News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

69 Fleetwood, leak into trunk

Started by CADEE, February 20, 2017, 01:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CADEE

My 69 Fleetwood seems to have a leak into the trunk. It seems to be coming in from the front of the trunk, nearest the rear window. The weatherstripping is in great shape around the trunk, so I'm thinking it is comin g from the rear window directly into the trunk somehow.
Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what can be done to fix it.
Thank you. Brad.
Brad.
1962 Series 62 Convertible.
1969 Fleetwood Brougham

Greg Powers

Unfortunately this is often one of the pitfalls of a vinyl top, though I would never own a Fleetwood without one. If water gets under the vinyl, it will with time rust around the base of the rear window. Before you tear into anything, find someone who is not claustrophobic and close them in the trunk with a powerful flash light. Take a garden hose with minimal water pressure and let the water run down from the top of the rear window. The person inside the trunk can look for any leaks and mark the location with a yellow wax marking stick. Once you locate the leak, then you can begin to address the source of the problem. Good Luck.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

35-709

"Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what can be done to fix it."

Just about everyone has this problem, a common GM flaw for years.  The fix?  Remove the back window, hopefully the vinyl top can be saved if you are careful when peeling it back and it is not too brittle.  You will no doubt find a good deal of rust under the stainless trim and the vinyl.  Anyplace you have "bubbles" under your vinyl top (especially around the rear window) you will find rust.  This is also the source of your leak.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

CADEE

Ok thank you all for the information. Ill try to find someone, hey maybe I'll put my kid in the trunk, and he can see where its leaking.
Thank you again.
Brad.
Brad.
1962 Series 62 Convertible.
1969 Fleetwood Brougham

ithaca1230

I have a 1974 fleetwood with the same issue. Waiting for better weather to get car out of storage and get this fixed.