News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Will a 64 deville rear end fit in a 60 coupe?

Started by Bleuer03, March 05, 2017, 06:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bleuer03

Hi I'm new to the group so I don't know if this has been asked before. I have a 1960 series 62 coupe that I'm starting to have rotational noises coming from the rear end and a leaking pinion seal. I pulled the drive shaft and checked the carrier bearing and everything looked and felt good. I'm contemplating just pulling the rear end out of the car to paint it and rebuild it. I also have a few 64 caddys and one is a parts car that I was wondering if a rear end out of one of them would be a direct fit? I would rather pull a rear end out of the parts car and completely rebuild it and swap it when it's complete so my 60 isn't inoperable for a few weeks. I've seen people advertise axles for a 57-64. I'm just not sure if the housing is compatible. Thanks Ryan

dadscad

The rear axle gasket is the same for 60 & 64, so the differential should fit the axle housing ok. The pinion flange may not be the same and the axle splines may not be the same so they may need to be swapped out, if the spline count matches. Your noise may be the axle bearings and not the differential.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Dan LeBlanc

Just keep in mind that the differential itself is not serviceable.  They cannot be repaired.  About all you can do with these rear ends is change seals and bearings. 

Shop manual indicated that repair was not possible on the differential - in the event of repair, it was to be exchanged with a new one.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car