News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

PRODUCTION #

Started by busybodys, March 10, 2017, 01:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busybodys

LITTLE HELP PLEASE! TRYING TO RESURCH A 1961 CADLLIAC ELDOORDO CONVERTIBLE ITS # 479 OF 1450 MATCHING NUMBERS ON DRIVETRAIN SHOWING 56K MILES MY QUESTION IS HOW MANY WERE BUILT IN TRIPLE BLACK . MY CODES FOR PAINT / TRIM /TOP ARE ALL BLACK IS THIS RARE? SOME ONE HAS COLOR CHANGED THE CAR TO RED PAINT WHITE AND RED INSIDE AND A WHITE TOP... THE CAR RUNS AND DRIVES PERFECT NEEDS PAINT AND A TOP WHAT SHOULD I DO? AND WHERE CAN I FIND OUT HOW MANY WERE TRIPLE BLACK? THANKS IN ADVANCE
BUSY BODYS AUTO PAINTING

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Unfortunately the detailed information you seek was never officially published however, Cadillac did happen to list a breakdown of exterior colors for the 1961 model year in the 1962 Specifications Manual. According to that, "Ebony" (black) painted cars represented 12.7% of total 1961 Cadillac production. It was only superseded by white at 27.1% making black the second most popular color that model year.

A separate breakdown is also provided for Eldorado in which black is listed as 7.2% however this percentage ranks 7th place (for Eldorado production only). The most popular color for Eldorado in 1961 was white (19.2%) however, neither of these were "Eldorado" colors.

Hope this helps and welcome to the CLC Forum. Best of luck with your car. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

As for what to do, it is my understanding that our club allows color changes, and by that it is understood point deductions are not suffered if the color is changed.

Further, it is your car.  If you like black, might be good to change it back if you are up for a color change.  Body and tops that are same color don't quite pop for me, and so probably would make that white.  However black tops have the advantage of looking better longer.  On the interior, black is very hot in the sun.  If you put the top down a lot on nice sunny days, may want to consider red, white or maybe the two tone red/white color combo Cadillac offered that year (not sure if offered in Eldo, it was offered in series 62 or DeVille).   Maybe triple black would bring the highest resale?  Anyway you really cannot go too wrong with a top or exterior in black or red, a top in white or black, and an interior in white, black (only if exterior is black), red, or a combo of white and red or white and black.  if it were me probably would go for black top white interior and white top.  Enjoy your Eldorado!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

If you're concerned about possible consequences in judging, here is what
I remember as far as color changes.  However, the "new rules" taking effect
2017 may be different.  I'm not familiar enough with those to comment.

A color change was permitted, if it was a Cadillac color and was available
in that year.  The proper coordinating colors as outlined in the specification
book (interior, top, trunk) must be a combination that was allowed (could
be ordered).  Since we are not talking about a "special order" or "SO" car the
rules for that do not apply here.

Most people who are going through the expense for a proper repaint and concerned
about judging have the car redone with the colors as outlined on the data plate
under the hood.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region