News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

sold a CT6 this week

Started by Scot Minesinger, April 29, 2017, 08:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A 1962 Cadillac won't be built again but there's no reason styling elements from it cannot be incorporated into an all new Cadillac just as other manufacturers had done in the examples cited above.

I chose 61/62 because it's a style relatively unfamiliar with most of the motoring public - yet is extremely popular with younger people today. The styling elements of 61/62 is unique to those model years only. Since there are so many different elements to the design of these models, the combinations of which and how many of these elements to employ are virtually limitless.   

Using 61/62 as a starting point, the studios should be able to come up with a Cadillac that is genuinely distinctive once again that would be a hit with the public. Heaven knows they need it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Agree, if Cadillac did use the 61/62 Cadillac as a starting point for a retro design, I would probably buy it.  The problem with SUV's is the parking garage issue, so in DC metro area the Escalade can be limited, whereas a sedan never will.  Further, while SUV's are car like, they are not quite able to match the comfort of a car, and a car is often much more fun to drive.  I drive my Crown Vic over the Suburban any day of the week.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

I think people need to stop blaming model names (All of the top selling luxury brands in the states, many of which have seen record sales here within the last few years, use letter and/or number model names quite successfully) or styling for Cadillac's lower large luxury (starting price over $40K) sedan sales.  Cadillac is still currently the top selling brand in that segment. The issue is really more about the decline of the large sedan segment than what Cadillac may or may not be doing.

Walter Youshock

They can't sell what they don't build...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 08, 2017, 12:08:14 PM
They can't sell what they don't build...

Right and in this market that means building more crossovers and SUVs.   Cadillac’s XT5 has been well received and is currently outselling each of the crossovers/SUV models from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Acura, Lincoln, Land Rover, Infiniti, Porsche, and Volvo.............but they need more and at least two more are on the way.

As mentioned before, Cadillac is doing pretty well with large luxury sedans considering how much that segment has shrunken overall.  They’re selling more than anyone else in that segment.  They'd be selling a lot more CT6s and XTSs (same names, same styles, etc) if the large sedan market was what it was in decades past but it isn't and so they aren't.  The market for large sedans just isn't there like it once was and who knows when or if that will change.

59-in-pieces

All I "hear" - see - is blah blah blah - excuses - self justification - segments and niches - gaining on the leader of the best buggy whip - get it "whip".

A car maker - it seems to me - does not live on bread alone (SUV's), but rather a smorgasbord of other models.
And if that car maker is going to succeed - over all - each part of the menu must be appetizing - and that hinges on "what it looks like", before the car buying public wants to taste it = buy it.

Someone vary wise once wrote - "They can't sell what they don't build..."
And in my world that = DUH! - TRUE DAT.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

WTL

If you are selling tons of XT5s, great!  Keep the volume of XT5s high.  Sounds like they nailed a sweet area. 

Escalades too.  Keep selling them.  I just don't see why Cadillac can't chew gum and walk.  Is a CT8 that expensive to produce?  Did Cadillac forget how to scale up a car? 

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on May 09, 2017, 01:37:17 PM
A car maker - it seems to me - does not live on bread alone (SUV's), but rather a smorgasbord of other models.

Huh?  I guess you must be referring to brands like Jeep and Land Rover because Cadillac DOES have a diverse lineup.  In addition to a crossover and SUV, they offer compact, midsize and large cars.  They offer luxury models as well as performance models.  They offer coupes as well as sedans.  If anything, Cadillac hasn't expanded enough into the crossover/SUV segment and that's the problem as a lot of current market growth is and has been in that segment.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: WTL on May 09, 2017, 07:51:39 PM
I just don't see why Cadillac can't chew gum and walk.  Is a CT8 that expensive to produce?  Did Cadillac forget how to scale up a car?

Cadillac probably doesn't feel there is profit or enough profit to build a larger-than-CT6 right now because there is not enough demand or appeal for that type of car.  Today's new car buyers don't seek out or admire the large luxury sedans like they used to.  Plus, Cadillac's last very large sedan (1993-96 Fleetwood) brought in their oldest buyers (average age of buyers of the 1993-96 Fleetwood at the time was late 60s) and Cadillac is trying to minimize the "old man car" image.  On top of that, the 1993-96 Fleetwood didn't sell particularly well anyway (smaller DeVille sold much, much better) considering large sedans overall were a lot more popular back then.  Things are different today and large sedans just don't carry near the appeal they once did.

Walter Youshock

Oh, absolutely--with the greatest amount of elderly in America ever as the Baby Boomers age...  sure, they don't need or want a large CAR that's easy to enter and exit...  or the fact yhat people are getting bigger and bigger... or the fact that gas is relatively cheap now and more and more people are driving than flying...  perfect time to NOT have that type of luxury car...

So what if they lost a few bucks on it?  They supposedly lost 10k on every Eldorado Brougham and didn't care.  The publicity was worth every penny.  The series 75 was sold at a loss, too.  But almost every wedding, funeral, and opening night had one.

Lotta market share not being tapped to me.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 10, 2017, 04:13:01 PM
Oh, absolutely--with the greatest amount of elderly in America ever as the Baby Boomers age...  sure, they don't need or want a large CAR that's easy to enter and exit...  or the fact yhat people are getting bigger and bigger... or the fact that gas is relatively cheap now and more and more people are driving than flying...  perfect time to NOT have that type of luxury car...

So what if they lost a few bucks on it?  They supposedly lost 10k on every Eldorado Brougham and didn't care.  The publicity was worth every penny.  The series 75 was sold at a loss, too.  But almost every wedding, funeral, and opening night had one.

Lotta market share not being tapped to me.

Good point. Older people in general at a certain age, their bodies are a lot more sensitive to things, this is why for years the elderly or older folks tend to prefer bigger, softer riding, more comfortable cars since it's easier on the body as well as easier to get in and out of. I can't count how many newer cars I've driven and the ride of most vehicles are stiff and overly harsh. You feel the road impacts and noise more than you do in an older full-size Cadillac. As this country continues to age, the demand for soft riding, quiet cars will be a huge market seller in the near future.

Even some young people I know, can't stand harsh riding cars, and would rather drive something that is more balanced. Just go on other general automotive forums online, and you'll notice the similar complaints of modern cars riding overly stiff.

The reason why the full-size luxury sedans from Cadillac aren't selling that great compared to their SUV counterparts is that for the same or less amount of money, you can get a CUV that can hold more people, and has better cargo room, similar features, and tech than any sedan could ever offer.

What's missing here is a full-size Cadillac that is strikingly beautiful and exciting, worth owning on looks alone. They are not building sedans where it's styling is worth the asking price. This is something I am starting to realize.

Imagine if Cadillac built the Ciel concept and put it into production a few years ago? The amazing drop top, suicide doors, with that interior, and exterior design? Oh you bet buyers would flock to the dealership and pay $100,000 for one just because of how unique, cool, and excessive the car is. That thing would have been a guaranteed success, it doesn't take bean counters and stubborn management to figure it out, good old common sense is what is needed sometimes, but is sadly overlook in many places of business. Nothing in the Cadillac lineup is as amazing as that concept. I will never understand Cadillac and it's management sometimes, they can design and engineer absolutely drop dead gorgeous concepts, but the production models are so bland and generic compared to the concept, that the public either gets turned off, or upset. Asking Cadillac "Why can't you guys just build the damn thing!!!". In a sense, Cadillac isn't really being all that "Daring" like they want you to believe. Better management and a person that is willing to at least give a slight nod to Cadillac's past should be in a position to lead Cadillac into the future. Someone who is willing to go against market trends and do something different.

I would love to have a conversation with upper management at GM and Cadillac and give them an earful!

Rants over :)
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Scot Minesinger

I started this post with the idea that a qualified buyer of a large luxury sedan in the market to buy one, never heard of CT6, and upon my recommendation, it is now under consideration.  My question was more about how can Cadillac get the word out to more qualified buyers that this beautiful car exists.  Many have responded that the name or the styling was not something they would buy and this is not the issue, or a topic for another post.  I enjoy the deviation many posts take and often contribute to that myself.  Again this is a qualified buyer (he has the money) who wants to buy a large sedan (he is in the livery business), and when I told him the name he had no objection whatsoever.  Young cool buyers that Cadillac wants, hopefully myself included don't care what the name of the car is, unless it is horrifically insulting or negative.

Back on track, exclusive of the name, any ideas to improve informing the qualified buying public about this car?  A great commercial where everyone is beyond impressed when it pulls up to a very public event always seems to be effective.

I will start another post on the subject that everyone commented on.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

D.Smith

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on May 11, 2017, 08:42:00 AM
Back on track, exclusive of the name, any ideas to improve informing the qualified buying public about this car?  A great commercial where everyone is beyond impressed when it pulls up to a very public event always seems to be effective.

How about a Billboard campaign like they used to do?     These are from 89 when they made the cars bigger that year.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Thanks for posting those Dave.

The "Think Big" campaign was for the [re]introduction of the Fleetwood Brougham in 1986. I vividly recall a double page advertisement that had been run the WSJ proudly showing off the car in full broadside view in what was probably - and appropriately - triple black, in d'Elegance regalia with genuine wire wheels. The ad was almost as big is the car itself.

There was to be no doubt as to what the Brougham was, or its mission.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute