News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Advice what to look for on a DeVille 1980

Started by 30326, March 13, 2017, 02:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have been trying to search the forum for advice on what to look for / problems with 1980 Cadillacs. I know what to look for in a mid 60. But not very good on a 1980.
Will be looking on a 1980 De Ville with 81k miles. Car looks rust free on picture but I still have to go and see it for myself. So what should I pay special attention too?

Dave Shepherd

There really is no weak areas are specific to that car, the drivetrain is very reliable, assuming it is the 368 engine. Look for all the usual stuff on a 37 year old car.

TJ Hopland

I can't think if anything specific to an 80.   I think most of the systems are the same as a 78-79.   The Eldo's had the digital climate control and EFI but Deville didn't get that stuff till the next year.    I think I would have to agree with Dave, its just a 37 year old car.    Rubber will be likely shot if its original.   Some of the plastics were better than the 70's but you would still want to look close at everything.   Tune up and wear parts should not be a problem.    As usual not much is reproduced for body and interior so hopefully that stuff is all there and in good shape.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

936CD69

I'm sure Eric DeVirgilis will chime in, but if not, PM him. He's an expert on this vintage.
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Greg Powers

As has been previously stated, there really aren't  any major engine or transmission issues with the 1980. Be sure to check the condition and fit of the filler panels between the front and rear bumpers and the sheet metal. If deteriorated these panels are reproduced but some are much better fit than others and then there is the matter of painting them to match or of more extensive repainting. If the DeVille has a vinyl top be sure to check for any leaks around the rear window/front of trunk compartment and look for any signs of rust. These are very nice Cadillacs and usually still available at reasonable prices. - Good Luck
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The information proffered here is spot on; there's really very little that can be added except to say the years 1977 - 1980 are great cars all around, super dependable, relatively straightforward to repair/ service, ride and handle beautifully, are very resilient to the dreaded tinworm.

I assume the engine is the 6.0 liter V8 4 bbl which traces its lineage back to the 472 of 1968 which is to say bulletproof,  albeit detuned, for emission's sake. 

Nothing special to look for except the usuals, Ie: body, paint, interior condition issues, etc and especially the body color filler panels, almost all of which are cracked by now. Replacements are available but you want to have them installed by a good body shop because most need to be played with for proper fitment.

Is this a Coupe or Sedan deVille? Colors? Cloth, leather?

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute