News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Radio

Started by captguido, March 10, 2017, 08:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captguido

Hey Gang, Newbie hear.  Will a AM/FM 1966 Radio fit a 1962 . It looks like it .. I don't want to buy an aftermarket one  Anyone know ? Thanks

Dan LeBlanc

No they don't, unfortunately.  I've heard of folks devoting a lot of time, effort, and expense trying to do so unsuccessfully.  You can always have your 62 radio sent out and converted to AM/FM and still have the signal seeking function work, auxiliary input added, and still retain the look of the 62 radio.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

Have you looked at places like Retrosound?   If not may be worth a look.   The have some reasonably priced options that don't require any mods to the car.   They are for sure not identical to the originals but you can usually find a combination of knobs and a face that kinda blends in better than what you would usually think of as an aftermarket unit.   I have gone that route myself and helped a few others recently.   You can then get a working radio that looks alright and work on other parts of the car or just enjoy it for a reasonable price.   If later you decide you want to have the original resorted or gutted you still can.   The restos and gut conversions are not especially cheap or quick so its nice to have other options especially if the car is still fairly new to you and you may change directions after you have it for a while. 

With all the Bluetooth and other portable technologies these days having a modern system under the seat or just portable is a lot more attractive than it used to be then you either leave the original just to look good or resto it just to have it original.   I have seen a lot of people lately that build a console that has the modern radio, speakers, and cupholders.    When just out enjoying the car they leave it in,  when its show time it easily lifts out.   With the modern batteries you don't even need any sort of hook up to the car.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caddyholic

I am putting an old school fm converter from the 70's in my car. It will go in the glove box. I also have a fm transmitter that plugs into my I phone.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

captguido

Thanks, you guys for the info