News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New To Forum - a couple of questions

Started by joshmosher, March 19, 2017, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshmosher

Hello All - I am new to this forum.

I recently purchased a 1967 Calias Coupe in very good - usable, all original, condition.  A few issues though:

- Radio/Antennae does not work.  I checked the fuse and they don't seem to be broken or corroded.  Antennae does not rise, radio does not generate even static.  Are there any possibilities that I am missing something?  Or is it most likely that the radio is dead.  There are a few untested radios on eBay.  If the radio is dead, should I consider one of these "untested" options - or is there a better place for me to go?
- Missing Female end of front seat lap belts.  Male ends are retractable and are in plain sight.  It seems strange to me that BOTH female ends would be missing?  I have checked and rechecked for the female ends and cannot find them anywhere, though, plastic pieces are in place in the seat - which seem to be placed where the female end would run up from underneath. 
- Dash clock does not work.  I can't find any NOS options online - should I consider a reproduction?
- adjustable sideview mirror has limited mobility - is this fixable?  Does anybody have any experience with this?

Any suggestions on any of the above would be very much appreciated:

'78 Coupe Deville (yellow)
'78 Coupe Deville (Beige)
'67 Calais Coupe (Doeskin)

john henderson

hey Josh-at the risk of revealing myself to be merely human,when I first started driving my 65 I thought the mirror was limited in movement also.Only when I was polishing my interior door trim did I see the controller had two actions-It slides! Never noticed cuz I was looking at the mirror! Don't know if your 67 is set up the same but thought I'd share that-reluctantly.Good luck with your car!,John
65 coupe 76 coupe

joshmosher

Hi John - Thanks for the reply.  It actually took me a little while to recognize that the adjustment slides as well.  I really only have the ability to make adjustments when the toggle is in the rear-most position.  My thinking is that there are a few tension cables/wires running between the adjustment toggle and the mirror itself - and that these wires are worn out, or need tightening.  Also - I didn't know if there may be some kind of lubrication that would improve motion.

Thanks again for the reply!

Greg Powers

In regards to the radio and antenna and  any and all electrical issues you need a wiring schematic. Beyond just a fuse you could have a broken or damaged wire that could prevent the needed current. You can test and make sure that your are getting power to the antenna before you proceed further with getting into the fender to get at the antenna motor. If you don't already have one, you might want to purchase a shop manual for the 1967 Cadillac. It will include diagrams and possible issues that would prevent the radio  and antenna from operating properly. The seatbelts are a real puzzle???? never heard of such a strange problem. - Good Luck - Greg 
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

35-709

Are the middle seat belts missing entirely?  Have you checked their attach point behind the seat on either side of the tunnel where they should be bolted to the floor to see if they are there?

Unaware of any clock "reproductions" --- take yours out and send it to an auto clock rebuilder such as Instrument Services --- https://www.clocksandgauges.com/    Might consider having it "quartzed", then it will last a long time and be more accurate --- https://www.clocksandgauges.com/quartz-conversion.html

There are several outfits that repair clocks and gauges, a Google search should turn them up.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Glen

You may already know this, but… The antenna does not raise and lower by itself. To raise the antenna push in on the tuning knob of the radio, To lower it pull out on the knob.  My apologies if you already know that.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

chrisntam

As others have suggested, get a factory service manual, it is truly helpful.

I also suggest reading the owners manual, it will tell you how to operate the features of the car. It took me two years to figure out how to re-set the trip odometer.  It was right there in the owners manual all the time.

If the radios say untested, assume they don't work.  I sent mine out to CGR restoration in South Carolina to get restored, haven't got it back yet, so no feedback there.  After 50 years, things just wear out and fail.

My clock didn't work, I had it upgraded to a quartz movement, cost was $150. 

On the radio and clock, best to take yours out and have them rebuilt/repaired.  You may want to consider looking at the speakers too. 

Maybe the carpet was replaced and the lap belts not re-installed?

One other thing.  One of the rules we have here is that you have to post some pictures of your car.  Let's see that CADILLAC!

And welcome!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

joshmosher

So many great suggestions!  This is a great forum.  I am definitely going to get my wiring checked out as Greg Suggested.  In the meantime - I actually ordered a replacement radio which fits into the current mount/dash.  There are some really good modern options out there now that include modern features but do not require any sort of dash alterations. :)

35-709 - As far as the seat belts - There is no mount that i can find (assuming that it would be underneath the seat).  I have found a couple of possible replacement options online - but haven't pulled the trigger.

I will definitely also look into quartzising the dash clock as well - I didn't even know that it was an option.  I'm a bit green with much of this.  My previous Caddy's, I only had to worry about - would it start!!

Thanks all!

joshmosher

Pictures attached... Body & mechanics are in great shape (small dent behind passenger door).  Nevermind the spots you see - its kicked up dirt from this shipping truck... paint is in great shape.

joshmosher

more...

joshmosher

As I was reading the manual - I notice it recommended premium gas. 

Anybody know if this is the case for the 429 engine?  Should I only use premium?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The high compression engines of the day were designed to run, ideally, on premium (93 - 99 octane) leaded. Obviously leaded is not an option but you should definitely always run premium fuel at a minimum.

A bottle of lead additive every so often can't hurt either as well as some octane boost.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

joshmosher

Thank you!

Spent the day washing/cleaning the car - fighting tears of joy.

john henderson

65 coupe 76 coupe

76eldo

Enjoy your new acquisition!  Beautiful car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

dochawk

Quote from: 35-709 on March 19, 2017, 09:46:40 PM

Unaware of any clock "reproductions" --- take yours out and send it to an auto clock rebuilder such as Instrument Services --- https://www.clocksandgauges.com/    Might consider having it "quartzed", then it will last a long time and be more accurate --- https://www.clocksandgauges.com/quartz-conversion.html

If you simply rebuild it . . . you'll still have a GM clock . . .

The only clock I ever recall seeing work in any GM more than a couple of years old is on Carl's '27--probably because it winds rather than being electric . . .

hawk

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)