News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Source for rubber exhaust hanger

Started by camelot, March 02, 2017, 06:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camelot

Does anyone know a source for the 2 exhaust pipe hanger mounts that are behind the plate on the drivers side  chassis on the 75 series.? It is rectangular rubber piece with a round area in the center which I assume protrudes thru the frame. I've tried the usual suppliers like Steele but they seem to list a grommet which I believe is wrong. Just plain neoprene doesn't provide enough support. I've ordered some cloth reinforced rubber sheeting which I think will support it but would like an actual replacement if possible. Have no idea what the durometer should be.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

The Tassie Devil(le)

One of the best sources for heavy duty rubber insertion is old conveyor belting.

It comes in different thicknesses, and I have used it extensively for exhaust hangers.

All one needs is a very sharp knife, and a hole punch.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

camelot

The very old rubber in there now didn't seem to be reinforced and sagged to the point the pipe laid on the frame as it passed thru to resonator. I'm going to double up the 1/4 inch belting I ordered. Over the years the system hangers were changed. I'm trying to get it back to original. Lots of fabricating to do. Thanks for the reply.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

David Greenburg

I have also seen rubber hangers "duplicated" from pieces of old tires.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

bcroe

A piece hanging straight down will tend to transmit a lot of vibration.  You need
some kind of loop that can "give" more.  Bruce Roe

Tom Boehm

Hello Alex, I recognize that part from my 1940 Lasalle. I got it at Steele. It was over 10 years ago however.   Tom Boehm

Tom Boehm

Hello Again Alex, I looked on Steeles website. PART NUMBER  70-0626-13   exhaust system hanger.  Also PART NUMBER 70-0600-13 exhaust system hanger. Are these what you are looking for?   

camelot

Thanks Tom, I think I might need that one for the rear. I went back and looked in the MPL (pg 373, #9.0304, of chassis MPL) and it looks like it's just a plain piece of reinforced rubber (the non stranded neoprene I tried sagged badly) . Not too easy finding 1/2 thick ,so I'm going to double up 1/4". Should work.  I'm waiting to hear back on my order. Thanks for the help guys! Your the best!
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w