News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Best chrome shop?

Started by Cadillac Jack 82, March 23, 2017, 12:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Jack 82

All:

I know this is a subject I've brought up in the past however does anyone have a really nice chrome shop they could recommend to redo the bumpers and some trim items on my 1957 series 62?  I've reached out to Paul's Chrome but they seem a bit pricey and Librandi's in Harrisburg PA says the turn around time on large pieces is 12 weeks!  I'd like to redo my pieces as close to show as possible but I'm hesitant about waiting more than 6 weeks in order for my pieces to be refinished.  If anyone has a shop or tips for me that would be terrific.  Thanks!

-Tim in VA
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

One thing you'll find out (and I hope not the hard way) is that if you're looking
for "show quality chrome" it's not going to be cheap.  The major factor in cost
between "street" chrome vs. "show" chrome is the labor cost of polishing.

Labor = $$$

There is really no way around this.  Paul's is about 30 minutes from my home
in Wexford, PA.  He's done work for me and I've been very satisfied.  I know
of other shops as well that do excellent work but they are a greater distance
from you which means even higher cost involvement for shipping.

Good luck,

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bobby B

Paul's does nice work, a bit on the Pricey side. I've been using Space Coast Plating in Melbourne, FL. Quick turnaround, Nice Work, Good prices....
                                                                                                                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

35-709

I use Space Coast Plating in Melbourne, FL also, they are about 50 minutes from me.  They did all the plating on Big Red (my '35 Cad. resto-mod), and on my '73 Cadillac Caribou, and the 1950 Jaguar Mark V I am (still) building (but the chrome is done). 

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

39lasalle

I have heard of good things about Librandi's exc3pt for the price and wait.....what do you want?

Scot Minesinger

The season starts in a few weeks, it is too late unless you have cores to send.  I would get the pieces re-chromed in late 2017 and reinstall early 2018 off season.  I got an economy re-chrome on a 1970 Cadillac rear bumper and it looks like a shiny lake on a windy day - just terrible (not one smooth even section - chromed bumps)- got worse than I paid for.  Only use reputable shops.

Ironically these chrome shops are busier during season-don't get it?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Cadillac Jack 82

Well after talking with Paul's I think I might just go with them after all.  I'll finish my back end then work on the front.  For the entire back end I was quoted 3k and 6 weeks.  Sure it's pricey but if it's as good as everyone says it is then I'll do it.  It is a 57 after all and she deserves the best.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Chuck Swanson

I am in NY, but use https://www.redspartsattic.com/  in TX.  I bought rear bumpers off him on eBay and was impressed.  Sent the rest of chrome down for my '66 and he did a nice job last year.  I even sent him the windshield surround for polishing.  He also did the brushed surface for shift handle ends and steering wheel spokes.

Excellent customer service, updates, and packing was awesome. I also wanted to see some details, pics, process etc...before I picked someone, and he has good info on his website. 

Some of my pics here:

https://www.redspartsattic.com/photo-gallery-3/
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Highwayman68

Pauls has been around for like 40 years and has survived based on their reputation. I last used them about 40 years ago and would go back to them still today.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

CadillacRob

As someone who has no idea what chrome costs, what would be an average price to expect to have a 56 front bumper done?  $2k?
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Cadillac Jack 82

Depends on how much work it needs.  I've been quoted 2400 for my front bumpers and they're coming off a Southern CA car
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

cadillac ken

I'm here in Florida and I have a professional shop.  I use Space Coast Plating most of the time for customer's work as well as for my own cars' needs.  I have used Pauls and got mixed results (in the past few years).  Some hand made intricate brass moldings that were somewhat "delicate" (and certainly irreplaceable considering the time invested in the fabrication of them) were sent to Pauls and they did a wonderful job.  Then only about a year ago I sent them a hand made fabricated aluminum grill bar that was polished and mostly finished.  They messed it up terrible.  I could not believe it and still do not know what they did to it.  After talking to the "head guy" (don't recall his name) he said they tried to do it twice and "it's just getting worse".  so I said just strip it  and send it back.  Sometimes it's all about the calibre of craftsmen you employ--- or loose to competitors.  Turnover of key personnel can result in some real loss of quality workmanship.

I took the aluminum grill bar after it was returned by Pauls to Space Coast Plating and they did a terrific job.  No issues, no big deal, and even "restored" it back from the porosity and surface damage Pauls incurred.

My next stop will be Finishing Touch for really difficult and "needy" pieces.  They have a few U-tube videos of a 1938 (IIRC) Cadillac grill that is simply amazing.  You really owe it to yourself to watch this video.  It definitely shows why this restoring/re-plating process is so expensive.  And make no mistake this re-choming stuff is not cheap--- no matter who does it and it will take time.  If a shop can offer quick turnaround time, that's always a red flag for me.  My father used to say "if you're taking your car into the shop that can get on it right away because they aren't very busy, you really should ask yourself why that is-- there's probably a pretty good reason they aren't very busy"

yet the best advice I can give is I always send some small challenging items first to see the results and then decide.

EvilLenny83

I've worked for a high quality  corvette restoration shop for 17 years lots of survival cars and show cars $150k per car restorations anyway we used this company and would ship for NY to Illinois. I've been thru a couple of shops and seen cars from cheap places, bang for your buck if I put my hard money up check out" precision plating of Quincy Illinois. " Might be a little on high side but work is excellent. That's an inside company I would research them they repair everything u ask them to, show chrome is like a paint job anyone can chrome any one can paint but it's all in prep and prework. Don't cut corners if you want it to last, if that's the case just buy a China repop piece but restore an original part and you want it to last like factory-installed chrome check them out -Jay
1941 Caddy Series 61 ... Taking Offers
1970 Corvette
1987 El Camino ... For Sale

1969 Triumph Chopper 750cc
1974 Honda CB750 Original ... For Sale

Edward Hurst

I haven't had a lot of dealings with chrome shops except one.  I use Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN.  I have had them do ALL the chrome for a 1937 Cadillac 7019 and also a 1929 Buick I have.  Their chrome is so deep it is amazing.  It is far beyond any factory chrome I have ever seen on anything.
Plus, he gives me a 10% discount.  The discount was because he did so much for me.  Don't get me wrong, you get what you pay for.  I have found some pretty decent looking chrome but not like they do.  It all depends on how good you want it to look.  Also, the more you send.. probably gets a better price.
In addition to the basic chrome on the Cadillac, I had the tail light housings, headlight buckets, total interior metal and the front grill chromed and polished between and around all the ribs.  It didn't come from the factory like that.  It looks so good I sit and stare at it.
If you decide to send it to them you can let me know ahead of time and use my name.  A discount is a discount. :)
Ed

Hurst Engines in Jeffersonville, Indiana
MSF RiderCoach
Aircraft Machinist USAF (Ret)
Viet Nam Vet (U.S. Army)
Disabled American Veteran
Streetrod Builder/enthusiaist
1929 Buick 29-27
1937 Cadillac 7019
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
Mortec SBC Engine (Moderator)

TonyZappone #2624

Ken Caskey, haven't talked in a while.  Where is your shop in Florida?
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

cadillac ken

Hi Tony:  the shop is in West Melbourne.  Kidd Darrins  kidddarrins.com

Regards, Ken in FL

stzomah

Hey Cadillac Bob, I bought a full 56 front bumper triple chromed and shipped from CA to NJ for 1,850.  I plan to take my current bumper off and sell it on ebay.  Shipped with a 2X4 wrapped in it to keep it from bending.  Fantastic chrome job and shipping.  Moparbaby on ebay.
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975

stzomah

Correction;  Moparbaby67 is the ebay name... and it was $1,780
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975

blugg

Nearly everyone above has said what needed to be said, there is no rushing nor discounting quality chrome plating.

here some experiences with positive results (note none are "cheap" as subjective a term that is)

Pauls Chrome in Evans City PA

Advanced Plating in Nashville TN

The Finishing Touch in Chicago IL
         on a side note here is the 28 minute video that covers what re-chroming restoration takes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27tD_K2t84U

short cuts and being cheap dont go hand in hand with chrome restoration.    Pay once, cry once.

Walter Youshock

Look at the underside of the gull wings on the front bumper.  You'll see the surface is rough because the cores themselves were not ground smooth.  That detail will be gone after new plating. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham