News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Eldorado trailer hitch?

Started by 67_Eldo, March 17, 2017, 10:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

I need to attach a trailer hitch to my '67 Eldorado. Not surprisingly, I can't find any info specifically about the 67 on the web.

The second-generation cars were apparently rated for 6000 pounds. I'm going to assume, then that the 67 can handle 5000? Or can it?

Since my ride-leveling system was DOA when I bought the car, I've put on heavy-duty shocks with helper springs. According to their specs, the helper springs are helping rear-end lift to the tune of 1000 pounds.

When it finally emerges from the garage, the Eldorado will have a rebuilt transmission, Bruce Coe's switch-pitch controller, new brakes all around (including the original-design front discs), new front suspension pieces, and a host of other odds and ends that should add up to an almost mechanically new car. I should probably get a transmission cooler too.

I want to pull a small car (Miata/MR2) on an auto trailer.

What are my options?

Thanks!

TJ Hopland

My guess is you will have to have something custom made.   As long as there are some decent chunks of frame that extend to the rear it should not be a big deal.  With that car having leaf springs there would have to be good frame where the springs attach.  Some cars with coil springs the frame got pretty thin after the axle. 

Make sure you take into consideration exhaust when you are designing the hitch.  Usually you would do the hitch first then have the the exhaust done.   You do need to let the hitch guy know what you are thinking for the exhaust just in case he can make a slight adjustment to make the exhaust work.

Here is the one I had made for my 73 many years ago.

If I was going to do it again today I think I would try to do this which was the factory hitch on my 2005 Dodge Magnum.   I would think you could still buy the drawbar from Chrysler.  Apparently they used them on some of the mini vans too.  If you can tuck it behind the bumper you won't see it when the drawbar is removed.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

67_Eldo

The hidden hitch would be great!

My car has the stock single exhaust. I'm not sure if that will make things easier or harder, but at least I'll ask before the work begins.

Good point about the leaf springs. I didn't know if there'd be enough of a rear subframe on a 67 to grab onto. But since it uses leaf springs, there must be something back there.

Thanks!

Scot Minesinger

The 67 Eldorado has a full perimeter frame and there is definitely enough steel to anchor to.  Keep the tongue weight low (balance), as the weight on front wheels should be maintained as much as possible. 

I think 5,000lbs is kind of high, please consult your owner's manual.  Generally a non-towing equipped vehicle can manage an occasional tow that is more than the factory rating during cooler weather.  Extended towing in hot weather beyond the rating of the factory will not conclude in a good result.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

67_Eldo

According to the 67 Cadillac shop manual, the Eldorado did not have a full-perimeter frame. It, like the Toronado, had a long subframe that stopped just short of the rear wheels. The single-leaf springs (which are sort of tired on my car) attach to this subframe in front and attach to a separate subframe in the rear.

The 67 Owner's Manual provides no specific weight guidance, other than this (obviously written by one of Cadillac's finest lawyers):

"Since many kinds of trailer hitches are sold, it is not practical for Cadillac to evaluate and test all hitches. We recommend only that the owner satisfy himself as to the strength of the hitch and the method by which it is attached to the car. Generally, trailer tongue loads should be minimized by maintaining good balance of the load in the trailer. General information on trailer hauling is available and can be obtained by writing to Cadillac Motor Car Division, Service Department, Detroit, Michigan."

In the Cadillac tradition, I'm trying to satisfy myself as to the maximum strength of the hitch and the best method by which it should be attached to the automobile. :-)

Thanks!

Think your answer is in the text: "General information on trailer hauling is available and can be obtained by writing to Cadillac Motor Car Division, Service Department, Detroit, Michigan." Just write to them and ask. There is no statue of limitations in that text so they still have to supply the information. If not, sue them!

If you worry about load on springs and shocks, you might try a shock with spring. https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1900&MakeName=Cadillac&MakeYear=1967&CategoryID=92&ProductCode=306&Router=Catalog. I never tried these, but I guess the it should help you firm up a bit.

67_Eldo

I figured since the rest of you guys aren't writing to Cadillac for advice, I wouldn't either! Besides, the 1967 Owner's Manual contains no email or web addresses. :-)

Your link didn't work, but I'm assuming it probably ends up pointing at shocks that are similar to the ones I've installed:

http://www.shocks2springs.com/PXL1122--Rear-XHD-Spring-assist-shocks--fits-1967-Eldorado-late-1966-67-68-69-70-Olds-Toronado_p_330.html

I'm not so worried about the rear springs. I mainly want to make sure that the front 2/3rds of the Eldo remain firmly attached to its final 1/3rd if I decide to tow something.

Thanks!

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 18, 2017, 12:43:19 PM
The 67 Eldorado has a full perimeter frame and there is definitely enough steel to anchor to.
As 67_Eldo wrote, Eldorado and Toronado had a short conventional frame ending at the "B" pillar; the rear of the car is like an unibody vehicle, no separate frame.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TJ Hopland

If there isn't a frame then I would be concerned about 5000 pounds.    Half that wound not bother be but 5000 is getting to be a lot of weight.   To see what that would do get 500 pounds close to the rear bumper.   2 or 3 buddies sitting on the trunk lip?   That will show you what it would do with the tongue weight.  If that looks alright then you are just back to like you said keeping the front 2/3 attached to the rear 1/3.     

I will have to look closer at that body frame design, sounds interesting.  Its been a while since I been under one of those.   Must not have been considered that great of a design because they went back to a full frame. 

Roger Zimmermann

Just a picture from the underside from a '66 Toronado. The frame is ending where the rear springs are beginning.
No, this is not a real car but my 1:12 scale model.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

67_Eldo

Thanks for the suggested test. I guess this issue isn't as cut and dried as I thought it was. Airstream owners shunned the first-gen Eldorado? :-)

I couldn't find a good pic of the 1967 Eldorado chassis layout, but I did find one of the 1966 Toronado. Note the back ends of the rear leaf springs hanging out in space.

TJ Hopland

The photo and model really show the frames well.    Interesting design.   I suppose they figured there isn't a lot going on back there,  its kinda just a trailer so no need for a lot of structure. 

67_Eldo

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 19, 2017, 10:38:11 AM
Just a picture from the underside from a '66 Toronado. The frame is ending where the rear springs are beginning.

Great pic! The exhaust system sure would be easier to work on if I tipped my car up like that. :-)

It is interesting (to me) that the Toronado went with dual exhausts while the Eldorado merged the pipes into a single exhaust. I assume they did that to maximize quietness.

Thanks!

76eldo

For the cost of a new transmission in your Eldo you could buy a cheap pick up truck.
Unless you are embarking on a cross country trip and will need two cars at times why would you want to use a 67 Eldo as a tow vehicle?

For handling purposes I'd think that a 67 Eldo towing a car on a trailer would not handle well on the road. I have logged thousands of miles transporting cars with an F250 truck and 19' trailer.

Youwi be beating that car to death.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

67_Eldo

Quote from: 76eldo on March 19, 2017, 11:24:12 AM
For the cost of a new transmission in your Eldo you could buy a cheap pick up truck.

You're telling me! As of three weeks ago, it has a "new" $2500 transmission.

Looking at the specs of the three top-selling vehicles in America in 2016, I realized that the Ford F-150, the Chevrolet Silverado, and the Ram 1500 all have virtually the same dimensions as a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado. The only difference is in height, where the Eldo has the advantage of sitting ~20 inches lower. Better yet, the Eldorado's 429 offers more torque than any of the standard engines in that modern trio.

I'm not going to tow frequently. At best, maybe short distances six times a year.

Cars are meant to be driven. Mine is not in any danger of becoming a show car. I want to trailer like it's 1969! :-)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 19, 2017, 10:38:11 AM
No, this is not a real car but my 1:12 scale model.
G'day Roger,

The attention to detail on your model is fantastic.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Bruce! I may add that the model has electrical windows operated by the master switch on the driver's door and by the individual switches at the RH door and quarter panels. Plus other nice details...which will not be shown here, it's not a Cadillac.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101