News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

air pump

Started by Canuck, March 08, 2017, 09:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

Gents,
Can any one tell me how to plug the holes in the heads after I remove the tubes from the air pump?

35-709

MTS sells them --- www.500cid.com   

http://www.500cid.com/_p/prd1/3507002691/product/a.i.r.-cup-plug

Could probably get them at NAPA, etc. if you knew the right size --- someone here no doubt knows.
About the size of a penny, as a matter of fact I have heard of pennies being used but I would rather the correct plug.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Canuck

Thank you for the info. it is just what I was looking for

Canuck

Can anyone out there tell me what size plug I need? I have a 1973 Eldorado. I'm trying to fit a HEI dist. in to it. I'll need to remove the

pipes going into the cylinder head. I'll leave the pump in place.

Scot Minesinger

MTS (Maximum Torque Specialties in CA) sells the kit that allows removal of the pump.  The kit is a set of 1970 Cadillac pulleys essentially (only year of the 472/500 from 1968-74 with no air pump).  This includes the plugs.  The air pump gone is one less thing to go wrong.  Cleans up engine bay too.  If you call 500cid or MTS, they will tell you the size of the plugs and you can buy them at NAPA locally for less than a dollar.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I thought it was a dime or nickel size, penny doesn't sound correct.    MTS for sure had the correct plugs.    I think MTS even has a kit that comes with the plugs, pulleys, and even a belt to get rid if it all.    You just have to specify if your car has the dual AC PS belt or single.  Dual was 68-74 and single was 74-79 but at this age things could have been swapped so its better to just specify what you have rather than go by year.    If you are going to get the kit and don't have working AC it may be worth going to the single just to get the extra clearance for the HEI which was why the factory changed.   The single belt will ride fine in the dual PS pulley, just looks a little odd.  IF you get around to fixing the AC you just order a single groove compressor.

Some cars I have put an HEI in there was no clearance issue with the pipe and no signs that it was bent or dented.   Others did require a slight tweak that was not obvious looking at it.   If you really got down there and looked close you could tell there was a slight bend but it was not some crazy hack looking sort of bend.

Bearings like to go out in the pumps so getting rid of it in the long run will help with reliability.  What killed the bearings back in the day was the check valve on the pipe would fail and let the corrosive exhaust gas back up into the pump.  It was also hard on the diverter valve which apparently is very hard to find these days.  When the valve fails you get backfires in the exhaust on deceleration.   Now days the bearings are just crap and don't seem to last.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Canuck

Thanks to all of you who replied. Your input has been helpful. for the time being I'm going to concentrate on the dist. install. Maybe down the line I'll eliminate the pump.

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you are able to use a welder and a grinder, then I can assist you.

Before cutting up the front mount, I created a locating mounting on the bench, consisting of bolts that act as posts, and enough thread to allow the lowering of the cut piece to be re-set after the piece had been trimmed.   It is important to check the modified mount where the alternator fits to check for clearance of the Alternator Fan Blade before painting the part.

This trimming is required to move the Alternator rearwards to line up with the old air pump belt location.

Then the back mount is trimmed of all the Air Pump peripherals, and modified to give clearance to the moved-back Alternator.

As I had a single-pulley A/C Compressor, I didn't have to concern myself with belt clearance on the Distributor, and have found that this works out okay.

The Alternator adjusting arm then needs some minor massaging to work.

As you can see, at the time I didn't have the replacement plugs for the heads, so I simply welded up the fittings and reinstalled them.   From what I remember, when replacing the left side pipe, you have to allow for the thickness of the pipe retainer under the Power Steering mounting, as if not, the mounting doesn't sit straight.

Bruce.  >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Canuck

Tassie,
Great post! Unfortunately my parole officer says I can't have a welder, even though I know how to weld.

Joeyq80

The plugs for the air injection holes in the cylinder head of '68-'74 472-500's are 19/32"
1964 Cadillac Sedan de Ville
1968 Cadillac Eldorado
1974 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1979 Cadillac Eldorado

DeVille68

Hi Bruce

Great post! Thanks a lot!
Will this work with my 68 DeVille too?

(although I don't have any Air Pump parts, would need to create a special bracket)
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Like Scott said the simplistic is to either go to the 1970 set pulley set if you want to keep the dual AC belt set up of the 75/76 pulleys if you want to have sufficient HEI clearance. I don't know how I got so foresighted but a while back I got a few of each of the sets and have put one or the other on my projects. No need to fool with the alternator location.
Greg surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-