News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My fleetwoods

Started by William65 CLC#30475, March 03, 2017, 11:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William65 CLC#30475

Thought id share some pictures, one of these I rebuilt the front end after it was in a accident with previous owner..
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1994 Fleetwood brougham
and many others in the past..
Chris..

Brent Hladky #21519

Thanks for the post... I LOVE these big "old" Cadillacs!!  Today we have the huge Escalade, but why can't we see the return of big sedan?

William65 CLC#30475

This so true indeed!! well they brought back the Chevy Camaro, the Ford Bronco, and a few others why cant they do the same with these??

Why is it so different is GM to cheap to take this task on with this particular Cadillac??

I would have as many of these that property would hold if I hade it my way

Chris..
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1994 Fleetwood brougham
Chris..

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Brent Hladky #21519 on March 04, 2017, 01:40:42 AM
Thanks for the post... I LOVE these big "old" Cadillacs!!  Today we have the huge Escalade, but why can't we see the return of big sedan?

I know right? Sadly there isn't a market for these massive cars anymore out on the mainstream. At the same time, GM didn't invest much into these particular years to compete with the Town Cars of the same era so the Fleets got outsold by Town Cars. The Devilles, on the other hand, were far more advanced in technology than the Fleetwoods and did well against the Townies especially with the Northstar engine concourse models when it first came out.

I do not know why anyone would rather own a 90's Town Car over a Fleetwood, my guess is because the Town Car was more modern than the Fleets, and Lincoln offered better interior trim options compared to the Fleetwood Bro models. After sitting and riding in a 95 TC Cartier years ago, the seats in the Cartier trimmed TC was so soft and plush feeling, it made my Fleetwood Bro seats feel generic and firm-riding in comparison.The Fords 4.6 is a great engine, it's extremely smooth and reliable although it lacks brute force power of the LT1 powered Fleets.

But even with the modern informative dash of the 90's TC's and engine vs the Fleets, the TC's still felt smaller inside, cheaper feeling, and super lightweight for such a big car. The Fleets feel like a tank while driving, you feel it's weight and the doors are pretty heavy for a modernish car. The TC's doors are extremely light when opening and closing, just not a luxury car feeling you'd expect for a full sizer.

The ride of both models differ from each other the TC's float, the Fleetwoods are planted to the ground and isn't as soft riding, the Fleets absorbs bumps and pot holes better than the TC's, due to it's heavier curb weight and longer wheelbase, and probably better body construction.

I wish Cadillac still built the Fleets as well, but to build something as large as the 93-96 Fleets today, it would cost too much money for Cadillac. The CT6 is a good effort, but they still need a car that is truly on the same level as an extended wheelbase version S-class Benz. S-classes are so nice inside and have a ton of legroom in the big wheelbase model. Cadillac doesn't want to invest into a bigger car. They're waiting on how well the CT6 sales in the coming years then possibly will try to go toe to toe with the BMW and Mercedes flagships.

BTW the repair looks great Chris! I am surprised you were able to find an entire front end for these cars. I hardly see them at junkyards where I live anymore to pick parts off from.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

William65 CLC#30475

Well the parts on that rebuild I did still have to be touched up a bit and adjusted ya know fine tuned, I know I'm not going to get them factory perfect but in the official Cadillac repair manual I do have all the specs on panel spacing. So we will get them as close as possible, the reason I was able to get the parts for this 94 chassis is I had another base Fleetwood that I took parts off of, same color code and the same D body spec so.

I know I'm not going to give up on these full size Fleetwood's!! no way it has to be a sentimental thing with me, my dad had a few of these Fleetwood's among others and swore by them. It was one of the 1st big cars I drove along with the older Deville's.

Well members in my opinion you can never ever replace what joy these Big American cars bring to there owners even to this day.

The warm weather is coming and my 93 FW is ready to drive, with the 94 FW not to far behind it I love these cars!!   
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1994 Fleetwood brougham
Chris..

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Brent Hladky #21519 on March 04, 2017, 01:40:42 AM

Because the escalade / excessive is a TRUCK and they do not have the same fuel economy requirements as cars!!!

That's why these trucks / suvs whatever you want to call them can be made - MUCH looser fuel economy and emissions requirements.

SUV:
Surbaban
Uhttack
Vehicle

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Walter Youshock

Some people get it and some dont...

You have your choice of monster truck, moving van or a "luxury car" about the size of a Honda civic or accord with about the same exciting color options.  Nothing in between like a true FULL SIZE AUTOMOBILE... 

Every time I drive the Brougham, I hate knowing I have to go back to the buick to preserve the Cadillac...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham