News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'55 door panel nail retainers

Started by 5390john, March 17, 2017, 12:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5390john

Hi Everyone:
Anybody have any idea what to use to replace original door panel nail retainers? See photo, the door panels have embedded nails in them to push into metal clips that are inserted into the doors. The photo shows the remnants of a door panel nail inserted into an original retainer that is left in the door. The open slots to the right will need some sort of replacement retainer to grab onto the replacement door panel's nail when the panel is installed.
Creative ideas welcome, or even better, a suppliers' part number!
John  Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Bob Kielar

When I had my door panels made the upholster changed the fasteners to this type. They are much easier to use but you have to drill new holes to use them. They hold the door panels on without any problems. This is on my 55 Fleetwood. If you what to look for fasteners try Restoration Specialties and Supply.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

V63

Upholstery supply places have a solution for that!

it's a piece of sheet metal about the size of a postage stamp...there is a gripping nail spot welded to it. it's sold folded so it clips over the cardboard door panel. A final squeeze with pliers fixes it into place.

5390john

Hi!
Any idea where to source? Any photos? Info?
Would really appreciate it
Thx for your reply!!
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

harvey b

I found some one time at a swap meet,it was from one of the guys that sells screws and fasteners like that?,however in a pinch they can be made,i made some with a uni-spotter dent tool,it is for welding studs on dents to help pull them out,i used a thin piece of metal about 1 x 3 bent it over and welded the stud to one side of it,you can cut the stud easy with a pair of pliers if they are too long?,position it where you want it then squeeze it together and it should hold,not a good description but hopefully you get what im trying to show. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

35-709

Quote from: 5390john on March 19, 2017, 01:07:47 AM
Hi!
Any idea where to source? Any photos? Info?
Would really appreciate it
Thx for your reply!!

As noted in the first reply to your original post ---

"Restoration Specialties and Supply."

Suggest you order their catalog, it will keep you amazed at all of the old-time fasteners, etc. that are still available.
http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

J. Gomez

John,

If your strip is in good/fair shape you can use the same holes from the old nails and place regular panel/molding finishing nails (serrated type) in their place.

I’ve used them on mine with good grip and results as they do not tend to slipped as easily as the smooth ones.

You can tack weld, solder or epoxy glue them in place but will need to cut them a bit.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082