News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Full flow Air Filters like Spectre work better then Fram??

Started by nanaimogene, March 24, 2017, 01:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanaimogene

Should
I install in my  79 Eldorado a full flow air filter over the standard ?
I know from experience any slow down of air flow (like a dirty filter)
hinders car performance .Has anybody here installed one of those
washable filters from Spectre or Kool Blue ? They claim a slight
increase in HP and improved gas mileage. These filters cost up to three
times more. Also very hard to find in Canada. So before I buy American,
is there a noticeable difference then standard? Thanks Gene

TJ Hopland

Interesting question.  I started typing a very long and probably boring to most answer then decided to go for the short answer instead.

The short answer is this car has a lot of other things going against it efficiency wise so anything you do with the air filter within reason will have zero effect on power or economy.  If you were to really restrict the airflow you would likely end up with issues like fouling spark plugs or plugging the cat before you really noticed a change in the economy.    If you went to some extreme ram air system you would probably end up having lean issues and damaging the engine before you saw a economy change. 

On my Olds engines I have been running Fram Air Hog filters which is their version of the K&N.   I'm not running them because I think they are better than a standard filter.  I am running them because they were on sale at Rock Auto for like $3 each which was cheaper than the cheap Frams that I don't like and every parts place stocks.    Napa Gold which is made my WIX is my go to for filters most of the time.   I did have a K&N on one car but it was like $40 vs $35 for the 'OE' paper one so I figure what the heck.   

One thing to remember is on pre 96ish stuff the fuel systems were not that smart and were designed as a system to all work together so if you do something to increase the flow you could be throwing the whole system off.   This goes for the earlier EFI, and very early EFI like we are talking about here as well as carbs.   The reason things changed around 96 is that was when most systems got the Mass Airflow Sensors.   The mass airflow sensor combined with other sensors allows the computer to know exactly the volume and density of incoming air so it could perfectly match the fuel.   80's style EFI made an educated guess on what the density proabbly was and then monitored the exhaust (o2 sensor) to see if it guessed right and then made adjustments as needed.   The 96+ systems get it right 99% of the time so they don't have to react and adjust after the fact.  On these the incoming air makes no difference unless you are pushing the limits and just can't get enough air.   IF you do change the induction system to get more air that may not help because the fuel system may not be able to support it and or the computer won't know what to do with it.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Gene,
Short answer; Save your money.  If a better filter would have made an appreciable difference in the cars's performance it would have been designed in.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

nanaimogene

Thank you guys for your input. For now I will stick to stock air filter. Don't want to confuse cars Map sensor which I tested and is working fine. I may experiment on my
carburetor run cars. Jay Leno really states how important a car has to breath though he has never mentioned ( I know of ) the washable full flow filters. My neighbor has a large RV with a Ford engine and it requires a washable full flow filter. I think the only advantage is the filters are washable using the special clean kit.

J. Gomez

Gene,

I did purchase the K&N re-chargeable filters for my regular driving vehicles there is/was a slight performance increase when these were install but my major reason was $$.

Paying $45 plus for the normal filters every so often to me was a waste of my money, buying the K&N for about the same price and allowing me to re-used it was the way to go.

Sorry but when it comes to $$ I’m frugal in throwing it away, maybe a bit more of a cheapskate.    ;D
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

bcroe

Quote from: nanaimogene
Should
I install in my  79 Eldorado a full flow air filter over the standard ?
I know from experience any slow down of air flow (like a dirty filter)
hinders car performance .Has anybody here installed one of those
washable filters from Spectre or Kool Blue ? They claim a slight
increase in HP and improved gas mileage. These filters cost up to three
times more. Also very hard to find in Canada. So before I buy American,
is there a noticeable difference then standard? Thanks Gene

A better air filter won't increase your mileage, because your car has a MAP
sensor to compensate.  Better flow just means close the throttle a tiny
bit, engine can't tell the difference.  The right filter COULD increase HP
a bit, but you would gain a lot more by ditching the original Cat Converter
and putting on a really low restriction exhaust.  And put on a (bigger) 76-77
Seville throttle body, instead of that restrictive 79.  Bruce Roe