News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 NEW Power Boost,,,,,,,YES STILL NO BRAKES

Started by 60eldo, March 01, 2017, 02:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Im looking to change from hydrvac to a new booster M/C for drum brakes. Does anyone make one for a 57, like a conversion kit.
Jon. Klu

gary griffin

I faced this problem a couple of years ago and wanted to have a dual master cylinder but could not find a conversion so I had the Hydravac and master cylinder rebuilt. 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Glen Camenzuli

I rebuilt my Bendix Treadlevac and booster too. It was cheaper than going down the conversion road although I did do the work myself. I have attached a couple of photos showing the before and after.
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville #13

60eldo

Ya I did the same thing and added new wheel cyls and hoses, and still no brakes, Im sure some of you remember this thread from last year. I dont know what to do so I was thinking of using a different booster, I just dont know which one to go with. Most boosters NEW,, use disc brakes for front. I dont want to do that
Jon. Klu

gene harl

I would send the hole thing to boostery dewey in portland or.  ... be back in couple days and at resalable cost......
Gene Harl                  CLC22406

60eldo

Never heard of these guys gene. Have you used them? And what did they do for you. Ive heard of Ed Strain only.
Jon. Klu

Glen Camenzuli

1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville #13

D.Yaros

Booster Dewey's reputation is such that he is a  "go to" source for these repairs, from what I understand.

That said, the guy I used and was more than satisfied with in terms of communication, quality of work, turn around time and price was -
http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/boosterrebuilding.htm

I recommend him without hesitation or reservation. 
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

60eldo

Thanks guys, maybe I didnt make myself clear. I have a rebuillt booster hydrovac, M/C and wheel cyls. all installed but I still have NO BRAKES. So I was thinking of going to a New booster with master that will fit 4 wheel drum brakes. For a 1957 cadillac. What you guys are showing me is places I can get my stuff rebuilt. But thanks
Jon. Klu

Walter Youshock

Have you tried hooking the hydraulic line from the master directly to the brake line distributor on the frame, bypassing the booster?  I can't understand how there are no brakes at all.

Have you taken it to a mechanic?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

gene harl

Booster Dewey's # 503- 238-8882.... call him , see what he say is wrong .. I have one of his booster on my 59 , works great....
  Gene Harl

60eldo

Jon. Klu

gary griffin

No brakes?  My first thought is corrosion in the brake lines preventing brake fluid movement?  We all forget the every time we use our brakes we are bringing a small amount of the atmosphere into the system and after a while it can accumulate and rust enough to block the lines. Bigger problem in humid areas of course, but all atmosphere has some H2-O in it.  I once had a Triumph Stag and the wheel cylinders are installed at a tilted angle. Needed regular bleeding and still rusted in the low section of the wheel cylinder.  Parking on an incline regularly could also cause this problem.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

David King (kz78hy)

I have used Midwest Power Products with good success.  They have about anything for brakes.

http://www.midwestbooster.com

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

CadillacRob

Quote from: 60eldo on March 02, 2017, 01:16:51 PM
    Thanks guys, maybe I didnt make myself clear. I have a rebuillt booster hydrovac, M/C and wheel cyls. all installed but I still have NO BRAKES. So I was thinking of going to a New booster with master that will fit 4 wheel drum brakes. For a 1957 cadillac. What you guys are showing me is places I can get my stuff rebuilt. But thanks

Put your foot on the brake pedal.  Start the car.  Does the pedal drop a little or stay stiff?  If it does not drop, your booster is potentially bad.  I just went through this on my 56 using an aftermarket corvette style dual MC and booster.  Ended up that the hard vacuum line off the intake manifold for the booster was clogged with mud daubers!

Outside of that, make sure you bleed them all really, really well.  Make sure your shoes are adjusted outward enough so the wheel just scrubs a little when you rotate it (jacked up).

If you are not getting good fluid movement when you bleed the brakes, your MC might be defective or need adjustment.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

60eldo

Funny you should say that about the pedal. When I tryed that holding the pedal down and starting the car, the pedal actually rose about 1/2 in.  Weird right? Why would it do that.
Jon. Klu

Walter Youshock

Again and again--the 1957 system is identical to 1955 and earlier.  It has NOTHING IN COMMON with 1956 or 1958 as those systems were treble vacs.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CadillacRob

Quote from: 60eldo on March 08, 2017, 02:45:36 PM
   Funny you should say that about the pedal. When I tryed that holding the pedal down and starting the car, the pedal actually rose about 1/2 in.  Weird right? Why would it do that.

Yeah thats weird for sure.  Get out there with a buddy and bleed the hell out of them (car off, doesnt need to be running).  You know, start passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front.  Leave cap off MC and make sure it never runs out of fluid. 

Now I'm not familiar with the 57 setup, but, assuming its the same situation as most, did you bench bleed the MC prior to installation?  It sure seems like theres an air bubble in there somewhere.

If THAT doesnt solve it, I believe your booster/MC is suspect.

edit: get under there with a good flashlight and inspect every brake line joint.  Junction blocks, hoses, wheel cylinders.  Make sure theyre bone dry.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

60eldo

Rob thanks for advice, ya I did bench bleed M/C and booster, all is newly rebuilt. I think ur right about bleeding the  out of the lines. Still cold here in Canada so I will wait a bit. If all fails, I just found at Caddy daddy a new booster with M/C for a 1957 with 4 wheel drums for 900.00, I will try that if all else fails. Anyone ever do business with these guys?
Jon. Klu

TJ Hopland

Is the MC part on the 57 like the treadlevac ones?   Can you separate it from the booster section and manually actuate it to at least find out if are able to build pressure in the system?   Just thinking if that is possible that may help isolate if the issue is in the MC section or some combination of the booster and MC. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason