News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 eldorado hubcaps

Started by 76 cadillac bob, March 16, 2017, 04:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76 cadillac bob

My restoration is almost complete with a few hiccups. Love my car but the current hubcaps do not stay on. Have bent the prongs, in and out, and now I am thinking someone stuck these awful hubcaps on that are not meant for the car. Tried to find Chrome rims, alas, none made with the skinny wheel wells so I am having to find new hubcaps. Is there a stock number for a  1976 eldo base front wheel drive rims and a source. I found some on line the price seems a little steep. OR is there a secret to getting them to stay on or to get them on with pulling out from one side or the other. My neighbors are getting tired of hearing me pound on the existing ones to try and get them to stay on.
BTW: I had an overheating problem, was timing and carb, runs like a dream now.
Eldorado Bob

P. Manoogian

Do you have the correct drop down weights? I know 1974 used them and I must assume the same applied to 76. Upload a pic of wheel w/o wheel cover showing the weights.
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

TJ Hopland

I too wondered about the weights.  Standard clip on weights clip where the cap has to grip.     I have had caps were it looked like someone cut out the tabs where the weights were so there wasn't much left to grip. 

Early Toronado had a chrome wheel with a small center cap.    Its been a while but I want to say I read that mid 2000's Grand Cherokee wheels fit.   There were specific years you had to look for, it was a pretty short period that worked.   I asked at a junkyard one time how much they would be and the price was way higher than I wanted to consider. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Greg Powers

As has been stated before, standard clip weights prevent the hubcap from properly gripping the wheel. You can use the "drop" weight specifically designed for older Cadillac hubcaps or you might try placing stick-on weights a little further in on the wheel to prevent interference with the hubcap "teeth". Good luck - Greg
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

The Tassie Devil(le)

What you need is the CAX Wheel Weights.

I got mine from All Tyre Supplies in Texas, but for Americans it is All Tire Supplies.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Greg Powers

"A picture is worth a thousand words" when trying to describe the proper wheel weight. Thanks for the picture and the info Bruce.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!