way ?

Whoever designed this stuff really deserves a smack in the mouth !!!!
Too many cars - too little time !!

Thor

Hi Rusty:

Did that a few years ago..... many bulbs were out.

Disconnect the battery
Undo and lift the dash pad and use a 2x4 on it's side (3.5")
now you can mostly use your hands to pull the sockets one at a time.  Some are not easily seen, so you can use a mirror and flashlight whilst on the floor, or do it blind and use the Force.  I bought a kit that had all the bulbs in it, but have since bought all the 12v bulb types I could find just to have them.

Perhaps you can hire a skinny teen with thin hands?

The dash lights are the same as regular cars, except we have no trunk warning light..... always wanted to use the empty sockets for something else, but need to make a gel with a pattern on it...

Enjoy,
Randy Bergum
1960 Eureka Hearse-a-ma-cad

76eldo

If you bite the bullet and remove the pad and the cluster and take it apart and clean it and replace every bulb with what it called for you will have the best results.

It's an all day job to say the least and it would be best to have a helper.

Observe everything listed in the factory service manual.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)