News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 FLEETWOOD AT LAST!

Started by wrefakis, March 04, 2017, 02:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrefakis

Have you ever thought back to moment you became infected?
For me it was a cold day in October 1969,when on my way to meet friends I stopped to admire a brand new triple black 1970 Fleetwood.
I had already developed a reputation for loving Cadillac,
at a time when muscle cars were the hot numbers.
A buddy of mine saw me in a car trance and come over to bust them a little.

Nice Caddy, bet you would love to have it.
Noticed he had a set of car keys, still teasing me he waved then I'm my face.  Cadillac keys!
5 minutes later I pulled out onto the street in that car and for the first time actually drove a new 472 running on correct hi test fuel, from that moment on, had to have them.

As this was 1969 I could actually plan my hike to school as to see the most Cadillacs on the route.
70 Fleetwood silver red leather vouges, etc loved them

in 1972 I ended up starting in the car business working in nyc at the factory dealership of the Checker cab
there was a leasing company next door had a Lucerne firemist double white 70 Fleetwood 22k miles, what a site! 4495$ was a million at the time, but looking was free!

That summer right at my 18 birthday ,I was now the used car manager! driving a decent 68 sedan deville
Got a call to come up to the showroom to look at a trade in.

70 FLEETWOOD SAN MATEO RED FACTORY SUN ROOF EVERY OPTION VOUGE TIRES!!
to this day I have never seen a Cadillac that hit me like that one did
owner wanted even trade for Checker at $ 4250 my net worth on a good day 3500. Lost it!!

2 years later while out in nyc I stopped at a light, looked to my left and froze. When I could not take it he painted it yellow and made it a cab!
Never been the same since
Finally now have gone full circle with this black one I have just acquired ,still with the original selling new car dealer inspection expiring in 1973
so fans there you have it, from that day in 72 to today I still try to find low mile originals to preserve after loosing that red one!

wrefakis

new onw

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I have to confess 69/70 Fleetwoods starting to grow on me. Only caveat - they gotta be black. Check.

May I ask what's the rest of the story with this one?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Just finished a 60 mile trip in my 1970 SDV hardtop with 37k miles and all mechanics 100%.  Drives like a new car, sometimes while driving, I forget it is a 47 year old car and think of it as a modern car.  The 1970 Fleetwood has a lower rear diff ratio (3.15 as opposed to 2.93), longer wheel base and a B pillar so it probably is a more solid and slightly better ride, but the SDV is not too bad. 

The 1969/70 Fleetwoods are super elegant, powerful and beyond cool.  My dream would be a no vinyl roof leather interior (want the brougham package - just no vinyl roof), tilt in probably any color except tan or green. Someday.  Large sedans, it is what the world really wants!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

wrefakis

18,300 mile untouched no paintwork freaky mint

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Good for you.
It's nice when a dream comes true.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Dan LeBlanc

I wasn't all that fond of anything past 1966 for the longest time. Then the 67-70's grew on me and now I have a 1970 convertible in my garage. They are wonderful riding comfortable cars. You'll enjoy it immensely.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

Congratulations on the car!  If only there were a modern equivalent.

I remember back around 1972 or '73, my aunt and uncle traded their sheffield gray '68 sedan deville on a goldsh 1969 sedan deville.  Neither one of them liked it at all
  My aunt was 5" 2' and had trouble seeing out of the car because of the seats.

It was quickly traded on a '71 sedan deville...  and that car was another story.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Scot Minesinger

Funny about your aunt.  If I had one minor complaint about my 1970 SDV it is that the seat is a little too high, and I'm 5'-9".  It is difficult to please everyone with one car.  1970 is a wonderful year for Cadillac, along with many others.  My Grandmother owned a 1967 and 1973 SDV and had no trouble seeing over the hood.  However, she should have ordered the dual comfort seats, as there was no legroom if you sat up front.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Mine was a junker. A friend literally pulled it from a junkyard. Had primered front fenders and the usual Indiana rustout on the lower rear of the front fenders. It was the brighter blue with a white top I think. The fabric interior was great except it spotted when it rained. Drove it for a couple of years until the bushings went out in the front end. Fantastic road car even with the things wrong with it. Oh,, it was a Fleetwood...

(I had two kids in college at the time.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

76eldo

Bill

Congrats. The car sounds fantastic!
Couldn't be in better hands. Enjoy.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 04, 2017, 06:49:55 PM
Snip... If I had one minor complaint about my 1970 SDV it is that the seat is a little too high ...snip

I'm 6'4 and notice the inside rear view mirror blocks my vision of the road when looking towards the right to make left turns.  I just thought the mirror was too low.  Also, in order to see the speedometer while driving, I have to have the wheel in the full up tilt position or else the wheel blocks my view.

Hadn't considered the seat to be to high, but given my two issues, you may be right. 

And congrats on the acquisition.  I am always eyeing '70 cads on ebay, recently there was a Fleetwood 75 that sold for around $16k, that was a cool unit.  I don't have the funds or space for another collector car though, but it's fun to look.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

WhiteCaddy70

I have 2 70 Caddy's and I agree with all. Great drivers, smooth performance, as good as it gets. I wish more Caddy lovers could experience driving one. On E-Bay, there's a 70 CDV for sale with 18000 miles, the owner claiming it's the most original 70 in the country, but has a repaint! Why would you repaint the most original Caddy? Amazing.
Doug
Doug Brinson

Rich S

Congratulations, Bill! The 1970 model year is my favorite, too. The styling, features, colors and ride are hard to beat! It would be great to see a few more pictures (including that elegant interior)!  8)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

jagbuxx #12944

Congrats on that '70 Fleetwood! My first collector car was also a '70 Fleetwood, black with Biege leather. Sold new at Hillcrest Motor Co. It only had 41,000 miles. What an incredible car. I kept it for a couple of years but sold it to get a Corvette. I enjoy the '70 convertible I have now. Good luck!
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Bill Balkie 24172

I got infected back in 1973 . ! was 21 years old and drove a 1972 Vega G.T. for about 6 months . Then the gas shortage started . Every body was unloading big luxury cars . i went the other way sold the Vega and purchased a 1970 cpe Deville from a private seller .  It had 30,000 miles  and he was asking 1900.00 . to this day it was the best car i have ever owned .  Good Looking ,Fast , powerful , Safe and very dependable .In my opinion the best Cadillac ever made .

Good Luck,
       Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

64\/54Cadillacking

I also love the 69-70 Cadillacs mainly for their exterior styling. They are just so beastly and sexy looking.

The grill and front end are very stylish, the car's stature is very mature and manly, handsome cars. It has this "don't mess with me" look going on too. 8)

I prefer the 66 Fleetwoods for the interior styling, chrome trim, and pull-down trays which are very luxurious and Rolls Royce Phantom esque, but I admire the 69-70 models just as much.

Honestly, if I was rich, I would just buy as many 66-70 Fleetwoods as I could and restore them to their former glory, rather than purchasing a new Rolls Phantom, or other new big luxury cars that lack the styling, interior space, and road hogging presence.

Now something like this I'd rather fix up and drive if I was super rich than a Bently, Rolls or an S-Class.

Not a 69-70 Cad, but since we are talking about Fleetwoods, this is Kid Rocks custom 75 Cadillac Fleetwood Limo that Westcoast Customs did for him! Now everyone's tastes are different, but I can't help but to love the black and gold trim and the respect I give to someone as famous as Kid Rock to rather cruise in a cool custom classic than something new. So much went into this build, he had a custom built ventilation system installed in the rear seat so when he smokes cigars, it sucks out the smoke! if you guys have the channel "Velocity" to watch I recommend checking the show out and watching the episode they did for the car. The process was incredible, they completely stripped the entire car down, and gutted the interior, but the finished results are amazing.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Well it sounds like it found the right home.

How's she equipped Bill?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

wrefakis

no clue who kid rock is ,but I did own plenty of Superfly cars in the early 70,s built by Dunham coach

the Fleetwood is well optioned tilt stereo and so on no cruise

Rich S

What is the interior? (Leather or brocade cloth or other cloth?)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe