News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

William H Leland II passing

Started by D.Smith, March 14, 2017, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

It is with great sadness to report that William H Leland II, Henry M Leland’s great nephew, passed away tonight.   Anyone in the CLC in the New England area is sure to know him.   Bill was 87.

Details on services will follow as more information is provided.     

wrefakis

Really sorry to hear that,got to know Bill over the years having been able to meet him in Northampton and become curator of his 70 dvc the last one produced.

We kept in touch down thru the years and he was typical of the great people I met back when this was a hobby, back when we has people like the lelands in the USA, back before everything became reality TV.

rest in peace bill, we will miss you

D.Smith

The first time I met Bill Leland was back around the late 1990s.  He had brought his gorgeous 1974 Cadillac Sedan deVille (Sable Black with Scarlet Red leather)  to Cadillac Day at the Museum of Transportation in Brookline, Massachusetts.   Just one of many magnificent cars he owned.  Still in his collection today. 

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I would have liked to have met him.

Out of curiosity, did he also own Lincolns?

D.Smith

Uxbridge/Northborough - William Henry Leland II, age 87, passed away March 14, 2017 at Milford Regional Medical Center after a short illness. He leaves his devoted wife of 57 years, Elinor H. (Philip) Leland; his loving children, George P. Leland of Uxbridge; Jeffrey J. Leland and his wife Joan of Westmore, VT; Andrea M. Leland and her husband Billy Smith Jr. of Northborough; four grandchildren, William H. Leland IV, Kristine Leland, Jamie Smith and Billy Smith III. He is predeceased by his son William H. Leland III (2003), and his sister, Virginia Lapinsky. Born and raised in Worcester, he was the son of William F. and Amelia M. (Book) Leland. Mr. Leland graduated from South High School class of 1948. After high school, Bill enlisted in the army where he served his country in the Korean Conflict and was honorably discharged in 1952. Following his time in the service, Bill began his career at the former Rice Barton Corporation in Worcester as director of purchasing and moved on to become plant manager at Lodding Thermo Electron in Auburn. During his time with Lodding, Bill enrolled in the School of Industrial Management program at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, graduating in 1982.   Shortly thereafter, Bill pursued his dream and opened W.H. Leland Automobiles in Worcester. Bill's passion for automobiles, particularly vintage Cadillacs, stemmed from being a direct descendant of Henry M. Leland, the founder of the Cadillac and Lincoln automobiles. After 35 years in Northborough, Bill and Ellie moved to Uxbridge in 1996. A man of great integrity, he will be loved forever and greatly missed. A funeral Mass will be celebrated Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 10 a.m. at St. Mary's Parish, 77 Mendon St. Uxbridge. There are no calling hours. Bill's burial will take place privately in the parish cemetery. The family requests that flowers be omitted. Hays Funeral Home of Northborough is assisting the Leland family with  arrangements. To share a memory or to leave an online condolence, please visit www.haysfuneralhome.com

49caddyman

Last Tuesday evening, I received a call from an acquaintance of mine in the CLC with sad news.  My longtime friend, Mr. William H. Leland II, passed away unexpectedly that night around 8 PM after a brief illness.  "Bill", as He was affectionately called by those who knew Him, lived in Uxbridge, Mass., just 5 miles from my home in Massachusetts.  I first met Bill back in 1994.  He was working part-time at a Christie & Thompson Auto Parts Store in town.  I owned a '69 Cadillac convertible at the time, & happened to drive it to the store one day.
Bill immediately noticed it, & commented on the missing fender skirts.  Mine were rotted badly & couldn't be installed.  He told me that He had a pair of rustfree skirts at His home.  I asked how much He wanted for them, and He replied "Nothing".  I insisted on giving Him something for them but He steadfastly refused & proceeded to give them to me...gratis.
   This was the type of person Bill was, & this was the beginning of a close friendship.  I enjoyed visiting Him on a regular basis, & would always drive one of my "babies" to His home, & He loved checking them out.  Bill owned a large Victorian home with a carriage house in back.  Invariably, He'd greet me with a smile and motion me to join Him in His "office"....(the carriage house), where He spent many hours working on His various Cadillacs & other vehicles.  We would then chat about our favorite subject...old cars.
   Bill was the Great-great Nephew of Henry Leland, & owned numerous interesting cars during His life. He was a longtime Member of the CLC (#1773), & also belonged to the Buick Club of America, The Professional Car Society, the CCCA, the AACA, just to name a few. Not all of Bill's cars were Cadillacs, but He did have a penchant for GM products.  Bill was a veritable walking storehouse of knowledge, & during our chats He would regale me with many intriqueing old car stories, often accompanied by vintage photos of cars He'd owned through the years...most He purchased brand-new.  Nearly every time I visited Him, He'd present me with some sort of NOS part or piece of literature from His vast collection.  I always insisted to pay Him something, but He didn't want to hear it.  That was the type of person Bill was.
   Bill was a distinguished, intelligent, kind, generous Christian man who attended mass on a daily basis with His wife of many years, Elinor, who was as sweet as Bill was.  We both shared and enjoyed each other's witty, sometimes sarcastic, sense of humor and engaged in many a laugh together.  I will miss His friendship immensely, as will everyone who was blessed with having Bill as a friend.  I loved Him as a Father, and there will always be an empty spot in my heart with His passing.  Rest In Peace, Mr. William H. Leland II.  Your friend,  Joe Cutler  CLC Member # 22017.

D.Smith

Nicely said Joe! 

I started a post on this a couple of days ago.  Maybe one of the Moderators can merge them into one.