News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Thinking of buying CT6

Started by LenInLA, February 19, 2017, 03:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

My beloved Bentley was declared a total loss by the greedy insurance company, so I'm in the market for a new car. I'm torn between Lexus LS460 and the new Cadillac CT6. My patriotic gene suggests a Cadillac. Plus it's available in emerald green which will match my green 76 Eldorado.

Any opinions on the new Caddy? The 6 cylinder engine worries me - even though with the twin turbos it packs 400 hp.

Leonard Grayver

TonyZappone #2624

I have 10,000 miles on my 2016 Platinum Series.  Single turbine goes like the wind.  Quality control is fantastic, vat dyed leather, everything is great.  I can't picture anyone use to driving a normal luxury car needing or wanting the Twin Turbine.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

The Tassie Devil(le)

I once drove a Mitsubishi 3000GT with the twin turbos, and boy, it had some grunt.

If the Cadillac turbos are tuned the same as the Mitsubishi, as in coming in at different power requirements, then you will be very happy.

But, not really needed for every-day driving.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Schuman

Leonard,
My 2017 CT6Premium Luxury 3.0 Twin Turbo is about equal in power to the 2005 CTS-V I had, and has the ride and comfort I expect from a Cadillac. It now has 4500 miles on it and there are only two things I dislike-the engine and the transmission. The first to second gear shift of the transmission is erratic, unpredictable, and sometimes very jolting , sometimes glass-smooth like the other shifts. This is despite complaints to Cadillac Customer Relations and two efforts by my very good dealer to reprogram as instructed by Cadillac. The 1953 Hydra-Matic in my 1949 Cadillac, a transmission never known for smooth shifts, is much smoother than the 8L90 eight speed in my CT6.

The engine power is impressive, but when using even moderate acceleration it growls totally out of character for a so-called flagship model. Also, the throttle programming is not linear, so that a little throttle will give a little acceleration, then a LITTLE more throttle gives a LOT more acceleration, creating an unpleasant surge, more than I think it should do.

I have ridden in a friend's 2017 CT6 with the 3.6 non-turbo engine and accompanying lighter duty 8L45 eight speed transmission, which is a much smoother and quieter, although less powerful, car. I also frequently drive a 2015 Buick LaCrosse, and immediately notice how much quieter its engine is and how much more unobtrusive its six speed automatic is.

This CT6 is my fifth new daily driver Cadillac, and very likely will be my last if Cadillac does not acknowledge and provide a satisfactory fix for the unpleasant transmission action.

Bob Schuman

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Scot Minesinger

Lenard,

I would test drive them both.  See which you like better.  My first priority in buying a new car is the look, and second is drivetrain.  Have always and in future plan to not buy anything but RWD V-8.  However, it seems like V-8's are on the way out and may have to go with a 6 some day.

I think about 325 hp is about all the power you need in a 4,000lb sedan.  My wife's 2014 Chrysler 300 w/hemi and 363 hp is either all on or all off on the power (not great V-4 to V-8 control) and the power just cannot be used in everyday driving.  Whereas my 2006 Dodge Hemi with 340hp seems just about right.

BTW the Cadillac looks way better than the Lexus.

Bob,

How long do you keep a daily driver, you mentioned this was your 5th daily driver Cadillac? 

All,

The more I read seems like the 3.6 V-6 most folks are happy with.  Wonder if the CT6 will ever have a V-8 as forecasted - I guess Cadillac cannot say or it would hurt present sales and people would delay and buy the V-8.  Wonder what the "Cadillac Flagship that is not a four door sedan" will be?  Hope it is a true comfortable for all four passengers convertible RWD w/V-8.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on February 19, 2017, 09:23:32 PM
Wonder what the "Cadillac Flagship that is not a four door sedan" will be?  Hope it is a true comfortable for all four passengers convertible RWD w/V-8.

My guess has been something along the lines of an Audi R8 sports car but there's been no hint from Cadillac.  A sports coupe and/or convertible would at least be different and Cadillac's sedans just aren't moving in this market.  Crossovers and SUVs are where the growth has been here but hopefully it won't be one of those.  I don't think it will as Escalade will likely remain the flagship SUV.

At this pace, it may not be long until more new Cadillacs are sold in China than in the United States.  Meanwhile, Americans have been gobbling up Mercedes and other luxury imports at or near record levels.

Bob Schuman

In reply to Scot's question, my first Cadillac daily driver was a new 2005 STS Northstar V8 sedan, an early production model. Despite being a totally new car, new body, new rear drive chassis with new five speed automatic and redesigned engine for the first rear drive Northstar sedan, Cadillac got everything right on that car right out of the box. For eight years it was a reliable and pleasureable car to drive. Possibly one of Cadillac's best ever cars.

Next was a 2005 CTS-V purchased in 2007, driven for  five enjoyable fun years, another good car.

The CTS-V was traded for a new 2013 ATS 3.6, a great car for what it was, but lacked the room and comfort I want, not a good choice for me.

After selling the 2005 STS and not being happy with the ATS as my only modern car, it was replaced by a new 2014 XTS V-Sport. That was a comfortable, powerful, troublefree car, but with a stiff ride I attributed to the 20 inch wheels and Magnetic Ride Control. Not in the same class as the 2005 STS.

Reading the articles and media road tests of the forthcoming CT6 I was convinced I should have one, so the XTS was traded for a CT6 with the 3.0 Twin Turbo engine. Its ride is much more "Cadillac-like" than the XTS, but its shortcomings in my experience, as I previously wrote, are significant. I suspect Cadillac did not do sufficient development, and maybe those who drove the pilot models only used idle and full throttle, nothing like normal town driving.

For a really enjoyable Cadillac ride, I can always drive the 41, 49, or 51 on nice days.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

35-709

"For a really enjoyable Cadillac ride, I can always drive the 41, 49, or 51 on nice days."

And that tells the tale right there!   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

denniscaddy

I ordered a CT6 on Dec. 19, it was built on Feb. 20.  Don't know how long before it gets to the dealer.  Since they only sold 634 CT6's in January, I wonder what the factory has been doing...working part-time?

It is the premium luxury, 3.6, all the bells and whistles except Active Chassis, emerald green.  About $74K.  Trading in my 2011 CTS Coupe, which I love.

It has been a long wait, but nothing (yet) like Tony's wait.

Looking forward to getting it.  I'll let you all know how I like it after a while.  It has the potential to be a great Cadillac.

Dennis
CLC 3676
1941 Fleetwood 60S
2017 CT6

TonyZappone #2624

Dennis:  I had my car striped by a striper outside of the dealership.  They tend to stripe them too high, to near the top chrome strip.  If you are going to have yours done, let me know and I will send a picture of mine
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: denniscaddy on February 22, 2017, 09:49:56 AM
Since they only sold 634 CT6's in January, I wonder what the factory has been doing...working part-time?

Although the CT6 isn't seeing great numbers, January @ 634 was an especially bad month.  The prior five months were each over 1,100.   Hopefully things will improve going forward.

cowboyman

I would go definitely for Lexus, it's luxury, it's comfortable. Moreover, Lexus LS460 seems to have good features as four-zone climate control, audio controls, power-adjustable outboard rear seats with memory. the price on the market seems reasonable. This was my fourth Lexus and is the best-used car on the road. It's up to you what you choose, comfort or luxury or whatever. It's just my opinion, that's how I get this car and insured it to the most reliable company. BTW, if you don't have enough money to spend to buy one of these cars, you can get a loan, as I did with the my sixth Lexus. So, think about if you will get a used one car new. I can help you with choosing the best car finance, so check the link below to read more information about it.

https://www.moneyexpert.com/car-finance/

TonyZappone #2624

Just looking at the Lexus makes me barf.  I don't say don't  buy imported, but when a great car like the CT6 is available, why would you buy Japanese?
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

scotth3886

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on June 29, 2020, 12:41:32 PM
Just looking at the Lexus makes me barf.  I don't say don't  buy imported, but when a great car like the CT6 is available, why would you buy Japanese?

Where's the 'like' button when we need one?

Given that the thread is about the CT6, I think a few of these are still available

https://youtu.be/nCQZPkquveM

amarzano

I’m sure everyone knows that the CT6 production has ended. I really was interested in one, but didn’t want to buy a care with limited resale because it ended production. 😟
1976 Eldorado Convertible - Labor of Love