News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How much does at '46 346 engine weigh?

Started by boothandco, February 20, 2017, 10:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boothandco

I am looking for information on how much a complete 2nd gen 346 weighs.  I am shopping for an engine stand.  C. Booth
Chad Booth

Current:
1937 Series 75
1999 Fleetwood Limited
1976 GMC Motorhome
Previous:
1989 Sixty Special
Reformed Lincoln 4 door convertible owner.
boothandco@sisna.com

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would be settling for nothing less than a 1,000Lb capacity stand.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tom Beaver

This is a number I found somewhere don't know if it is exactly accurate: Total engine dry 886.9 lbs, without starter,generator, fuel pump or carburetor.  You could also search for this previous post on engine stands.  "Proper engine stand for '37-'48 flathead V8"

Tom Beaver

Bobby B

Chad,
Hi. I used the 2000 lb. Heavy Duty Pittsburgh stand from HF. I didn't put the heads, intake, etc. on until it was back in the car. There was no advantage to doing it that way anyway, plus it took a big strain off the 2 ton engine hoist. It also made it a lot easier to install (balance wise), when sliding it into place with the Trans hooked up. It's difficult enough to spin the short block around on the stand once the crank, rods, pistons, cam, valve train, etc. are in place. You really have to hold onto it and muscle it around gingerly on the stand. It's a Mutha...I think once it's completely assembled, it weighs a little over 1300 lbs. with the Trans.  :o
                                                                                                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

boothandco

thanks Bobby!  That is the one I was kind of looking at.  I was also going to get the 4  ton crane and I wasn't sure I could get the engine off the crane and hooked up to the stand with the legs of the stand such as they are.
Chad Booth

Current:
1937 Series 75
1999 Fleetwood Limited
1976 GMC Motorhome
Previous:
1989 Sixty Special
Reformed Lincoln 4 door convertible owner.
boothandco@sisna.com

Bobby B

Quote from: boothandco on February 21, 2017, 01:19:17 AM
thanks Bobby!  That is the one I was kind of looking at.  I was also going to get the 4  ton crane and I wasn't sure I could get the engine off the crane and hooked up to the stand with the legs of the stand such as they are.

You're correct....I had to wrestle it on/off my crane between the legs, but you only do that once. You can do it, but it's easier with two people  to maneuver it on/off. I actually used the 4 ton crane on that one, not the 2 ton. Make sure you use GRADE 8 bolts to hold it on. Good Luck!
                                                                                                                                                                                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have passed this suggestion on before. Before you do anything "heavy" that might, however inconceiveable, result in grave bodily harm, have your wife or a friend in the garage with you with a cell phone in their hand. Best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

z3skybolt

All I can say is when I shipped my 346 to be overhaul total weight at the shipper with completed engine and all components plus the shipping crate....it weighed 1,052 lbs. I'd knock of maybe 150 lbs for the sturdy crate. One heavy hunk of iron!
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.