News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1975 Sedan DeVille tilt steering wheel problem

Started by DrJohn, March 14, 2017, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Just acquired 1975 Sedan Deville and noticed that tilt steering wheel will delink itself and fall out of line and the wheel will fall down if pulled on modestly as I do when getting into the car. I can reset wheel position with the lever behind the signals lever and the steering is fine thereafter unless I pull moderately hard on the wheel. Is this fixable? Thanks!

TJ Hopland

If you are sitting in the seat and grab the wheel at 9 and 3 can you flex it side to side?   If so it may just be something that is loose.   It was a common problem with the GM trucks and there are several repair videos online showing how to take it apart and tighten em.   The tilt part was the same trough 94.  The Cad had the telescope so there are a few more parts involved in getting it apart but once you get to the tilt part it should be the same. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason