News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Photos of My Two 1960 Cadillacs & Build Record/Outlet Code Assistance Request

Started by Josh Noiles, March 13, 2017, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Noiles

Hi guys! Writing from Nova Scotia, Canada and need some help.

Just recieved this amazing paperwork back for my two 1960 Cadillac Series 62 Six-Window Sedans. As you can see, these cars are so similar and yet very different at the same time. Both are original survivors and have approx. the same mileage: 40,XXX

The Persian Sand car has the early build date and nearly no options. It was always rumored to be a car that is local to Nova Scotia, and I have traced its history back to the mid-'70s through word of mouth in this area. Unfortunately the trail goes cold there, and I have no dealer / owner paperwork aside from the owners manual and accessory booklet.

Outlet code is 850111

My 1960 Cadillac 6229 in Persian Sand by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

PersianSand1960 by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

The Inverness Green Car (late build date) is interesting: came to Nova Scotia through a local used car dealer who picked it up in Rhode Island in '79. It must have been pampered before that, too. Been here in NS since 1979, and was stored in a heated basement, covered in blankets & on jack stands since the day it was purchased from the used car dealer. When I brought it home in May 2016, that was the second time it had been outside since 1979. (Once in 2011, staged for photos on owner's property for his 50th wedding anniversary celebrations, then back into basement garage). I heard about it via fluke & word of mouth and investigated: it paid off! A story all in itself.

Options are interesting: car seems to have everything except Q engine & Air Suspension on a Series 62. Plus it lists "General Motors" as the original owner on the paperwork. (Any input here is welcomed!)

I do have owner paperwork for this one, (see photos) and the original owner is listed as "General Motors." Any help on as to why that is would be appreciated, as well. Selling dealer was Blake Cadillac in Harrisburg, PA. Have receipts from the '60s where a "Paul W. Miller" (Harrisburg, PA) owned the car.

Outlet code is 941190

Untitled by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

InvernessGreen1960 by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

Looking for any information or assistance as far as outlet codes especially.

Thanks in advance, and for being such an awesome resource for a young guy with a passion these cars and their history/preservation.  :)

Undertaker & Justice of the Peace

Classic Car Club of America 39782
Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Club 3768
Cadillac & LaSalle Club 28180
Professional Car Society 4223
Imperial Owner Registry 287892
Riviera Owners Association 15134

'56 Eldorado Seville
'60 Series 62 Six-Window
'65 Fleetwood Eldorado
'76 Coupe deVille

Josh Noiles

In case anyone was interested in seeing the cars:

IMG_4404 by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

15956490185_c637502591_z by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

15387743316_b3e46d45f2_o by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

1960 Cadillac Series 62 six-window by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

27030780935_64e8aa176f_o by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

26744768480_f3c92c62cf_o by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

26936551072_2356e01bc6_o by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

26950255461_a9df91fde6_o by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

27018451795_b82ef2f4c2_o by Josh Noiles, on Flickr

'56 Eldorado Seville
'60 Series 62 Six-Window
'65 Fleetwood Eldorado
'76 Coupe deVille

Walter Youshock

Nice set in attractive colors.  My '57 was sold from Blake.  Unfortunately they went out of business in the early 2000's.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

manxie

Two beautiful cars you have there ... stunning  8) 8) ... I`m very jealous!!
78 Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That's an incredible pair of '60 Sedans you have there - and both originals at that.

850111 to the best of my knowledge was the Chicago big branch distributor.

Congratulations and best of luck with your cars.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Josh,

Those are two very good looking and interesting cars.  I can't help you with the dealer codes, but I have two original 1960s, and enjoy seeing other originals.

Your green car came from a dealership that is local to me.  Blake Cadillac-Oldsmobile at 2222 Paxton Street in Harrisburg was a major dealership for many years.  It dates back at least to the post-WWII years, and perhaps before that.  In the 1970s, the dealership became Titus Cadillac-Oldsmobile, and after that it was Brenner Cadillac-Oldsmobile, and finally Brenner Cadillac until it closed in 2007.  Brenner Cadillac sponsored car shows for the Central Pennsylvania Region of the CLC from 1989 until 2007.  It also sponsored shows for the local Oldsmobile club.  The building still stands, and is used by other Brenner dealerships for the sale of used cars.

As to why the original owner would be shown as General Motors Corp. at the dealership address, I can only hazard a guess.  Some of the larger Cadillac dealerships in those days were also "distributorships", which had a closer relationship to the factory than the typical dealership.  As the major Cadillac dealer in the capital city of Pennsylvania, Blake may have been one of those distributors.   If so, that could explain why Cadillac had a zone office or some other local presence at the dealership address.  Perhaps the car was ordered for the use of a GM executive whose job entitled him to drive a company-owned car for some period of time.

The remarkable amount of optional equipment on this car supports the thought that it may have been ordered for a GM executive.  The pictures show air conditioning (which was then on less than half of all new Cadillacs), cruise control, power windows, power vent windows, and power door locks, as well as the original floor mats.  The data plate also shows the presence of 6-way power seat, power trunk release, and tinted glass.  Of the seven 1960 Cadillacs I have owned (including an Eldorado Biarritz), none has had this much equipment on it.

There is a wealth of information about 1960 Cadillacs available on a website sponsored by the GM Heritage Center.  Go to the website with the address shown below, and you will be able to download a 1960 Cadillac salesman's data book and other great sources of information:
“https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html”.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from those Cadillacs -- the surviving originals are great treasures to be preserved and appreciated.

Richard Sills
CLC #936

D.Smith

Atta boy Josh!

I've seen both those cars in person on my trip to Nova Scotia last September.   They are incredible.
Same for Josh, his brother Matt and buddy Tyler.  All are young, die-hard Cadillac enthusiasts with awesome Cadillacs.

Josh Noiles

Guys, thanks so much for the kind words and information. :)

Walter & manxie, thank you!

Eric, that means a lot coming from you: I know you have a lot of knowledge of the '59 & '60 models, and have some wonderful examples. I believe we spoke on the phone several years ago when I had a Saxony Red '80 Coupe DeVille for sale. Please feel free to correspond with me any time!

Richard, your response was fantastic. Very insightful and I am honoured to have you weigh-in. I would love to see your current 1960 models sometime! I am told your collection is a sight to behold! Happy to have made your online-acquaintance.

Dave, I can't wait to see your '61 in person this summer.

Looking forward to meeting you all this year at the Grand National, which will be my first ever! (I'm going to celebrate my 30th birthday!)  Although I am not able to bring a car of my own, I will be coming with Dave Smith.

I'm excited for the better weather to arrive soon so I can get them both out again. Hoping to display these cars as a pair at some shows this summer and really get some fun reactions and spark some interesting conversations!

Now that I've done this for the 1960 Cads,  I will be obtaining this GM build record information for my '64 Series 75 and my brother's '65 Eldorado soon. Will keep you all posted! :)

Thanks again, guys!

'56 Eldorado Seville
'60 Series 62 Six-Window
'65 Fleetwood Eldorado
'76 Coupe deVille

76eldo

I have never seen as many options on a body data plate either.  Looks like alphabet soup!

I echo Richard's sentiments.  Beautiful original cars!  Enjoy them.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)