News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

65 Convertible heater not really working

Started by nick.stratta, February 20, 2017, 07:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick.stratta

Hello all,
Going to dive into why my heater on my '65 (non-air) convertible isn't really working. I get some heat but it's not great. And I've no control over distribution or temp.
Had a look through my FSM (thanks for the reminder Scott) and it seems either the cables; My upper (distribution) lever is jammed. The lower (heat) one moves but does nothing and doesn't feel connected to anything. Where can I get the Bowden cables please - I haven't found them on line.
Will do a flow check on the heater core and replace or rebuild for peace of mind - as luck would have it I bought 2 heater cores for the '68 and it seems to fit the '65 too.
Blower motor works fine.
What else could it be please? Vacuum switch? At $30 or so it seems a sensible replace.
Thanks Nick
regards & thanks Nick
CLC 23023, CLCMRC Museum benefactor 113

Chuck Swanson

Nick, are you heater core outlets on different sides of the core along the diagonal, or same side?   If diagonal, you know where to buy? 

I have seen new AC Bowden cables, but not the non-ac new, so hopefully someone can chime in.

Thanks, Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Scot Minesinger

For used non-a/c cables I would try used Cadillac parts sellers Willington CAD in CT (Jeff), Cadillac Tim in Iva, SC, Cadillac King, or Cadillacs only in CA.  If the fan turns on then your vacuum switch (some call it a steam boat) works and a spare might be a good idea.  You know how it is, but a spare when you don't need it and it is 30% the price of when you do.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

nick.stratta

Thanks Chuck & Scott. I'll check this weekend when I can get to the car. 
regards, Nick
regards & thanks Nick
CLC 23023, CLCMRC Museum benefactor 113