News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

No-Rol cylinder rebuild

Started by Ed Metzler, February 28, 2017, 10:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Metzler

Anyone know possible source of rebuild kit or replacement for badly leaking "NO-ROL" cylinder in the brake system of my 1940 LaSalle?  The casting info on the cylinder is "Wagner FD 3091".  Guess I can always bypass it and live without this hill-holder feature, but it has worked beautifully for years and I hate to lose this function. 
Ed Metzler
1940 La Salle 5027 Coupe

Bob Schuman

Ed,
Look at Studebaker websites such as Studebaker Drivers Club, also Studebaker parts vendors. The No-Rol was an option on many cars , with Studebaker the largest user starting in 1936 and extending to nearly the last Studes.

I had a No-Rol on my 41 Cadillac and rebuilt it several times, always having to buy a complete cylinder (I think they called it a Control Valve) because I never found any repair kits. I'm pretty sure the internals were the same for most years and models, the mounting and connections being car and model specific, but that does not matter since you only need the internal parts for a rebuild. The large screwed end cap and the small cap holding the control shaft both use copper gaskets like big spark plug gaskets. The control shaft has a rubber seal around it. The internal parts are simple, an easy rebuild job.

If any vendor rebuilds No-Rols I am unaware of that.

Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Jay Friedman

I remember that feature on Studebakers back in the day.  (Yes, I'm that old.)

I drove a modern VW Passat recently, which has a modern version of the same thing in the clutch mechanism with a different name, and which VW touts as an innovation.  I occasionally have to tell people who are not old cars nuts that automotive gadgetry goes back a long way when they marvel over this or that gizmo on an old car. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dan LeBlanc

I have a VW CC. The auto hold feature I believe is done through the electric parking brake - not that I actually use it. I find it a nuisance on the CC and have it set to always off.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Ed Metzler

Thanks, Bob Shuman, for the advice.  The hill holder is one of the favorite topics on the Studebaker sites - hoping I can track down some repair parts.
Ed Metzler
1940 La Salle 5027 Coupe